Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 12:32PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Motorcycles for fat people
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 2:41PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
Toying with selling my car for both an economy car and a cheap motorcycle to solve any minor issues with having one car between both me and my fiance. What relatively inexpensive motorcycles can fit a 6'4" 300 lb guy like myself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 2:44PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
I'm in the same boat, and I'd appreciate some insights too. I'm not particularly interested in pure sport bikes, I just want something that is comfortable to ride and will get me around town and maybe on the highway a little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 2:55PM 
Major General

bagvwf wrote:
I'm in the same boat, and I'd appreciate some insights too. I'm not particularly interested in pure sport bikes, I just want something that is comfortable to ride and will get me around town and maybe on the highway a little bit.

Yeah, me too. I'm not really interested in a crotch rocket, just an economical cruiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 8:51PM 
Lieutenant

Maybe we could work something out...I have a cruiser, but would like to sell it to get a sport bike (need to get it out of my system before I buy a hog after graduation!). It's a great bike for a big guy, which I'm not really, but it really doesn't feel as big as it is. It's a 97 Suzuki Intruder 1400cc, 4 speed, with about 18,500 miles. There's plenty of power for the highway, but it still doesn't feel too big in town. It's my fifth bike, but they have all been cruiser types and, like I said above, I've got an itchin for a crotchrocket. Let me know if you'd like to discuss further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 8:54PM 
Major General

Source: VPN
Just looked it up. It's a nice looking bike. Actually, it will be quite a while before I have the opportunity to sell my car (read: Once I get married the title is transferred over to me), but I'm trying to weigh my options. I've always wanted a bike, and it seems like a relatively economical option, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 9:44PM 
Lieutenant

It is a nice bike, and it is great for the trips back to Springfield I have to make once in a while, so I'm really just open to the idea of selling for a sport bike and not really pursuing it, i.e., I'll be around for a while if you get more serious. Whatever you do, just speaking from experience, get at least a 750cc or bigger. They may use a little more gas than a smaller bike but, with your size, the comfort will be worth it. I'm 5'7", 170lbs, and 750 is the smallest I'd go (except of course for the 80ci Harley I'll be treating myself to upon graduation!). I'd keep my focus above 1000cc's if I were you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-08-2006 10:46PM 
Major General

Source: VPN
Who cares wrote:
It is a nice bike, and it is great for the trips back to Springfield I have to make once in a while, so I'm really just open to the idea of selling for a sport bike and not really pursuing it, i.e., I'll be around for a while if you get more serious. Whatever you do, just speaking from experience, get at least a 750cc or bigger. They may use a little more gas than a smaller bike but, with your size, the comfort will be worth it. I'm 5'7", 170lbs, and 750 is the smallest I'd go (except of course for the 80ci Harley I'll be treating myself to upon graduation!). I'd keep my focus above 1000cc's if I were you...

Yeah, I had figured it would need some oomph (especially because I might ride with my fiance, but she's weighs about the same as a feather, so it doesn't really matter), and I wanted to stay away crotch rockets. Thanks for the advice though. I like that Suzuki Intruder, because it seems to split the difference I was looking for in regards to size/economy/comfortable cruiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 09-09-2006 2:22PM 
Brigadier General

I also have an old car that should be dead by now. I don't even fix it anymore and I'm just waiting for it to go. So I got a crotchrocket to take the miles off the car and prolong it's life a bit and also so I would have some mode of getting around while I shop for a new one when it does decide to go. For the first solid month my bike was a pain to sit on and I was sore afterwards, but those muscles got used to it and now it feels nice and comfy. The more you ride, the better it gets. I suggest a cruiser for two people since two on mine gets a little stuffy after a bit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-12-2006 6:48PM 
Major General

Whocares, do you park over by EE? If so, I saw your bike, and I really like it... Damn the fact I can't sell my car until next May.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-12-2006 6:51PM 
Sergeant

Source: Tau Kappa Epsilon
If anyone likes the sport bike look, a kawasaki zzr 600 is a larger sport cruser. Its a pretty good bike from what ive heard. I personally have a yamaha fzr 600 absolutly love it (its a crotch rocket). I started on a ninja 250, plenty of power for someone not looking to go balls to the wall riding, and gets 70 mpg and also insuranc was $266 for liability and comprehensive. I wouldnt get anything too fast or too heavy for your first bike, and TAKE AN MSF!!! I took it because i had never ridden before, but my friend took it with me that had ridden dirt bikes for 9 years, best thing we have ever done to learn about riding. Also there is a very good book called "proficient motorcycle riding" that is one of the best books ive read on learing how to ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-12-2006 7:36PM 
Lieutenant

kjk437 wrote:
Whocares, do you park over by EE? If so, I saw your bike, and I really like it... Damn the fact I can't sell my car until next May.

yeah, that's mine...thanks. like i said, i'm really not actively trying to sell it, just toying w/ the idea of getting a sport bike and since i don't graduate until fall 07, i'll be around for a while

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-12-2006 7:52PM 
Lieutenant General

Who cares wrote:
Maybe we could work something out...I have a cruiser, but would like to sell it to get a sport bike (need to get it out of my system before I buy a hog after graduation!). It's a great bike for a big guy, which I'm not really, but it really doesn't feel as big as it is. It's a 97 Suzuki Intruder 1400cc, 4 speed, with about 18,500 miles. There's plenty of power for the highway, but it still doesn't feel too big in town. It's my fifth bike, but they have all been cruiser types and, like I said above, I've got an itchin for a crotchrocket. Let me know if you'd like to discuss further.

How much would you want for your bike?

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-12-2006 9:12PM 
Lieutenant

oh, i don't know...i haven't engaged in a serious enough conversation to think about it that much. if you're interested, pm me and we'll discuss price. if you're more just curious, throw a number out there and we'll play 'hot or cold'.