* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 05-14-2024 3:04PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 8:47PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
squishypickle wrote:
2. I don't see how using the solution manual, which is written and sold by the textbook authors, on homework could be considered cheating. That is what it's for, and a lot of times it's "recommended" to buy on the course textbook listing. Tests are for seeing whether you know the material.

Uh, unless I missed something and you were recently named the academic honesty guy at UMR, you will be challenged if you "check" and by check I mean look at how they do the problems you can't figure out, copy it down thinking that the solutions manual is correct. Because guess what, this solutions manual has never been updated with errata. Therefore, you will roll the dice every time because if you by chance choose to "check" your problem against said manual and happen across one of those errata that in the middle of the problem just makes a mistake that's unlikely repeated, you will be in for a long, painful explantion as to how you weren't cheating. My suggestion is don't even look down that road. There were several people in my circuits I class who had some not so fun conversations because identical to the mistake in the solutions, a 5 mysteriously became a 2 in the middle of the problem for no apparent reason. Learn circuits, if need be the hard way by doing poorly on the test and figuring out how to do the stuff properly, because believe me, if you don't learn this, be ready for a painful few semesters of things like linear, electronics, and power. This is not one of those classes you get to forget when finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 11:21PM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
Since were on the topic of the shittiness that is his Circuits I class:

Funny part is this series of events (it happened alot to me):
1. Can't figure out a homework problem
2. Don't turn that particular problem in
3. Wait for Shrestha to post the solution to it
4. Shrestha solution doesn't make sense...
5. Look at answer book solution to try to get another opinion
6. Find that the his 'I spent a long time last night doing these problems' solutions and the book solution are almost verbatum.

His solutions have the same 'mysterious 5 to a 2' as the solutions manual, of which he'll post before the homework is due by midway through the semester. His solutions are useless, only look at the to understand semantics of the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-14-2006 10:43AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
When I took him he started posting his own solutions to the homework problems before they were even due later in the semester, so you might not even need the manual anyways after a while. I am actually a pretty firm believer that if you have the self-control and discipline to use a solutions manual the right way, then it can be a huge help to the learning process. And by the right way I mean NEVER just copy down a problem to paper, look at it and think you understood what happened at a glance. You still have to actually work through the problem just as normal, except if you get stuck you can see their solutions and see if it can help you understand what you've done wrong. By working through the problems you are likely to catch errors in the solutions because there will be times when their solutions just won't make any sense. And if you don't catch them, then it probably means you don't understand it well enough in the first place and should miss a few points because of it. In a class like Shrestha's, any resource other than him that can help give another explanation to a problem and how they are worked is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-16-2006 12:36AM 
Captain

Source: TJ North
If anyone is in Shretha's class, ignore him and read the book during lecture.
That and go take a shit when he is wasting your time. Repect him when he shows respect, which is never.

And for good measure, Yore = time(s) past

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-16-2006 12:40AM 
Colonel

Source: TJ Hall
i am sensing something that says Shretha's class is not a very good one.
also there is deep anger between the 2 of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-16-2006 9:50PM 
Major

Source: RC I
Yeah...so i guess I will disagree here. I really didnt think Shresta was that terrible...yes...his style was annoying, but he did seem to know what he was doing and if you need help he will help you. Respect him and be nice and put up with silly analogies...it is just him "trying" to teach.

And if noone got you a solutions manual yet let me know...once I recover my old H.D. I think I have it on there. I have no qualms with anyone using it...can just be a reference *shrug*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-19-2006 4:09AM 
Drowning

Source: TJ South
i have his solutions from last semester if you want them so far all the problems sets are the same (re-take)

really though i wouldnt use them at first, practice will help so much more

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 9:40AM 
Major

i have the solutions manual! even and odd worked out. for sale, pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 2:51PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
GoldFiles wrote:

Wow, its amazing how people don't listen. FYI, the EE department scans this forum, and when the "additional funcitons" of seek were up and running, they almost suspended/expelled a kid who was sharing the solutions manual because of cheating/copyright infringment. DON'T ADVERTISE YOU HAVE ILLEGAL SOLUTIONS MANUALS!

I surely hope that was plain enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 2:55PM 
Captain

Source: VPN
-|F.I.B.|-LowMan wrote:
GoldFiles wrote:

Wow, its amazing how people don't listen. FYI, the EE department scans this forum, and when the "additional funcitons" of seek were up and running, they almost suspended/expelled a kid who was sharing the solutions manual because of cheating/copyright infringment. DON'T ADVERTISE YOU HAVE ILLEGAL SOLUTIONS MANUALS!

I surely hope that was plain enough.

Yes, it is amazing how people don't listen

Assuming he is trying to sell the actual paperback solution manual, not the scanned version everyone else has, that is 100% legit. The university has no grounds to say shit about someone owning a book put out by the publisher of this book, or about that person trying to resell it.

On an entirely different level but still related: The current circuits book is terrible. There are way too many mathematical mistakes. That is assuming you can comprehend the fact that there is a mistake after sifting through end of chapter problems far more complex than the accompanying chapter examples/teachings.

As some points the solution manual is almost necessary to complete homework assignments.

Last edited by LoosePhlegm on Thu 08-31-2006 3:19PM, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 2:57PM 
Major

Exactly. I bought the real book on Amazon a few years back. Glorious paper!!!

Offer still stands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 2:58PM 
Major

Loose, why you change your post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 3:08PM 
Lieutenant

i think a guy named kurt kosbar would be interested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 3:10PM 
Captain

Source: VPN
GoldFiles wrote:
Loose, why you change your post?

I decided to be a little more articulate, see it now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-31-2006 3:12PM 
Major

lol, well, w/e.

All I know is that this is a book (one book) not a digital print out of my homework or anything. And I purchased it from Amazon.com. I am not distributing it, I am not making illegal copies, and I am not violating copyright laws. I have a single book, and I would like to sell my book.

Though, if that is illegal for some reason, I will take it down. I'm quite curious actually. Also, I'm not in the EE department if that makes a difference :) Can somebody ask this prof if it is illegal? I want to know!