Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun 10-22-2017 10:24PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 9:28AM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 09-05-2005 9:23PM
Posts: 2128

Source: Fidelity
Where's the best place to go float tripping 'round these parts? What company do you all go through?


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 10:05AM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
if you've got something to haul it with, OAR will rent you canoes super cheap..

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 10:07AM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat 10-18-2003 10:26PM
Posts: 2954
Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Depends where you want to go. I've gone with Huzzah Valley a couple of times, down the Huzzah River and they can also get you to abut against the Meramec. I've gone to a couple other places too. If you only want to go tubing, the Huzzah Valley store had a Tube Run special this summer, 10 bucks a person for a 2-mile float, it was about 3 hours.

It's all the same river, best to find you one that gets the cheapest price for the float you want.

_________________
It's still UMR to me, dammit.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 10:10AM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon 09-24-2007 2:20PM
Posts: 231
Location: Off Campus

Source: Somewhere On Campus
The Rafting Co. is where my family has gone in the past.
http://www.misn.com/TheRaftingCo/
They are outside of Cuba, MO (up I-44 abit).


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 11:24AM 
Offline
Drowning
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 9:36PM
Posts: 4949
Location: ~~~~\o/~~~~~

Source: EE Building
blitzvergnugen wrote:
if you've got something to haul it with, OAR will rent you canoes super cheap..

agreed

_________________
Rolla survivor

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 1:05PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 07-08-2005 7:47PM
Posts: 1106
Location: Quad

Source: Holtman Hall
LostBoyz wrote:
blitzvergnugen wrote:
if you've got something to haul it with, OAR will rent you canoes super cheap..

agreed


Super cheap, but don't lose or damage it. They'll charge you $600+ to replace a $400 canoe.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 1:13PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat 10-18-2003 10:26PM
Posts: 2954
Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
berto wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
blitzvergnugen wrote:
if you've got something to haul it with, OAR will rent you canoes super cheap..

agreed


Super cheap, but don't lose or damage it. They'll charge you $600+ to replace a $400 canoe.


Spoken like a man of experience. :)

You know you shouldn't have been drunk anyway. lol

_________________
It's still UMR to me, dammit.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 1:49PM 
Offline
bertowned
bertowned
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-20-2006 4:26PM
Posts: 2118

Source: Off Campus
I've gone with Akers ferry twice now (on the Current river) and they've been pretty good (great trip this time of year too), and been happy. Did the 12 or 15 mile float last year, and the 19 mile (actually 20.5) 1 day trip a few weeks ago (start of september). Both were great - I think I actually enjoyed the 19.5 mile one more (and if you're doing the longer trip and its getting late - you can always put out at the earlier stop). We launched at 9:30-10, took like an hour and a half for a lunch break, plus some other 10ish minute stops, and ended around 5. I wasn't sore either the next day (surprisingly) so it wasn't that hard of a trip - and I had my own canoe for ~10 miles. Anyhow +1 for akers ferry and the current river down around salem.

_________________
BigPeeOn wrote:
Here's the deal: chemistry is the devil.
Anything beyond balancing an chemical equation is black magic.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 2:11PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 09-05-2005 9:23PM
Posts: 2128

Source: HSS Building
amd2800barton wrote:
I've gone with Akers ferry twice now (on the Current river) and they've been pretty good (great trip this time of year too), and been happy. Did the 12 or 15 mile float last year, and the 19 mile (actually 20.5) 1 day trip a few weeks ago (start of september). Both were great - I think I actually enjoyed the 19.5 mile one more (and if you're doing the longer trip and its getting late - you can always put out at the earlier stop). We launched at 9:30-10, took like an hour and a half for a lunch break, plus some other 10ish minute stops, and ended around 5. I wasn't sore either the next day (surprisingly) so it wasn't that hard of a trip - and I had my own canoe for ~10 miles. Anyhow +1 for akers ferry and the current river down around salem.


I like this one. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We're just going tubing/drinking.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 2:35PM 
Offline
bertowned
bertowned
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-20-2006 4:26PM
Posts: 2118

Source: Off Campus
kjk437 wrote:
I like this one. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We're just going tubing/drinking.


You might get cold if you're going tubing. There's a couple springs that feed into the current river (as well as a neat cave), but the water temperature is fairly cool. This didn't stop me from wade-ing a few hundred yards up river from our canoes, walking out to the middle with a block of foam in my arms, and floating downriver (several times), but it was cold. Makes you feel all manly though. :P

_________________
BigPeeOn wrote:
Here's the deal: chemistry is the devil.
Anything beyond balancing an chemical equation is black magic.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 3:21PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
you feel manly when your junk shrinks?

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Thu 09-25-2008 11:14PM 
Offline
bertowned
bertowned
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-20-2006 4:26PM
Posts: 2118

Source: Off Campus
no i feel manly when other people get out of the water and sit and cry about how cold it is.

_________________
BigPeeOn wrote:
Here's the deal: chemistry is the devil.
Anything beyond balancing an chemical equation is black magic.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Sun 09-28-2008 12:01AM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 08-18-2003 2:33PM
Posts: 1184
Location: Somewhere East Of Pittsburgh

Source: Off Campus
jahornung wrote:
The Rafting Co. is where my family has gone in the past.
http://www.misn.com/TheRaftingCo/
They are outside of Cuba, MO (up I-44 abit).


These guys are great, I'd reccomend them if you're using rafts, and doubly reccomend them if you're brining minors.

However, if you're canoeing, you can't beat OAR's prices.

_________________
MOHELA Sucks.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Wed 10-22-2008 12:59AM 
Offline
Lieutenant

Joined: Tue 10-21-2008 11:34PM
Posts: 52

Source: Tau Kappa Epsilon
I'm never going back to rafting co, but that is mainly because we got pulled over by the water patrol


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Float trip -- who to use?
PostPosted: Wed 10-22-2008 11:24AM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 09-05-2005 9:23PM
Posts: 2128

Source: Fidelity
We ended up going with these guys next to Onondaga Cave. Pretty nice, actually. Then we decided we're just going to buy our own and launch out by ourselves from now on.


Top
 Profile  
    
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group