Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:37PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Import automotive content
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 12:55PM 
Captain

Source: TJ North
Allright, I'm the current automotive columnist for the Miner. I've recieved alot of good feedback on the column since I started writing it, but there was one concern that has been voiced to me.

I have had a request to begin including content on imports. Now I'll say directly that the only import I'm really interested in is the aircooled Volkswagen.

Now unless everyone here that is into the import scene wants to start hearing about 40 year old VW's (which i doubt you are), i need some suggestions for topics that would appeal to you.

My current series is going to wrap up in about 2 weeks. If i don't get any suggestions I'm going to move into more general, but still domestically oriented, content.

Let me know what you want to hear about.

I like to take my Thing out and play with it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/ ... 206010.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 1:06PM 
Sergeant

Source: Physics
How about air-cooled VW powered Porsches? I've got a nice little 914 slantnose sitting back home, but I guess that wouldn't qualify because it is supposed to be daily driven or something like that right? Turbo Volvos perhaps? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 1:23PM 
Captain

i don't care if it's daily driven or not. hell, i'd have nothing against doing something on the 914 or the orignal 356 but i think what the guy was saying was that he wants to hear about japanese stuff from the past 15 years.

I had a chance to pick a carbed 2.0 914 up about 5 years ago, i was really excited about it until i open the drivers side door and the car sagged 2". At that point it just wasn't worth it.
I will tell you what i've always liked about the 914 is according to VW it's a Porsche but if you talk to Porsche it's a VW. Poor bastard car :( (But i have always liked them)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 2:03PM 
Sergeant

Source: Fidelity
The 914s are great cars...if they are babied. Most (like the one you found) are beat to hell, and that tricky fuel injection system can be a female dog. I don't care what Porsche guys say, but on a curvy road they are the most fun, this side of a 930, that you can have. The older Japanese stuff is interesting too; a properly done elderly civic is a joy to drive and hard to beat for autocrossing. Do a story on the VW Corrado that is running around town; I've always liked that car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 5:07PM 
Major

Well, as far the japanese import stuff, how about looking into the upcoming Nissan GT-R, the rebirth of the Skyline. Could talk about the following of the older R32/33/34 skylines and the RB26DETT engine and the new V-series engine that could be going into the new one.

Or, to cross the other ocean, you could talk about the small european diesel engines trying to make a push into the US market. One that sticks out in my mind is the diesel Jetta. Some suggestions...

Or you could always do a story about about my car.... Conquest TSi. it got mentioned in an automotive article last semester sometime.

Edit: Or maybe an article about concept cars? The new Lancer Evolution X looks pretty spiffy, you could talk about that one vs. the older ones. Or perhaps Acura's new "Advanced Sports Car" concept (new nsx perhaps?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 9:04PM 
Captain

the new gt-r is classified as having nothing to do with a skyline. nissan decided to not put the skyline badge on it. atleast that is what i heard.

any import would be good. but all i have to say is good luck with whatever you decided to do bout your article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-13-2007 10:59PM 
Major General

Source: RC I
the rabbit to golf change would be a good short article... i'm still a little confused on if the golf exists in the gti format here in america, or if there's just a random gti that is by itself... or if it's a rabbit gti, which I wouldn't like...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 1:04AM 
Drowning

umrchem wrote:
the new gt-r is classified as having nothing to do with a skyline. nissan decided to not put the skyline badge on it. atleast that is what i heard.

any import would be good. but all i have to say is good luck with whatever you decided to do bout your article.

not to jack a thread but I believe its coming out as an infinity that would look similar to the g35, then in a couple years to have a nissan. it wont be badged skyline but it is still the spiritual rebirth of the car

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 2:00AM 
Major General

Source: RC I
LostBoyz wrote:
umrchem wrote:

not to jack a thread but I believe its coming out as an infinity that would look similar to the g35, then in a couple years to have a nissan. it wont be badged skyline but it is still the spiritual rebirth of the car

I think that was the thinking at one point, but I believe it changed to just being a Nissan model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 2:06AM 
Major

I also heard that it was originally going to be sold under the Infinity name, but was finally decided upon Nissan as the make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 9:40AM 
Colonel

Source: McNutt Hall
There is lots of info on the new GT-R and many shots.
http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php ... 518/page/3

Here is one for instance. Other people have seen it that car run in New Mexico. I can't find the other threads in the forum. I think there were a few on the subie forums.

Anyway, you could talk about some the new big things in cars. Like how the CVT tranny is getting popular in cars. Talk about the concept of how it works and the pros/cons of it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 11:04AM 
Captain

The rabbit/golf/GTI is pretty straight forward.

The GTI is just the GTI, the Golf still exists everywhere except the US, and the Rabbit is just the rebadged golf being sold in the US (and maybe Canada?)

But it sounds like there's enough interest in the GT-R to justify an article. I've always liked the Datsun/Nissans but do have to say that IMO the Skyline is way overrated for what it really was.

I'll see what i can do for it. I am definitely open to more suggestions for further articles.

I'm also accepting cars for "Car of the Week". I want to get it going again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 2:12PM 
Captain

ya its a nissan gt-r (no skyline in the name) its not even close to the g35 in my opinion. not positive but i think the gtr is awd? im almost positve its a twin turbo v6. its supposed to be cheaper than the z06 and shelby gt500 and have a faster acceleration, higher top speed, better braking distance, and about 10k less than the z06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 3:49PM 
Sergeant

I find that hard to believe! The z06 is pretty much the most complete car you can purchase for the money. I doubt a forced induction AWD car that can match the z06's numbers would actually sell in that range. Maybe one that can get to 60mph as quick, but those Vettes are scary fast up high, not to mention entirely track-able

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-14-2007 11:35PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
GT-r is estimated at 70K right now.

I used to be a huge nissan fan but their new cars are turning into a big pile of shit. Look at the QR25DE engine. So many of those engines caught on fire or had to be replaced. In many cases nissan did not admit that it was their fault. I will never buy another nissan. Every time something broke on the car they blamed a modification I did caused it.
This is a funny thing that happened. Nissan had some paint problems back in 2000-2001 and my car was one of those. My front bumper started to loose paint. The paint would come of in nice little flakes. I called Nissan in California and had a tech come out and inspect it. He told me i drive to fast and this causes the paint to flake off. The told me rocks could hit it and cause it to flake off. The rest of the bumper was smooth and so was my hood. No rock chips. I have many other stories as well but that is for another night.

Profile E-mail