Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 3:31AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Heroes (Possible Spoilers!)
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 1:34PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
Well, I just watched the first 5 episodes of this show, and I have got to say, it is awesome. So suspenseful, yet very deep as well. I can't wait for the next one tonight.

Anyone else notice a couple things though? That one symbol, like the integral sign with a couple lines on it, it keeps showing up everywhere. Like when the cop is talking with the CIA and FBI chicks, the stuff in the pool is made to look like the symbol.

Also, anyone notice that the picture of Dr. Suresh on the back of his book changed from the first time we saw it in Episode 2 or 3. When they show it a second time, he is a different actor and has a turbin on. I don't know if this is a goof or something to come.

And if you look on IMDB.com at the full cast of characters, it is funny to see who plays "Sylar." I will let you look it up for yourself.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 2:48PM 
Major

Source: CivilE Building
Yeah, I'm enjoying it quite thorougly. I think it'll be great if they rap it up in one season and don't try to make it a full-blown, multi-season series. I mean, I know they "could" do it and "possibly" pull it off, but I doubt they could do it gracefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 3:15PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
Eh, the suspense is a bit overdone, IMO. I mean, sure, cliffhangers are all well and good, but you don't have to end EVERY SINGLE DAMN SCENE on a suspenseful note. The complete and utter lack of plot explanation is getting a bit old, too . . . we're a decent way into the season, can we please have SOME clue what's going on?

(Note: I wouldn't be bitching so much if the series weren't really good other than these factors :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 3:44PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Sonicpulsar wrote:
Yeah, I'm enjoying it quite thorougly. I think it'll be great if they rap it up in one season and don't try to make it a full-blown, multi-season series. I mean, I know they "could" do it and "possibly" pull it off, but I doubt they could do it gracefully.

Ditto. Two seasons at the most, but just one longish season would probably be just about perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 4:05PM 
Brigadier General

I don't think the suspense is as overdone as, say, in "24," but it keeps you wanting more. I think it is more of a way to keep a steady audience than part of the actual plot. I like the way it is kinda laid out like comic book series, in that each character has their own story but interacts with each other at the same time.

The lack of explanation reminds me a lot of "Lost" during its first few episodes, or even season. I actually only watched a couple episodes out of order, but was so lost in the plot I felt I couldn't watch another one for fear of missing something important. Now I don't really care what is going on there or even feel inclined to watch previous episodes unless it is in succession. That could be a problem in Heroes if they are not careful.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 7:01PM 
Major General

Source: RC I
I've seen a few articles comparing Heroes to Lost, some saying that Heroes is the show to have finally "cracked" the Lost formula.. if Lost is any indication as to what's going to happen.. I'd say it's here to stay for a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 11:48PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I agree that they overdo the suspense too. I would love this and 24 way more if they would cut that out and stick in more real material. They could also easily keep it going for more than one season. This season could be about the bomb in New York and next season could be about something else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-30-2006 11:55PM 
Major General

Source: RC I
If it is as I believe, this entire season one will be the characters finding their talents and getting grip of having them. season two will probably be mastering them. season three might be using them... it could continue endlessly after 3.. probably will be a sub-section of a season where the good doctor goes all crazy research and finds the gene/mutation that causes the superpowers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-31-2006 12:55AM 
Major

Agentzak wrote:
This season could be about the bomb in New York and next season could be about something else.

Yeah, that was I was basically saying. They "could" stretch it out and make more and bigger problems emerge. They can always add more heroes and villains forever, but at some point, it would become silly and cease being "graceful." I'd love to see a firm beginning, middle and end. The end (as always) will be the tricky part.

The writers do have the ultimate "trump" card with Hiro. He can go back and change any number of things. The fact that the one episode with him coming back from the future to tell Peter to "save the cheerleader" with a perfect American accent and an attitude leads one to believe years have gone by to make that change within Hiro. Unless, of course, there's some other "hero" who can make people learn/change quickly. Who knows?

It'll be interesting, but the first time they do something ridiculously stupid for the sake of continuing the series, I'll probably bow out and wait for the whole series to be done and then revisit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-01-2006 12:17AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
My predictions:

Season 1: Meet each other, learn how to use powers, find da bomb, cheerleader girl eats the bomb, and saves the day.

Season 2: Mastering of powers, first real issues of how to use them (ie: what is good and bad). Maybe cool uniforms. Bad guy=dude who planted da bomb. Flying Congressman gets busted.

Season 3: Finding of new people (incl. psycho bitch's son), teaching them to use powers. Season finale: Kill guy who planted da bomb, and did bad shit in Season 2. Flying congressman is one of the new dudes. First round of people hate the mutants (read: X-Men).

Season 4: Split in the group, equivically civil war amongst mutants.

Season 5: Final season, more people. Bad mutants do bad shit, good mutants stop them while being persecuted by everyone else. They save the day, big gay happy ending.

Survivors: Cheerleader, Flying guy (not the congressman), the painter, Hiro, Psyco bitch.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-01-2006 1:30AM 
Brigadier General

mad duck wrote:
Flying guy (not the congressman)

I was thinking about this yesterday watching the show. Is he really a "flying guy?" I think his powers are more "Rogue-esque," he can use the powers of the people around him. Think about it and watch each scene he uses his powers in. Taking that into account, I think it will be a combo of him and the cheerleader taking care of the bomb, if that is what it really is.

I don't think the crazy girl will survive all the way through. In fact, I think she is going to be a good/evil person that will never take a side. Her husband and son will be good, but I don't think she can be.

Hiro is definitely my fav character so far. He has by far the best quotes and his encounter with Congressman's brother was way awesome.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-01-2006 1:33AM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
snocat17 wrote:
mad duck wrote:

I was thinking about this yesterday watching the show. Is he really a "flying guy?" I think his powers are more "Rogue-esque," he can use the powers of the people around him. Think about it and watch each scene he uses his powers in. Taking that into account, I think it will be a combo of him and the cheerleader taking care of the bomb, if that is what it really is.

I don't think the crazy girl will survive all the way through. In fact, I think she is going to be a good/evil person that will never take a side. Her husband and son will be good, but I don't think she can be.

Hiro is definitely my fav character so far. He has by far the best quotes and his encounter with Congressman's brother was way awesome.

Isn't the crazy bitch dead now? Or was I confused by that ending?

And you are right about the non Congress Patrelli. The congressman can fly, his brother can simply imitate (or maybe steal) the powers of those around him.

My biggest question is what is the role of the Agent and mindwiper. I (naturally) assume they are bad guys...but now I am wondering if maybe they arent bad necessarily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-01-2006 12:44PM 
Brigadier General

lordofstars wrote:
snocat17 wrote:
mad duck wrote:

I was very perplexed as to whether or not she is now dead as well. I think she has too much of a developed character to kill her off now. I think her husband just messed with something inside of her to immobilize her. Maybe the Agent will find her and resurrect her? That would be a cool twist.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-01-2006 5:45PM 
Major

lordofstars wrote:

And you are right about the non Congress Patrelli. The congressman can fly, his brother can simply imitate (or maybe steal) the powers of those around him.

My biggest question is what is the role of the Agent and mindwiper. I (naturally) assume they are bad guys...but now I am wondering if maybe they arent bad necessarily.

I don't think she's dead. I wasn't left with any impression at all that either side of her was dead.

On questioning whether the horn-rimmed glasses and his mind-wiping associate are evil, you merely need to look at a couple of facts already in place. When Hiro jumped to the future when the bomb goes off, the heroine guy had had his brain "removed" or some such. They wiped the mind of the raping kid. They're doing some sort of experiments on the cop. They tried to kidnap the congressman. They're setting up the Indian.

While I'd entertain the idea that all of this has been done with some greater good in mind, I seriously doubt it. The writers have shown absolutely no ambiguity in the outcome/reason for the "evil" guy's actions. I mean, we've seen absolutely no hint of their work and effort being applied to prevent bad things or help good people.

Writers have done crazier things in other series/movies, but I don't see this one having that kind of twist. But it does annoy me that future-Hiro left Peter with no good knowledge other than "save the cheerleader." Wtf. At least say when or where or how. Throw some hints down about the horn-rimmed glasses dude or ANYTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-01-2006 5:57PM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
Sonicpulsar wrote:
lordofstars wrote:

I don't think she's dead. I wasn't left with any impression at all that either side of her was dead.

On questioning whether the horn-rimmed glasses and his mind-wiping associate are evil, you merely need to look at a couple of facts already in place. When Hiro jumped to the future when the bomb goes off, the heroine guy had had his brain "removed" or some such. They wiped the mind of the raping kid. They're doing some sort of experiments on the cop. They tried to kidnap the congressman. They're setting up the Indian.

While I'd entertain the idea that all of this has been done with some greater good in mind, I seriously doubt it. The writers have shown absolutely no ambiguity in the outcome/reason for the "evil" guy's actions. I mean, we've seen absolutely no hint of their work and effort being applied to prevent bad things or help good people.

Writers have done crazier things in other series/movies, but I don't see this one having that kind of twist. But it does annoy me that future-Hiro left Peter with no good knowledge other than "save the cheerleader." Wtf. At least say when or where or how. Throw some hints down about the horn-rimmed glasses dude or ANYTHING.

So did he just leave her unconcious then? Cause he definetly had his arm inside her. The reason I thought she was dead was because of the whole background talking about evolution and how you either can die from it.

The glasses guy did have the cop mindwiped. But after that wipe the cops powers were much greater. Maybe he was helping him? Maybe that was intention with Patrelli? Now wiping the rapist was bad...but he was acting out of revenge on his daughter.

And the brain thing I bet was caused by Syler (sp?). But I don't know.