Yes, only if it was free 23%  23%  [ 12 ]
Yes, and I would even be willing to pay a little 68%  68%  [ 35 ]
No, I hate Mini-Golf 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Mini Golf Course next to TJ
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 2:51PM 
General

Source: Fidelity
All this talk of golf courses.. and then talk of the defunct mini-golf course has made me curious..

What real interest is there in rehabing the course?

if there is enough.. think it would be possible to get a campus approved fund rasier to aquire funds from students and possibly other methods like alumn's and possibly somehting from the student spending budget...

Who all would be interested in helping rebuild the course.. or should we contract out for it.

Im more then willing to help head this up and even get some of the inital research done.. though id be more then willing to have help with it.. assuming of course there is interest

ram--------------4GB------------
vid__GF8600M GT 256MB__2xGF8800GTS 512MB sli
hdd____160GB_______3.5TBw/parity on a 3ware card

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 3:00PM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
Evil putt-putt golf...stupid windmills and other obstacles.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 3:08PM 
General

http://umr.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2250759265

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 3:15PM 
Major

Source: Holtman Hall
Just keep in mind the competition. The one on highway V is going to end up being pretty amazing. Good luck in your endeavor though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 3:53PM 
General

tis true... but that one is off highway v and requires a bit of traveling.. whereas this one is on campus.. and since itd likely be studnet run.. and right next to campus... i could forsee drunkin mini-golf to some effect possibly..

theres a convience factor and a wow factor... each has their ups and downs.. and whose to say this wouldnt be an awsome corse...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 4:36PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

I have some experience designing/building putt putt courses. As long as we're just talking slabs of concrete, holes, all-weather carpet, brick and mortar bumpers, and not too much in the way of hazards. I've got good ideas from some courses I've been to before but, ironically, I don't go a whole lot.

Basically all you need is the design and vision of what you want...after that, you need some 2x6's to make your forms, some rebar or chicken wire, 2" or 2 1/2" PVC for cups, and (max) 12 yards of concrete for 9 holes. And you've got to have 4 or 5 enthusiastic individuals willing to put in some time (4 or 5 whole Saturdays) to fix it up. Doesn't take too long if you've got the resources and manpower to do it.

The biggest challenge right off the bat is (of course) to actually acquire the property. Find out who owns it and either buy it or partner with them to fix it up. Buying it would be the easiest way to effect changes quickly and have this thing up and running for fall, but we're talking a lot of upfront capital expense and a 3-to-4 year payoff period depending on patronage. Partnering with somebody to fix it up would be easiest for the average college student to do, but in effect you're not going to be entitled to any of the benefits from fixing the place up (other than having a putt-putt place to use) and the owners have the right to do anything they want to do, no matter how stupid the idea may be. And not to mention, you're just fixing it up for them, and they get to keep all of the real improvements.

First step is to figure out who owns it and see if they'd be willing to unload it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 5:48PM 
Major General

I'd do it. I really would. I'll be here all summer, as well. Let me know if others are interested. I assume the students would run it and own it. I just think we need to seriously figure out costs (not just of supplies, but things like who owns it and what money would need to distributed based on that).

I'm up for it. Let me know if other's are interested.

UrLocalGuru wrote:
All this talk of golf courses.. and then talk of the defunct mini-golf course has made me curious..

What real interest is there in rehabing the course?

if there is enough.. think it would be possible to get a campus approved fund rasier to aquire funds from students and possibly other methods like alumn's and possibly somehting from the student spending budget...

Who all would be interested in helping rebuild the course.. or should we contract out for it.

Im more then willing to help head this up and even get some of the inital research done.. though id be more then willing to have help with it.. assuming of course there is interest

I don't know if a profitable business can acquire fundraising like that, but I think if we got a core group of 10 or so students involved that we could make it happen alone. Let's assume we had a $10,000 startup. That's a relatively small contribution from each individual (and would be paid over time as funds were needed), but if the location started a profit and the business license were worked out, we might get a decent return on our investment fairly quickly. Plus, if we all started a profitable business in college, it would be a nice thing to add to our resume's.

Awesome. I'm pumped just thinking about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 6:28PM 
Major

No, you guys should go to Kokomo Joe's mentioned before, owned and operated by The Zone.

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 7:21PM 
Major

Source: Holtman Hall
UrLocalGuru wrote:
i could forsee drunkin mini-golf to some effect possibly..

True. And that would keep the drunks from Kokomo Joe's.
UrLocalGuru wrote:
whose to say this wouldnt be an awsome corse...

I don't think you have been down by Kokomo Joe's lately. I believe it is an acre and a half of putt putt, accompanied by go-karts with in spitting distance. They plan on batting cages, an arcade and snack stand as well as other attractions. I just don't forsee you guys putting in that type of effort.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see both places thrive. That and you do have convenience on your side. I just want to make sure a few college students don't throw there money and something that is doomed to failure.

P.S. I know that the "Rock House" right next to it (the one with the outdoor carpet in the basement) is rented. Not sure if it is a realitor or private person.

Good Luck guys.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-06-2007 8:51PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Looks like it's time to go up to the county recorder's office and start digging through plat maps. Find the property designation, find the title abstract that goes with it and then find out who's listed on the abstract. Then you contact him and go from there.

That's the hard way, but it's guaranteed to work...

An alternate route is to go to the assessor's office and see who last held a business license at that address.

Or perhaps there's somebody that already knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 03-07-2007 4:34PM 
General

well i went up to the assesors office and got a name and adress... ish

McFarland, Gene & Linda Trust & Stoltz, Mary
PO BOX 1577
Rolla MO 65402

sadly though the plot the course is on is the same plot as the rock house and the other house at the bottom of the course..

the outlook looks bleek.. but theres still a glimmer of hope.. i just have to get ahold of these people and see whats up

Profile E-mail