Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 9:33AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hiking
PostPosted: Tue 03-18-2008 12:43PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
i want to go hiking during spring break and wonder if anyone here has hiked around missouri? what places are good? i'm wanting to hike in, camp, and hike back out.

i've looked on the web and noticed a lot say down in the southeast region of missouri (near taum sauk), there are a lot of good places.

i'm sure there are more exuberant places out of state but i want to keep it fairly close since i don't get the best gas mileage.

Post subject: Re: hiking
PostPosted: Tue 03-18-2008 12:49PM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Head west on I-44 and take the doolittle exit. Turn left and head through doolittle and newburg. Pass through town, taking the sharp left and then sharp right across the railroad tracks and a bridge. Take your first right (Route P). Follow that road until you reach Highway A. Then turn around. Take the third gravel road on your left (it'll be the first big one). Drive back a ways, there will be several spots to pull in. Pick a spot, and take off. You can't get too lost - worst case scenario, walk in any direction for like 2-3 miles and find a road or interstate. I love that place, just don't go during deer season.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Tue 03-18-2008 4:03PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Yeah I'm with you on this, I'd love to go on some 2-3 day hikes. If any of you guys know of any great places or want someone to tag along with I'd love to go. On a scale of 1 to 10 i'm probably a 4 right now but I'm planning on being somewhere around a 8 or 9 as far as experience goes by then beginning of Fall.

Something I always planned on doing but always put off a little longer. If that makes any sense?

PostPosted: Tue 03-18-2008 5:42PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
There are a few nice trails around Taum Sauk, its been a while since I have hiked there but I believe that one of the trail heads is at Johnson Shutins. I haven’t been up there since the reservoir failure a couple of years back but a side trail will take you right up to it. The trail that I am familiar with goes over several “mountains” and you can cut over to Elephant Rocks, a neat place if you haven’t been there before. There are campsites on the top of Taum Sauk at the halfway point if you are looking to just carry a day pack and drop everything off; otherwise there are plenty of places along the trail to camp. It’s a beautiful hike and just a couple hours drive if you head down 8 from Cuba and then take 67 to Fredericktown. I have a decent amount of equipment with me up here and would love to go out some weekend if anyone is interested.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 1:07PM 
Brigadier General

My wife's ankle is messed up, and she can't hike too far. I'd love to get out into the woods, hiking and camping a night or two, but I don't really know many people since just about everybody I knew has moved away. I don't really feel comfortable hiking alone in places with no cell phone coverage, since I've seen a mountain lion out in the woods, and I know how easy it is to break a leg.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 5:16PM 
bertowned
bertowned

I'd be interested in going with some fellow UMR students sometime. I don't have much experience in the [great] outdoors, but would love to have somebody more experienced show me the ropes. PM me if anyone needs another set of eyes on a trail around the area.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 7:45PM 
Brigadier General

nakedproph's first post: sounds like kaintuck. my roommate went there and hiked it in half a day. since its so close, i'll give it a shot some other day. he said it was quite nice. i think there's also a spring located somewhere in the area.

i'm pretty much locked in heading down near taum sauk. i got half my stuff ready. i read that it's recommended to go to mina sauk after a rain so you can get a better view of the water flowing down the hill. a few days after all of this hard rain we had should have it flowing pretty good. i definately want it hit up johnson's shut in. i just hope it's not too flooded when i get around. then i'll take a peak at elephant rocks on the way back. i'll take some pics and post. if i like it so much that i want to head back soon, maybe we all can arrange something once everything starts to bloom. i've been in secluded parts of mark twain during spring when everything was blooming and it can be quite the kodak moment.

nakedproph's second post: where did you see a mountain lion in MO? i find that intersting. sure it wasn't a bobcat? bobcat's can get pretty big.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 8:12PM 
Drowning

Won't be able to this semester, but I have done my fair share of hiking/backpacking. I have been on 3 5day/4night backpacking trips through yellowstone, rocky mountain nat'l park, and grand teton nat'l forest. In the fall (i know long way away) I would definitely be down for some hiking. Never really thought about it in/around rolla before.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 8:38PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
I don’t want to put a damper on your plans but I know that the St Francis is 18 ft over flood stage right now. You might want to call the park service before you head down to make sure that everything is open, if the St Francis is that high I’m sure the Black river is flooded as well.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 9:09PM 
Brigadier General

mwsgh6 wrote:
I don’t want to put a damper on your plans but I know that the St Francis is 18 ft over flood stage right now. You might want to call the park service before you head down to make sure that everything is open, if the St Francis is that high I’m sure the Black river is flooded as well.

yeah, i commute from waynesville and the roubideux flows through and into the gasconade a couple miles up the road. the water level is almost 20 feet above normal and starting to flood into the town. according to reports, more rivers in missouri are to continue to rise through the night.

that's why i'm crossing my fingers with hopes the level subsides. i've seen the rivers up after a few showers and it takes nearly a week to return back to a safe level. johnsons shut in will probably be flooded or at an extremely higher than usual level. i'll check near the end of this week. if it's a problem, i'll just push my date back.

PostPosted: Thu 03-20-2008 8:35AM 
Brigadier General

gearbot wrote:
nakedproph's first post: sounds like kaintuck. my roommate went there and hiked it in half a day. since its so close, i'll give it a shot some other day. he said it was quite nice. i think there's also a spring located somewhere in the area.

Close. It's a bit west of kaintuck hollow, it's the area that surrounds the old kitchell cemetery.

gearbot wrote:
inakedproph's second post: where did you see a mountain lion in MO? i find that intersting. sure it wasn't a bobcat? bobcat's can get pretty big.

I'm pretty damn sure bobcats don't get 10 feet long and have long smooth tails that curl up in a big J shape. It was in Maries county, about 5-10 miles outside Phelps.

PostPosted: Thu 03-20-2008 8:43AM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
Here is a picture of a bobcat that was shot about 10 miles from here.

PostPosted: Thu 03-20-2008 10:14AM 
Brigadier General

Not to derail the thread, but the cat I saw was a uniform tan color, with a long thin tail that curled up at the end, and was really, really big.

PostPosted: Thu 03-20-2008 2:46PM 
Sergeant

I do quite a bit of hiking and a lot of trail building with the Ozark Trail Assoc.

My Spring Break plans are 6 days on the OT, covering about 115 miles.

The Berryman Trail is a popular trail that's pretty close. Take Hwy 8 through Steelville and watch for the sign. Its about 27 miles long and pretty cool, but can get a little crowded with horses and bikers on nice weekends.

Paddy Creek Wilderness is just down 63 and is about 17 miles long. Its really neat and gets a lot less traffic.

Both of them make great dayhikes :D

The OT is your best bet for longer distance hiking. The through trail is about 220 miles and there's a total of 350 miles of trail altogether, with more added every year. There's also a shuttle serving the eastern part of the trail , near Taum Sauk.

Bell Mt. and the Taum Sauk section of the OT are the places to go if you want cool scenery that you don't normally get in Missouri.

I might be down for leading a small group of people hiking sometime. Be forewarned, though, I don't like to fiddle-fart around and hike a little fast. If you don't slow me down too much I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner from time to time.

Adam

PostPosted: Thu 03-20-2008 4:28PM 
Captain

Source: TJ Hall
Quote:

I might be down for leading a small group of people hiking sometime. Be forewarned, though, I don't like to fiddle-fart around and hike a little fast. If you don't slow me down too much I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner from time to time.

I’m not big on cutting my toothbrush in half before drilling the handle full of holes so 20 a day is about as far as I like to go. If you don’t mind someone tagging along let me know.