Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat 08-19-2017 10:31PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 1:22PM 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Tue 05-13-2008 8:47PM
Posts: 34

Source: RC II
I listen to pretty much every sub-genre. Though I'd have to say my favorites are Death, Diabolical Masquerade (hell, pretty much everything Swanö has done) and probably Haggard. Though lately I've been getting into Anata as well.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 1:26PM 
Offline
Drowning
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 9:36PM
Posts: 4949
Location: ~~~~\o/~~~~~

Source: Off Campus
uh huh, make me a list and i will see. I have no clue what you are talking about though.

_________________
Rolla survivor

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 1:31PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
wait till benladen gets into the thread.. he knows the most afaik

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:12PM 
Offline
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 10:37AM
Posts: 2408

Source: Off Campus
blitzvergnugen wrote:
wait till benladen gets into the thread.. he knows the most afaik


Haha, thanks.

Anyways, I listen to about every sub-genre of metal except the ones where about 99% of it is complete crap (e.g. nu-metal, grindcore, grindgore, etc). I'll just copy the list off my facebook profile of the bands that I listen to the most. Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily all the bands I listen to.

Alternative metal: Apocalyptica, Deftones, Mudvayne, Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, The Fall of Troy, Thrice

Metalcore: Alexisonfire, Between the Buried and Me, Converge, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, SikTh, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Human Abstract

Post-Metal: Battle of Mice, Callisto, Isis, Kayo Dot, Mouth of the Architect, Pelican, Rosetta, Russian Circles

Doom/Death/Folk Metal: Agalloch, Anathema, Lykathea Aflame, Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder

Progressive Metal: Buckethead, Dream Theater, Mastodon



With that said, I have to ask about the point of this thread. Did you just want us to list the bands we like? Or get some kind of other discussion going?

_________________
"Jesus is never mad at us if we live with him in our hearts!"
"I hate to break it to you, but he is--he most definitely is."
The word "bi-partisan" usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:33PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Wed 08-17-2005 1:43PM
Posts: 1611

Source: Off Campus
Anyone like blacktide?

Also I listen to a lot of Dragonforce, Kamelot, Slipknot, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold.

_________________
I have now been banned twice. Do not mess with me. Also, you suck.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:40PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon 08-15-2005 3:43PM
Posts: 195

Source: Off Campus
Titanium is pretty cool. Never been a huge steel fan. I had a golf glub with a graphite shaft that would wobble a lot too.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:49PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09-13-2007 9:59AM
Posts: 134
Location: Rolla

Source: Off Campus
cmptrnrd16 wrote:
Anyone like blacktide?

Also I listen to a lot of Dragonforce, Kamelot, Slipknot, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold.


I tried Black Tide. Didn't really click with me. I'm a big fan of Kamelot, Atreyu, Bullet, and Avenged as well.

I don't really like hardcore metal, as my ears can't decipher most of what's happening, and it turns out sounding like mostly noise. That said, I really enjoy progressive and composition-oriented metal.

My metal list (if I wasn't sure, I added it because Wiki said it was metal, bold are big favorites): 3 Inches of Blood, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Bullet For My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Demons & Wizards, Devin Townsend, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Epica, Ill Niño, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nine Inch Nails, Pain of Salvation, Ra, Sevendust, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, System of a Down, Taproot, The Confession, The Dreaming.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 8:27PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
ben laden wrote:
blitzvergnugen wrote:
wait till benladen gets into the thread.. he knows the most afaik


Haha, thanks.

Anyways, I listen to about every sub-genre of metal except the ones where about 99% of it is complete crap (e.g. nu-metal, grindcore, grindgore, etc). I'll just copy the list off my facebook profile of the bands that I listen to the most. Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily all the bands I listen to.

Alternative metal: Apocalyptica, Deftones, Mudvayne, Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, The Fall of Troy, Thrice

Metalcore: Alexisonfire, Between the Buried and Me, Converge, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, SikTh, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Human Abstract

Post-Metal: Battle of Mice, Callisto, Isis, Kayo Dot, Mouth of the Architect, Pelican, Rosetta, Russian Circles

Doom/Death/Folk Metal: Agalloch, Anathema, Lykathea Aflame, Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder

Progressive Metal: Buckethead, Dream Theater, Mastodon



With that said, I have to ask about the point of this thread. Did you just want us to list the bands we like? Or get some kind of other discussion going?

Ha.. I take street cred for getting you into Fall of Troy.. that said

I'd like to add "Every Time I Die" and "Maylene and the Sons of Disaster" to the list. Both have some slightly trashy/grungy feel to them, with Maylene being a strong southern trash.. great stuff. August Burns Red is a good up & coming band.

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 8:53PM 
Offline
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 10:37AM
Posts: 2408

Source: Wilson Library
BlackDragonHunt wrote:
My metal list (if I wasn't sure, I added it because Wiki said it was metal, bold are big favorites): 3 Inches of Blood, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Bullet For My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Demons & Wizards, Devin Townsend, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Epica, Ill Niño, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nine Inch Nails, Pain of Salvation, Ra, Sevendust, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, System of a Down, Taproot, The Confession, The Dreaming.


Looks like you like a lot of power and progressive metal. Check out Circus Maximus and Iced Earth. You'd also probably like Porcupine Tree (I suggest their recent CD "Fear of a Blank Planet" or "In Absentia").


@blitz, yeah, you definitely got me into FoT, I appreciate it. But "August Burns Red"? Argh! I mean, I listen to them sometimes, but they're pretty generic metalcore. :cry:

_________________
"Jesus is never mad at us if we live with him in our hearts!"
"I hate to break it to you, but he is--he most definitely is."
The word "bi-partisan" usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 9:49PM 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Tue 05-13-2008 8:47PM
Posts: 34

Source: RC II
ben laden wrote:
With that said, I have to ask about the point of this thread. Did you just want us to list the bands we like? Or get some kind of other discussion going?



A bit of both really, also I figured it'd be an introduction of sorts.

I like all the bands you have listed under the doom/death/folk label, 'cept Black Dahlia which I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Though Anathema being there is a bit debatable; I'd say they're more prog rock than anything anymore. (Nothing against Anathema, they're actually a band I listen to fairly often, Angelica is awesome.) If you want a good doom band to listen to, you could try out Warning.

Also, I really fucking want to go to the progressive nation tour, or the Virgin black/Samael tour. Good god, why do all the bands that I listen to have to ignore Missouri.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 10:14PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
August Burns Red is more of a band I vent with now a days, I liked their first album better and mainly for the drumming/understandable vocals.

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 10:18PM 
Offline
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 10:37AM
Posts: 2408

Source: Wilson Library
blitzvergnugen wrote:
August Burns Red is more of a band I vent with now a days, I liked their first album better and mainly for the drumming/understandable vocals.


heh, the drumming IS pretty nice, one of the most redeemable features of the band.

Czernobog wrote:
I like all the bands you have listed under the doom/death/folk label, 'cept Black Dahlia which I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Though Anathema being there is a bit debatable; I'd say they're more prog rock than anything anymore. (Nothing against Anathema, they're actually a band I listen to fairly often, Angelica is awesome.) If you want a good doom band to listen to, you could try out Warning.

Also, I really fucking want to go to the progressive nation tour, or the Virgin black/Samael tour. Good god, why do all the bands that I listen to have to ignore Missouri.


Well yeah, they're not really doom anymore; now they're mostly alternative, but eh, whatever.

Yeah, progressive nation tour would be pretty badass with DT, Opeth, and BTBAM, but as you say (and like I've been saying for years), no good bands fucking come here.

However, I just found out Mouth of the Architect will be here in September.
I highly recommend you listen to the song I'm going to link.
http://www.last.fm/music/Mouth+of+the+A ... t/_/Baobab

_________________
"Jesus is never mad at us if we live with him in our hearts!"
"I hate to break it to you, but he is--he most definitely is."
The word "bi-partisan" usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 10:44PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09-13-2007 9:59AM
Posts: 134
Location: Rolla

Source: Off Campus
@ben laden: I appreciate the recommendations. I'll check 'em out as soon as I can.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Thu 05-15-2008 10:55AM 
Offline
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 10:37AM
Posts: 2408

Source: Wilson Library
BlackDragonHunt wrote:
@ben laden: I appreciate the recommendations. I'll check 'em out as soon as I can.


Yeah, no problem, let me know if you need help finding anything.


This is my last.fm for those interested:
http://www.last.fm/user/potatohamster

_________________
"Jesus is never mad at us if we live with him in our hearts!"
"I hate to break it to you, but he is--he most definitely is."
The word "bi-partisan" usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Thu 05-15-2008 4:22PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 09-05-2005 9:23PM
Posts: 2128

Source: Fidelity
ben laden wrote:
no good bands fucking come here.


Bah, except for Pelican, which I had to miss after I had bought tickets. Stupid station meeting...


Top
 Profile  
    
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group