* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:54AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: UMR one of the most UN-fit colleges in the US
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 5:31PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departmen ... s&GT1=8618

...The magazine also placed eight other schools deemed underachievers on "academic probation": California State University-Long Beach, Carnegie Mellon University, Eastern Michigan University, Flagler College, Seton Hall University, University of Michigan-Flint, University of Missouri-Rolla, and University of New Orleans.

Sweetness. Yet another milestone for UMR.
Anyways...

Who's up for Hardees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 7:45PM 
Lieutenant

it would be nice if that article served as a wake-up call to the legions of land monsters at UMR (students and faculty included), but it won't. oh well, time to go put on my oakley blades and hop in my sweet mullet mini truck with big v-8 motor piece of shit car and hit the drive-thru at hardees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 8:04PM 
Major General

Quote:
University of New Orleans

You'd think with all the swimming they had to do, they'd be the most fit school :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 8:06PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
Hey I lost 75lbs since Jan. of this year...guess not everybody in Rolla is lazy...but I'm not in Rolla anymore THANK GOD!

Rolla Missouri...
Where the men are men!
The women are men!
And the sheep are scared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 8:25PM 
Captain

It's quite true. About 8 out of 10 people are either very skinny, or morbidly obese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 9:30PM 
Major General

-45 pounds here since SS2005. Yeah, I'm usually disgusted at the number of overweight, completley unfit people I see at UMR, in Missouri, and America in general.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 9:33PM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
I kind of agree that fitness is pretty weak here. My parents school (NC State) had a mandatory PE program. (I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars tuition for a PE class voluntarily, though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 9:36PM 
Lieutenant General

Fat and proud.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 9:40PM 
Brigadier General

Source: VPN
Eh, the stats are prob bullshit. I have a BMI of 30 (obese) yet am in decent shape (walk to campus every day, ~.5 miles, play several IM's) so while I'll agree that there are far too many people who are either really fat or really thin, the stats are more than likely overstated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 9:43PM 
Major General

squishypickle wrote:
I kind of agree that fitness is pretty weak here. My parents school (NC State) had a mandatory PE program. (I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars tuition for a PE class voluntarily, though)

I have an uncle who went to Georgia Tech in the 60's. He said that they had 2 years of mandaotry PE, including a swimming class where they would tie up one, or both, of your legs and require you to stay afloat in a pool for a certain amount of time. He was also required to take a tennis class, climb ropes, and all sorts of other stuff. His take was that Georgia Tech basically expected all incoming students to be out-of-shape nerds, and wanted to whip them into shape. Along with learning some useful skills, like staying afloat in water for a long amount of time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:08PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Kelly Hall
lukecp wrote:
squishypickle wrote:

I have an uncle who went to Georgia Tech in the 60's. He said that they had 2 years of mandaotry PE, including a swimming class where they would tie up one, or both, of your legs and require you to stay afloat in a pool for a certain amount of time. He was also required to take a tennis class, climb ropes, and all sorts of other stuff. His take was that Georgia Tech basically expected all incoming students to be out-of-shape nerds, and wanted to whip them into shape. Along with learning some useful skills, like staying afloat in water for a long amount of time.

If they tried to do that now, and I wanted to go there, I'd sue the fuck out of them. That is quite possibly one of the most terrifying things I could possibly think about (I've nearly drowned before--it tends to do quite a bit on your mindset towards water).

With that said, I don't think I would be too opposed to a mandatory physical workout schedule. Well....ok, I would for a lot of reasons, but there definitely are way too many out of shape people here. I geuss you could say that about the country in general though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:16PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: TJ North
i pay UMR for an education in engineering. if i want to pay somebody to keep me fit, it won't be a university. i'd pay golds gym for that. (although they're a huge ripoff)

almost everybody here is an adult. it is their responsibility to look out for their own physical comfort. if they dont want to stay healthy, thats their choice. if they want to stay in shape, thats also their choice. don't pin obesity on the school or government. the only thing they could possibly do is fix chartwells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:19PM 
Lieutenant General

amd2800barton wrote:
i pay UMR for an education in engineering. if i want to pay somebody to keep me fit, it won't be a university. i'd pay golds gym for that. (although they're a huge ripoff)

almost everybody here is an adult. it is their responsibility to look out for their own physical comfort. if they dont want to stay healthy, thats their choice. if they want to stay in shape, thats also their choice. don't pin obesity on the school or government. the only thing they could possibly do is fix chartwells.

Here here, if I would rather a short happy life than a long miserable one, that is my right.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:37PM 
Major General

ben laden wrote:

If they tried to do that now, and I wanted to go there, I'd sue the fuck out of them. That is quite possibly one of the most terrifying things I could possibly think about (I've nearly drowned before--it tends to do quite a bit on your mindset towards water).

It was the 60's. Americans didn't sue like they do now. I'm sure they had a life guard on duty.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:50PM 
Major General

lukecp wrote:
-45 pounds here since SS2005. Yeah, I'm usually disgusted at the number of overweight, completley unfit people I see at UMR, in Missouri, and America in general.

foofoodar wrote:
Hey I lost 75lbs since Jan. of this year...guess not everybody in Rolla is lazy...but I'm not in Rolla anymore THANK GOD!

Good deal for losing weight. I just started and am under 300 for the first time in about 4 months. Only 88 more to go! Wooo.