Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:17AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-06-2006 5:40PM 
Drowning

Source: TJ South
theres nothing wrong with techno either, though the whole remix phase did kinda go overboard

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-06-2006 7:21PM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Source: TJ South
i am going to put my vote in for the non rebellion stage of things. hippies arent as common. instead of sporting flower shirts and protesting the ban on pot, we wear pink polos and quietly discuss the virtues of medicinal marijuana.

btw, i am not a fan or rap or classic rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-06-2006 8:01PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
ben laden wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
ben laden wrote:
Sczroer wrote:
You know, I actually cringed when you referred to the possibility of rap becoming a "classic" of any sort.

I actually cringed at your close-mindedness and obvious naivete and complete ignorance. You shouldn't even be commenting on a subject that you apparently have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Edit: Oh, and there already are rap classics, so both of you can shove it up your ass.

damn son. i agree with you partly, but this is to get peoples opinions and thoughts on the matter, if you know so much (which i dont doubt you do) share with us and cure our complete ignorance

What is there to cure? They obviously shoved off an entire genre of music because it's not their cup of tea. The genre happens to be one that has a wealth of "classics" and amazing songs. I'm not even an extremely big rap fan and I know this.

Outkast - The Love Below: This is an amazing concept album that skillfully blends rap, hip-hop, pop, and even some rock tinges.

ANYTHING by 2Pac (or Tupac or Makaveli or whatever you know him by)

Sage Francis: The lesser known, but arguably better, white rapper has tons of songs that should be in people's playlists. Check out Crack Pipes, Personal Journalist, Makeshift Patriot (an amazing critique of America and it's media post-9/11), Sea Lion, Escape Artist, and Slow Down Gandhi. He is flat-out one of the best lyricists in ANY music genre, and his flow is damn incredible at times as well.

Saul Williams: Formerly a slam-poet, and his unique style definitely shows it. Check out Untimely Meditations, Om Nia American, List of Demands, and Wine.

Eminem: The man's influence on our culture and on rap itself can't be denied. Pay attention to his lyrics and his flow to understand why he's had such staying power.

Kanye West: There's a reason all the music critics have jerked off all over BOTH of his albums. He makes incredibly listenable albums, and they're very diverse and showcases his talent not only for rhymes but for incorporating all types of genres into his rap.

Ludacris: This guy flows better than about everyone. His rhymes are awesome too. Check out Rollout, Southern Fried Intro, and Eyebrows Down.

And I'm not even a huge rap fan, this is just what I have that amazes me.

You fucking dolt. These are by no means classic hip hop tracks. These are "white suburban kids on the fringe introduction to hip hop" tracks.

Classic hip hop albums weren't released in the past 10 years. Classic hip hop is Public Enemy, Ultramagnetic MCs, Kool Mo Dee, Scott La Rock, Boogie Down Productions, Run DMC, Slick Rick, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, etc. The true innovators. The ones with a vision.

If you don't know the history of the genre, you are in no place to defend it.

Sczroer wrote:
You know, I actually cringed when you referred to the possibility of rap becoming a "classic" of any sort.

Can you believe it?!?! They're putting negroes in the same respectable light as Lynyrd Skynyrd!! I will not stand for this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-06-2006 8:08PM 
Major General

Source: RC I
way to pull the race card buddy... honestly...

did you ever think that it's just because they didn't like the music??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-06-2006 8:36PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: RC I
midgey wrote:
ben laden wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
ben laden wrote:
Sczroer wrote:
I'm a dumbfuck.

rabble rabble rant rave rave

i'm a moderate, so therefore i'm a pussy

What is there to cure? They obviously shoved off an entire genre of music because it's not their cup of tea. The genre happens to be one that has a wealth of "classics" and amazing songs. I'm not even an extremely big rap fan and I know this.

Outkast - The Love Below: This is an amazing concept album that skillfully blends rap, hip-hop, pop, and even some rock tinges.

ANYTHING by 2Pac (or Tupac or Makaveli or whatever you know him by)

Sage Francis: The lesser known, but arguably better, white rapper has tons of songs that should be in people's playlists. Check out Crack Pipes, Personal Journalist, Makeshift Patriot (an amazing critique of America and it's media post-9/11), Sea Lion, Escape Artist, and Slow Down Gandhi. He is flat-out one of the best lyricists in ANY music genre, and his flow is damn incredible at times as well.

Saul Williams: Formerly a slam-poet, and his unique style definitely shows it. Check out Untimely Meditations, Om Nia American, List of Demands, and Wine.

Eminem: The man's influence on our culture and on rap itself can't be denied. Pay attention to his lyrics and his flow to understand why he's had such staying power.

Kanye West: There's a reason all the music critics have jerked off all over BOTH of his albums. He makes incredibly listenable albums, and they're very diverse and showcases his talent not only for rhymes but for incorporating all types of genres into his rap.

Ludacris: This guy flows better than about everyone. His rhymes are awesome too. Check out Rollout, Southern Fried Intro, and Eyebrows Down.

And I'm not even a huge rap fan, this is just what I have that amazes me.

You fucking dolt. These are by no means classic hip hop tracks. These are "white suburban kids on the fringe introduction to hip hop" tracks.

Classic hip hop albums weren't released in the past 10 years. Classic hip hop is Public Enemy, Ultramagnetic MCs, Kool Mo Dee, Scott La Rock, Boogie Down Productions, Run DMC, Slick Rick, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, etc. The true innovators. The ones with a vision.

If you don't know the history of the genre, you are in no place to defend it.

Sorry, should have put a disclaimer there. I didn't intend for those albums I listed to be what I thought of as "classics." Mainly those are the albums that I'd tell someone who was ignorant of rap to listen to to introduce themselves to the genre. But are you saying 2Pac produced no classic albums? Are you saying that Eminem may never go down as having made a classic album? The rest I agree with, they'll probably be forgotten in history, but 2Pac and Em? I think their influence was too great.

midgey wrote:
These are "white suburban kids on the fringe introduction to hip hop" tracks.

You know, that's ironic, because I'm totally a white suburban kid and don't listen to a whole lot of rap. Oh wait......that's not irony.

And I'll defend a genre if it's against the ignorance of idiots, regardless of how much I know about it. I didn't know I was just supposed to sit around and wait for you to post so you could be the defender that we all hoped for.

In conclusion, stick the dick back in your mouth.