* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 7:27AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Top Albums of the Year
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 2:33PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Kelly Hall
Yep, it's about that time of year.

The only band that has an album coming out between now and the end of the year that would have a chance of making it on the list seems to be Incubus (or if you're a fan of hip-hop, Talib Kweli and Mos Def), so might as well do this now.

So everyone: What are your top 10 albums of the year (and why, if you're so inclined)?

I will put mine up later today probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 3:28PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
1. Pick of Destiny Soundtrack
2. Audioslave-Revolations
3. Wolfmother
4. RHCP-Stadium Arcadium
5. Tool 10000 days
6. Breaking Benjamin- phobia
7. Damone-Out here all night
8. Gnarls Barkley-swt elsewhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 3:48PM 

10. Keane - Under the Iron Sea
OMGZ, THIS ISN'T METAL, WUT R U DOING??!! Yeah, it isn't metal, you got me. What it IS is a very catchy, well written piano rock album. And unlike Hopes and Fears, it has significantly less "happy"-sounding songs, giving Under the Iron Sea a darker feel than their earlier efforts.

9. Converge - No Heroes
Have you heard of Converge? If so, you already know that each of the songs on this album is going to be a swift kick in the nuts. Well, actually, with this album you'd be wrong. Converge somehow find a way to incorporate sludge, epic metalcore, post-rock, emo, and hardcore, turn all of them on their heads, and give them a good Converge treatment. Highly recommended if you like your metal fast, extreme, and brutal.

8. Dredg - Live at the Fillmore
This is a live album, which I would normally be against having on a "top of the year" list, except for two things. One, it's Dredg. Two, the album is basically a collection of all of their best songs. Of course, they couldn't get ALL of their best songs on an album, since it'd have to be a double album, but you get the point. The album is definitely aimed to please the El Cielo crowd, but there are also classics from Catch Without Arms and even a couple songs from Lietmotif. Recommended if you want to hear an alternative rock band that has progressive blood running through their veins.

7. Russian Circles - Enter
Ah, another instrumental post-rock album. However, this band has more in common with metal than a band such as, say, Explosions in the Sky. At first glance, you might think the album is a little skimpy since there are only 6 songs. Luckily, RC follows in the vein of longer post-rock groups, and they easily flesh out the 6 songs to a length of about 45 minutes. Some songs follow the buildup-climax-fadeoff formula, but some songs simply get right into it. And when they climax and get to the break down, they REALLY rock. It's hard to believe a trio of musicians can create an album that sounds as full as this, but they've accomplished it. I look forward to seeing this group grow and become one of the premier instrumental rock groups.

6. Sikth - Death of a Dead Day
Wow. It's hard to introduce this band. They basically take hardcore, metal-core, death metal, jazz fusion, technical metal, and progressive rock, put them in a blender, and pour out a smooth blend of metal that sounds incredibly unique among the generic garbage that metal-core seems to breed these days. It's honestly almost impossible to describe these guys; you simply have to listen to them if you're a fan of metal. With any luck, these guys will be the next big thing.

5. Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Ok, let's get this out of the way. The average song length on here is just over seven and a half minutes. And that's only because one of the 8 is 1:45 long. With that said, the Red Sparowes (somewhat of a super-group among post-rock and post-metal musicians) create a wonderful instrumental post-rock album. The typical staples are here: the gradual instrumental build-up, the climaxing crescendo and break-down, and the gradual fade-off. It's all done in such a beautiful manner, however, that it seems to transcend any genre cliches, even as it follows them. Not to mention that, despite having no lyrics, the album is a concept album, telling of the "Great Leap Forward" through sentence-long song titles that, when put together, form a big paragraph. This album is post-rock, instrumental beauty at it's best.

4. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Mastodon is quickly making a name for themselves in the metal word as a "thinking-person's" type of metal. Their last two albums have been concept albums, and this album further establishes the sound of the two vocalists. Technical riffing abounds, spastic jazz-influenced drumming fills the rhythm section, and all the while a twisted story is being told. Highly recommended if you want a "different," unclassifiable type of metal to listen to.

3. The Mars Volta - Amputechture
What more is there to say about the Mars Volta? You either think they're pretentious, boring music snobs or you think they're revolutionary prog-geniuses. With this album, they combine the best parts of De-Loused and Frances the Mute to create something that is much more accessible and listenable than those other two albums, but doesn't quite reach the greatness of them either. Of course, it is still better and more original than nearly everything else coming out presently. There is a strange juxtaposition of songs with manageable lengths and 10+ minute epics. Additionally, the opening and closings songs are slow-moving and almost balladic. The only song that really falls on its face is Meccaamputechture--an 11 minute epic that starts off well enough but ends up just getting boring (not because of the length, just because of the song). On the flipside, the nearly 17 minute Tetragrammaton is one of the best songs on the album. And while we're talking about best songs on the album, Day of the Baphomet's intro bass solo and ending percussion solo are two highlights of the album. Additionally, Cedric goes through one of the best vocal performances of his life in the song.

2. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
This may not be Muse's best effort; it may not even be their second best. But even their third best album would be golden, as everything that Muse touches seems to sound good. Origin of Symmetry brought out the progressive side of Muse, while Absolution mixed the prog and poppy side seamlessly. Muse continue the transition, as the songs on BH&R are the poppiest things they've done. A first for the band is the frequent overlaying of guitars and piano/keyboard/synth (they need an extra temporary member when they play live to achieve this) which ends up giving the songs a "fuller" sound. Listen to "Knights of Cydonia" for what is one of the best AND catchiest songs Muse has ever made.

1. ISIS - In the Absence of Truth
Ah ISIS, the band that doesn't make good songs. Rather, they make good ALBUMS. When the band released Panopticon, it was a drastically different sound from Oceanic (which itself had been an expansion on the sound set forth in Celestial). This album is to Panopticon what Oceanic is to Celestial in that it is a further expansion of the lush atmospheric soundscapes established in Panopticon. They are taken to a much further degree though, with even longer instrumental interludes and more clean singing (!!). Not only that, but for the first time in ISIS' discography, the vocals are mixed fairly prominently. Get this album is you like amazing metal. Get this album if you like atmospheric, ambient soundscapes juxtaposed with crushing walls of sound. Get this album if you consider yourself a fan of good music, period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 4:32PM 
Brigadier General

Source: TJ North
I am still waiting for the new Brand New album, and the Our Lady Peace greatest hits album coming out next tuesday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 5:21PM 
I gotta have more cowbell

Source: Off Campus
ben laden wrote:
Ah ISIS, the band that doesn't make good songs. Rather, they make good ALBUMS. When the band released Panopticon, it was a drastically different sound from Oceanic (which itself had been an expansion on the sound set forth in Celestial). This album is to Panopticon what Oceanic is to Celestial in that it is a further expansion of the lush atmospheric soundscapes established in Panopticon. They are taken to a much further degree though, with even longer instrumental interludes and more clean singing (!!). Not only that, but for the first time in ISIS' discography, the vocals are mixed fairly prominently. Get this album is you like amazing metal. Get this album if you like atmospheric, ambient soundscapes juxtaposed with crushing walls of sound. Get this album if you consider yourself a fan of good music, period.

Agreed. Isis has been one of my favorite bands for a long time now, and this album is just as solid as the others that they've put out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 5:25PM 
Drowning

Source: Fidelity
Deftones-Saturday Night Wrist
It took me awhile to really get into it, but now i cant stop. Its very different at first but when thrown into the other songs on shuffle its definitely deftones.

Deftones-Bsides and Rarities
I think it came out this year (i bought it this summer). Has some great covers that they recorded with previous albums, a few acoustics and a pretty awesome track with B-real from cypress hill. The DVD is awesome as well with all their videos up to Self-titled, some commentary and live vids.

Tool-10,000 days
I wasnt fully content with it, I love every song on it, but it is not at progressive and they really didnt break any barriers, but it is new material from one of my favorite bands, it was on par just not beyond that.

Lustmord-Rising
Famous(if you look a little you will find his work everywhere) ambient artist's first live performance in 25 years. He did background audio for the church of satan's 40th aniversary on 6/6/06. Religious points aside it was mostly previous material but a better flow and ad-lib that made it really special

J5-Feedback
Great lyrics, great beats. Not much else to be said

Still waiting on Incubus-Light Grenades

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 5:30PM 

Bummy wrote:
ben laden wrote:

Agreed. Isis has been one of my favorite bands for a long time now, and this album is just as solid as the others that they've put out.

Just as?? Dare I say it, but I think it surpasses all their previous work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 5:33PM 
Major General

Source: MST Wireless
Hmmmm... And you're probably going to quiz me over this on the air, Ben (and I had no clue you're a Keane fan. I can't seem to get into them).

In no particular order (because honestly, I don't really rank them), I really like:

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
In Flames - Come Clarity
Mars Volta - Amputechture (if I had to pick a favorite this year, it would probably be this)
Weird Al Yankovic - Straight Outta' Lynwood (big ol' guilty pleasure)
Whiskey In The Jar: Essential Irish Drinking Songs And Sing Alongs (just fun, plain and simple)
Flogging Molly - Whiskey on a Sunday (great mix of live and acoustic)
ISIS - In the Absence of Truth
Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 5:49PM 
Colonel

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
I am still waiting for the new Brand New album, and the Our Lady Peace greatest hits album coming out next tuesday.

I concur with the the awaiting of Brand New's Next effort, just saw them in concert last week and now I can't wait for it. Question about OLP though, what did you think about Healthy in Paranoid Times? As somewhat of a fan of theirs who loved Gravity, I just couldn't get into their most recent release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 6:46PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
My favorite is definitely Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium.

I have been listening to it for almost 6 months now, and still not tired of it. The fact that is was 2 discs also furthers its case as best of the year.

10,000 days I also liked, but as much as RHCP.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 6:53PM 
Captain

Adding:

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Danny Elfman - Serenada Schizophrana
Joe Satriani - Super Colossal
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Also, Keane is generic shit piano rock. I like good piano rock, but this is not it. They are catchy, yes, but so is britney spears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 10:01PM 
Colonel

In no real order the best albums I've heard this year (some of the below albums did not come out this year as noted, but this year was the first time I had a chance to listen to them.):
Johnny Cash - American V: A Hundred Highways
Johnny Cash - Personal File
Slayer - Christ Illusion
Mushroomhead - Savior Sorrow
Rebel Meets Rebel - Rebel Meets Rebel
Lamb of God - Sacrament
Cowboy Mouth - Voodoo Shop
Danzig - Danzig III - How The Gods Kill (1992)
Poe - Haunted (2004)
Monks - Black Monk Time (1966/1994)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-14-2006 10:57PM 
Captain

Source: TJ North
Nosir wrote:

Wow someone else here likes The Decemberists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-15-2006 1:06AM 
Major

liverpoolfc wrote:
Nosir wrote:

Wow someone else here likes The Decemberists.

I concur. The Decemberists are absolutely amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-15-2006 1:31AM 
Major General

Source: RC I
1. Say Anything - ...Is A Real Boy/...Was A Real Boy
It's a re-release, but with added material. It's just too great not to put it on here. Check them out for some of the wittiest lyrics meshed with some of the catchiest music you'll hear in a while. Definitely my favorite band.

1. Lakes - Photographs EP
If you haven't checked these guys out or heard about them. Get their music any way you can. Made up of mainly former Watashi Wa members, Seth Rogers takes this new band on a great musical trip. Poppy, but still deep. Grounded at times, Epic at others.

2. UnderOath - Define the Great Line
If somebody is going to take hard/metal core mainstream it's these guys. This album had a darker taste that really drew me to it. They're Only Chasing Safety really just annoyed me with its techno blips and bleeps. Returning to the bands roots (sort of) was a great decison IMO.

3. +44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating
Great as it is. But man would I have loved the entire album to have been with Carol Heller (check the song Make You Smile). I think once this band finds it's true groove there will be some great stuff coming out.

4. AFI - Decemberunderground
Got turned on to AFI by this album. Took me awhile. Didn't really like this band at all, but hadn't given them a fair listen. Definitely going to go back through their older stuff. Only complaint is the second song on the album: It completely disrupted the flow of an otherwise superb album.

5. Norma Jean - Redeemer
More great material. Not the groundbreaking/genre defining that I believe BtM,KtC was; but still amazing.

Need to give some more attention to before I can say, but probably will make the list:
Copeland - Eat, Sleep, Repeat
The Album Leaf - Into The Blue Again
ActionReaction - 3 is the magic number