Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:29PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Suggest to me some new music
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:36PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
6,000 songs and I've run out of things to listen to. I need something new. However, I'm a musical enigma. I'm open to all styles of music, but I tend to binge on a style of music every 2-3 weeks. My lastest binge was Apocalyptica, but now I'm searching for something new. To give you direction, I was raised as a classical pianist, so anything with an orchestrated feel suits me well. I gravitate towards traditional blues/jazz, classical, classic rock, classic acid rock, classic punk, new hard punk, almost any variation of metal, and most music that reeks of soul and passion (my binge before Apocalyptica was anything by Cee-Lo Green, probably brought on by his revival in Gnarls Barkley). I'm looking for something epic, very complex. Start throwing bands at me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:38PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Kelly Hall
Oh man, this is like serving a fucking buffet for me. Hold on, it'll take me a second to copy and paste and alter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:39PM 
Major General

No problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 10:54PM 
Colonel

I highly recommend Kamelot, specifically the Epica and Black Halo albums. Kind of epic melodic metal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:17PM 
Major General

Ben Laden's been at it for awhile now, should we send a rescue team? Thanks for the suggestion dash, I'll check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:23PM 
Colonel

If you need any, I sorta have a lot of mostly power-metal and similar genres of tunes. I could send a list if you so desire.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:25PM 
Major General

Absolutely. I'm looking to listen to a pretty big variety of groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:37PM 
Colonel

Do you have a better way to send it than just PM or something? That would be kind of a long nasty PM. Maybe IM me?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:42PM 

METAL-CORE - This genre is typically characterized by harsh/extreme/brutal vocals and better-than-average instrumentation, with a guitar emphasis and bass de-emphasis in the production mix. Drumming is anywhere from medium to high in the mix, with technicality of drummers being typically very good and with lots of double bass/blast beats.
Start With: All That Remains, Darkest Hour, Haste the Day, Himsa, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Underoath
If You Like, Move On To: August Burns Red, Burn In Silence, Converge, Screams of Erida, The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Cream of the Crop: Darkest Hour, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge

POST-ROCK - This genre is classified by ambient sound-scapes that typically spend many minutes building up, evolving, and changing, usually this build-up is toward an explosive climax. If the phrase "wall of sound" could be used in only one place, it'd be to describe this genre. Vocals, when they're even present, are typically low in the mix and either yelled or screamed. Many post-rock bands are instrumental though and focus on creating beautiful ambient soundscapes.
Start With: Explosions in the Sky, ISIS, Pelican, Russian Circles
If You Like, Move On To: Godspeed You! Black Emporer, Jaga Jazzist, Red Sparowes, Sigur Ros
Cream of the Crop: Pretty much all of it

PROGRESSIVE - Characterized by atypical instrumentation and song structures. Very hard to describe, as such a vast variety of sounds exist within this genre
Cream of the Crop: Circa Survive, Rush, The Mars Volta

PROGRESSIVE METAL - Just as in progressive rock, there is also an immense variety of sounds within this genre. However, unlike in progressive, this genre has an emphasis on a "harder" metal sound. The staples of the genre are EXTREMELY technical, virtuosic instrumentation, long song lengths, and in many cases power-metal-esque vocals.
Start With: Dream Theater, Freak Kitchen, Office of Strategic Influence (OSI), Tool
If You Like, Move On To: Devin Townsend, Gordian Knot, Pain of Salvation, Spastic Ink, Symphony X
Cream of the Crop: Dream Theater, Tool, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X

ALTERNATIVE - Typically just used to describe bands that don't fit into a specific genre but aren't obtuse enough to make their own genre.
Start With: A Perfect Circle, Incubus, Lostprophets, Ours, Queens of the Stone Age, Sparta, The Bloodhound Gang, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
If You Like, Move On To: Coheed and Cambria, Coldplay, Dredg, Jewel, Muse, Porcupine Tree, Portugal. The Man!, Radiohead
Cream of the Crop: A Perfect Circle, Ours, Dredg, Muse, Porcupine Tree

POST-HARDCORE: - An offshoot of the hardcore genre, the production mix is heavily guitar-based and vocals are usually shouted or yelled, or in a few cases screamed. Some bands will have more than one vocalist, whether they have a clean singer and screamer or two screamers. Fast tempos.
Start With: At the Drive-In, Emery, Saosin, Thrice
If You Like, Move On To: Alexisonfire, GLassjaw, The Rise
Cream of the Crop: Emery, Thrice, Alexisonfire

METAL: - Marked by a heavy, thick sound with a focus on the drums and guitar. Strong, consistent rhythms. This is the genre bands are most likely to be under-represented in, as many sub-genres and varied forms of metal exist.
Start With: Chevelle, Deftones, Iron Maiden, Mudvayne [more math-metaly], Nine Inch Nails [electronic-oriented], Pantera, System of a Down [more math/progressive-metaly]
If You Like, Move On To: Cradle of Filth [gothy/symphonicy/extreme metal], Iced Earth [heavy/power metal], Lamb of God [thrashy-metal], Mastodon [progressive/sludge/hardcore/jazz-metal], Megadeth, Nevermore [progressive metal, but not prog enough to be in prog-metal], Sonata Arctica [power metal], Strapping Young Lad [extremely heavy metal]
Cream of the Crop: Deftones, Iron Maiden, NIN, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Sonata Arctica

INSTRUMENTAL: - Basically what it says: no vocals in these bands. Unfortunately, that's leaves a wide variety of various sub-genres of instrumentals.
Start With: Apocalyptica, Blue Man Group, Buckethead [metal with virtuosic guitarist], Derek Sherinian [metal, lots of solos], Liquid Tension Experiment [prog rock]
IYL, MOT: Behold...the Arctopus [prog/tech metal], Hella [spastic math/noise rock], The Mahavishnu Orchestra [jazz-rock fusion], Volta Do Mar [math rock]
Cream of the Crop: Liquid Tension Experiment, Behold...the Arctopus, Hella, The Mahavishnu Orchestra

DEATH METAL - Typically dark lyrics, rejection of typical song-structures, technical instrumentation, fast and intense. Drummers of the genre are typically some of the most talented (at least in terms of speed) drummers in any genre of music. Vocals are usually grunted or growled. Abrupt tempo and time signature changes, musicians typically rival classical and jazz fusion musicians in terms of difficulty of material. One of the most misunderstood genres of music.
Start With: Opeth [prog-death], The Black Dahlia Murder [melodic death metal]
IYL, MOT: Necrophagist [extremely tech-death], Neuraxis, Pavor
Cream of the Crop: Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Necrophagist

HARDCORE - Grew from the punk rock movement, but heavier and faster than punk. Usually short, loud songs.
Cream of the Crop: Error [electro-hardcore], Mindless Self Indulgence [industrial electro-hardcore], The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower [jazz-based hardcore]

NOISE-ROCK - Atonal, unconvential song structures (if at all), many times jazz-influenced. Shares similarities to math-rock.
Cream of the Crop: An Albatross [circus-hardcore], Lightning Bolt, The Flying Luttenbachers [concept-band]

HIP-HOP: Common, Kanye West, Sage Francis, Saul Williams
All of these are extremely intelligent musicians and are worth being checked out.

wow, that took way longer than I thought it would. I can give you specific song suggestions if you'd like.
Oh, my name is Ben Williams if you want to look me up on Facebook and see the complete list (without description of course, though--this is like a fucking novel).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:46PM 
Major General

I owe you much, sir. Don't worry about giving me specific song reccomendations, as I will probably listen to each band on that list. Also, if anyone is curious, I'm going into training as a DJ at KMNR. When I get my own show, I'm thinking of leaving an open request line on Seek. Is anyone interested in that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:51PM 
Major General

Well, from your descriptions, I think I'm going to start with some of the Post-Rock, Instrumental, and Death Metal bands and work my way from there. Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Thanks a ton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:52PM 
Major General

kjk437 wrote:
I owe you much, sir. Don't worry about giving me specific song reccomendations, as I will probably listen to each band on that list. Also, if anyone is curious, I'm going into training as a DJ at KMNR. When I get my own show, I'm thinking of leaving an open request line on Seek. Is anyone interested in that?

Not to stray too off topic here, but KMNR is 89.7 right? Because I can't pick it up in my car at all :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:52PM 

Yeah, i'm a DJ at KMNR, that's where I get a lot of music from. I like the idea of an open request line on Seek though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-16-2006 11:59PM 
Colonel

I haven't had much luck getting KMNR either. Not sure why.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 09-17-2006 12:41AM 
Colonel

http://web.umr.edu/~rpwxb3/list.txt

Profile E-mail