Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 4:10AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tool concert last night in KC
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 5:58PM 
Drowning

Source: Fidelity
my god it was amazing. I mean the tool songs are tool songs but what really makes it awesome is the visuals and the performance. The entire stage was white which at points it became one big screen that played their music videos or other amazing visuals. They had a pretty rediculous laser light show, to 10,000 days part 1 where there is thunder and lighting, so with the fog machines and the lasers it made it look like clouds. Really though if there is one thing you do before you die, you must see tool live.

Oh yea, ISIS was pretty good as well, not too many lyrics but a nice metal-ish jam kinda deal. Pretty powerful music.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 6:40PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Kelly Hall
I would have gone solely for ISIS, and Tool could have fucked off and died for all I care. ISIS is by far the best band making music today.

How much did tickets cost you, anyways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 7:33PM 
Drowning

nonGA first floor seats were $55

whats the beef w/ tool, i mean i know your all particular, and maybe the new cd wasnt the best, but that was the best damn concert ive been too.

I really did like ISIS, i need to pick some up i thought it had some really powerful progressions, 2 guitarists, 1 guitarist/keyboard, drum and bass was really nice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 8:07PM 
Major General

Never heard of ISIS, what sort of music are they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 8:23PM 
Drowning

i hate to say its kinda like tool, i think id say that just because i was in a tool mood and they hit it, but from what they played it was on the mellow side but pretty powerful. Definately worth checking out

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 9:44PM 
Major General

Source: VPN
LostBoyz wrote:
i hate to say its kinda like tool, i think id say that just because i was in a tool mood and they hit it, but from what they played it was on the mellow side but pretty powerful. Definately worth checking out

They don't seem too bad. I just, umm, bought. Yeah....bought....a few of their albums and so far I'm liking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 9:59PM 
Major General

I'm listening to their stuff on their website right now, and they sound fucking fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:08PM 

devil wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

They don't seem too bad. I just, umm, bought. Yeah....bought....a few of their albums and so far I'm liking.

They are officially called post-rock, although some others may describe them as sludge-rock. This is because their older stuff (i.e. first 4 EPs and full-length album) is technically very sludge-rock esque. However, their latest 3 full-lengths have gone in a very ambient-ish, layered, atmospheric direction and thus have moved them more in a post-rock territory.
As I can assume you can tell from their music, their songs tend to go on a longer-than-average length, and with the incredibly "different" vocal styling/pace they are not very popular, as they'll never be in the mainstream.
If you need any more of their albums Devil, I can try to find a way to get them to you.
I have The Red Sea EP, SGNL>05 EP, Sawblade EP, Oceanic, Panopticon, and In the Absence of Truth. The last three are in my mind the only ones worth checking out, as they are modern rock masterpieces.

LostBoyz wrote:
whats the beef w/ tool, i mean i know your all particular, and maybe the new cd wasnt the best, but that was the best damn concert ive been too.

I really did like ISIS, i need to pick some up i thought it had some really powerful progressions, 2 guitarists, 1 guitarist/keyboard, drum and bass was really nice.

By all means, I have nothing against Tool, just my music tastes have evolved and matured and expanded so much that, quite frankly, ISIS eclipses Tool in every single way possible. They may be slightly less instrumentally inclined, but the soundscapes they create surpass anything Tool has ever done in my opinion. When I listen to Tool, I remember what good music is. When I listen to ISIS, I remember why music is the biggest passion in my life and why it makes me so happy. There's a huge difference there. I cannot say enough how amazing ISIS is once you truly get into them. Although I'm aware of how big of an influence Tool has on you, I hope you find this out too.
I strongly urge both of you to read up on ISIS, similar artists such as Red Sparowes and Pelican, and post-rock in general. It's an eye-opening genre, as everything in it goes against so many conceps in other genres.

Oh, and I'm sure if I would have been there I would have thought it was the best concert I've been too as well, but as of yet, NIN and Muse (twice) are my best concert memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:27PM 
Major General

Ben Laden, I'm about to start a thread, and I'd like your help with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:35PM 

Ok???? Go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:33PM 
Drowning

I understand more why ISIS can be more influential to you, although liking a band more then another dosent mean the other sucks.

I think tool in its earlier days had a similar affect but bands cant keep being progressive, well....that progressive over an extensive period of time, and if they completely changed then they would be forgotten or criticized for not sticking to their style. i agree for example that tools new album did not break new barriers or blew my mind, and is kind of more of the same but at one point they did break those barriers and I love the new album because it gave me the chance of seeing them

and tool has also inspired a lot of my creative side, whether its adam jones or the artists they have used, cam de leon and alex grey being the biggest, have definately driven my thought processes when making the things I do.

but I need to check out those albums you listed, because I only heard the 4 or 5 songs they played last night

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:43PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:
but I need to check out those albums you listed, because I only heard the 4 or 5 songs they played last night

I found what appears to be their whole discography at some CD store, so you won't have any problem getting them. They're pretty good albums.

Last edited by devil on Sat 09-16-2006 11:57PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:46PM 
Drowning

*blah blah blah*

nothing to see here

Last edited by LostBoyz on Sat 09-16-2006 11:52PM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:50PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:
i think you forgot buffalo lives downstairs, who gave you such resources

yeah, I think I said too much....

Last edited by devil on Sat 09-16-2006 11:56PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:52PM 
Drowning

possibly going to far but yea, im just going to edit my posts

Profile E-mail