Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat 10-21-2017 7:46AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: swimming
PostPosted: Sun 06-08-2008 9:21AM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sun 11-19-2006 9:39PM
Posts: 275
Location: 20,000 feet and 800 knots

Source: Off Campus
If I wanted to go swimming in or near Rolla somewhere other than a pool, anyone have any ideas where I could go?


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Sun 06-08-2008 6:14PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 08-18-2003 2:33PM
Posts: 1184
Location: Somewhere East Of Pittsburgh

Source: Off Campus
Lane Springs park down hwy 63.

_________________
MOHELA Sucks.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.


Last edited by mad duck on Thu 06-26-2008 9:56PM, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Sun 06-08-2008 6:45PM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sun 11-19-2006 9:39PM
Posts: 275
Location: 20,000 feet and 800 knots

Source: Off Campus
i hear blue springs is great for lots of stuff, but I dont know where it is, and I can't find it on the interwebs X_x
Freshman year I went to a park outside of town that had a creek and some other stuff, I went there fishing on oral directions given by a friend. That may have been it, but it was hella long ago, and i dont remember. All i remember is fishing after dark and having to pay for parking :roll:
Swimming in bray lake or boyd lake sounds like it would be fun, but the internet is being useless, and I'm not back in town yet to go see for myself.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Sun 06-08-2008 10:57PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat 10-18-2003 10:26PM
Posts: 2954
Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Duke of URL wrote:
Freshman year I went to a park outside of town that had a creek and some other stuff, I went there fishing on oral directions given by a friend. That may have been it, but it was hella long ago, and i dont remember. All i remember is fishing after dark and having to pay for parking :roll:

That smells an awful lot like Lane Spring National Park. It's about 12 miles south of Rolla on 63. They've got a creek which is good trout fishing and also my favorite place to go catch crawdads--which I think I'll do tomorrow.

There's no lake but there IS a swimming hole off the creek...I've never been but on a hot summer day, it's really good to wade in the creek, the water's 55 degrees year-round pretty much. Just watch out for the crawdads.

_________________
It's still UMR to me, dammit.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Thu 06-12-2008 2:06PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri 02-15-2002 12:09AM
Posts: 125
Location: Peoria, IL

Source: Off Campus
My favorite fishing and swimming hole in the area is just outside of Newburg.
Take Martin Springs West out of Rolla, then go south on Trueman Street/State Hwy T.
Keep going till you get to Newburg. You will be forced to turn left (but still on Hwy T). Continue onward then turn right (Still Hwy T). Just before you go over the stream/river, there's a right hand turn onto gravel and dirt that gets you down to the 'beach'. The locals like to swim there, I find that wading a couple tens of yards downstream is the best fishing. Fairly clean as streams go, though not as nice as Lane Springs, it isn't quite as cold either. The turn-off of T is at approximately 37*54'39.63"N 91*54'12.45"W according to google earth. Park at 37°54'35.76"N 91°54'14.44"W. Swim at about 37°54'34.78"N 91°54'13.63"W. Fish at 37°54'35.40"N 91°54'17.96"W or further downstream.

Another good fishing spot is 37°54'46.16"N 91°55'49.64"W. After crossing the bridge that you didn't cross to get to the first location, take a sharp right onto State Rt. P Take the first road on the right (Grotto Rd). Drive across the (small, not very stable-looking) bridge and turn off to park on the 'beach' on the far side. Decent fishing, you could probably swim there, as there are some deeper bits downstream of the bridge. Of course, I don't know if the bridge is still there...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Thu 06-12-2008 3:46PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 08-18-2003 2:33PM
Posts: 1184
Location: Somewhere East Of Pittsburgh

Source: Off Campus
Dave D. wrote:
My favorite fishing and swimming hole in the area is just outside of Newburg.
Take Martin Springs West out of Rolla, then go south on Trueman Street/State Hwy T.
Keep going till you get to Newburg. You will be forced to turn left (but still on Hwy T). Continue onward then turn right (Still Hwy T). Just before you go over the stream/river, there's a right hand turn onto gravel and dirt that gets you down to the 'beach'. The locals like to swim there, I find that wading a couple tens of yards downstream is the best fishing. Fairly clean as streams go, though not as nice as Lane Springs, it isn't quite as cold either. The turn-off of T is at approximately 37*54'39.63"N 91*54'12.45"W according to google earth. Park at 37°54'35.76"N 91°54'14.44"W. Swim at about 37°54'34.78"N 91°54'13.63"W. Fish at 37°54'35.40"N 91°54'17.96"W or further downstream.

Another good fishing spot is 37°54'46.16"N 91°55'49.64"W. After crossing the bridge that you didn't cross to get to the first location, take a sharp right onto State Rt. P Take the first road on the right (Grotto Rd). Drive across the (small, not very stable-looking) bridge and turn off to park on the 'beach' on the far side. Decent fishing, you could probably swim there, as there are some deeper bits downstream of the bridge. Of course, I don't know if the bridge is still there...


Wow, either you work for a GPS company, or you're a HUUUUGE dork.

_________________
MOHELA Sucks.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Thu 06-12-2008 6:45PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri 02-15-2002 12:09AM
Posts: 125
Location: Peoria, IL

Source: Off Campus
Google Earth is my friend. That's how I would suggest looking up those points, it's where I got them from.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Sun 06-15-2008 8:12PM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sun 11-19-2006 9:39PM
Posts: 275
Location: 20,000 feet and 800 knots

Source: Off Campus
thanks a lot guys


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Thu 06-26-2008 8:54PM 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Mon 09-15-2003 1:14PM
Posts: 22

Source: Off Campus
I've swum here before.

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations ... llaMO.html


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Tue 07-01-2008 4:52PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Wed 05-03-2006 5:52PM
Posts: 1022

Source: Off Campus
nobody wrote:


Did you go during the week or on the weekend? Also, did you have to pay to swim? I've been diving there, but I'd like to start swimming there if it's free (or cheap).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Mon 07-07-2008 9:02PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09-25-2007 3:41PM
Posts: 143
Location: Off-Campus

Source: Off Campus
Duke of URL wrote:
i hear blue springs is great for lots of stuff, but I dont know where it is, and I can't find it on the interwebs X_x
Freshman year I went to a park outside of town that had a creek and some other stuff, I went there fishing on oral directions given by a friend. That may have been it, but it was hella long ago, and i dont remember. All i remember is fishing after dark and having to pay for parking :roll:
Swimming in bray lake or boyd lake sounds like it would be fun, but the internet is being useless, and I'm not back in town yet to go see for myself.


Eh wot? I live in Blue Springs. It's a suburb of Kansas City ;) Ha, I know you didn't mean the city...

_________________
\\xionserv
\\131.151.156.140
<_<;


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Thu 07-10-2008 11:03PM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sun 11-19-2006 9:39PM
Posts: 275
Location: 20,000 feet and 800 knots

Source: Off Campus
yeah, that was hella annoying when I kept doing google searches and Kansas City kept popping up


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Sun 07-27-2008 9:56AM 
Offline
Private

Joined: Thu 05-08-2008 6:24PM
Posts: 3

Source: Off Campus
Blue springs is a creek south of bourbon (not really close, like 40 miles from rolla), here it is on google maps. It's much smaller than lane springs, and its good if you're coming from st. louis, but there's much better stuff closer to rolla.

For swimming around rolla, lane springs is good, but kind of small. You also have the Meramec around St. James (Google maps) like 15 miles away. The gasconade and big piney are close also.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Mon 03-09-2009 2:56PM 
Offline
Corporal

Joined: Mon 03-09-2009 2:07PM
Posts: 8

Source: CompSci Building
I'm from the area and there are a crapload of good swimming and fishing areas in the area, some more hidden than others. At the grotto mentioned above, there is a decent little cliff you can jump off of a few hundred yards down river from the main beach, or you can drive if you have a jeep or something else with clearance high enough to clear the river. Also an awesome rope swing area up around the fort that you can swing out like 20. You gotta be careful at the quail run quarry. I used to live out there and if your not diving with a class and just sneak out there, they get pretty pissed if you get caught. Absolutely amazing fishing if you can get out there without being seen lol


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Mon 03-09-2009 10:12PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
besides being vague and questionably legal advice.. this is an epically old thread.

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group