* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 8:58AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting
PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 3:03PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: Off Campus
I like to eat deer products. I have no problem with killing deer. The deer would kill me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko if it had the chance.

So would a lion. So would a bear. If they wanted to eat me, they'd kill me. If it were fashionable for bears to wear human skin and pretend that they're a woman, they'd kill us for our skin too. The whole mounting of heads thing is just symbolism for mans domination of nature.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 3:08PM 
Brigadier General

Source: CompSci Building
benm wrote:
If it were fashionable for bears to wear human skin and pretend that they're a woman, they'd kill us for our skin too.

How do you know that Bears wouldn't just be a bunch of hippies and not support the killing of other species?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 3:08PM 
bertowned
bertowned

benm wrote:
The whole mounting of heads thing is just symbolism for mans domination of nature.

So I guess that makes FEMA man's symbol of getting fucked up the ass by nature :lol:

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 4:39PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
berto wrote:
Alex Fetters at 1:27pm November 20 wrote:
I would allow you to hunt people that run around naked, jump in front of cars and then have their brains overloaded by the bright lights.
We're higher functioning than any deer will hope to be, and that puts us higher on the food chain.
There's more to the population control than just reducing motor accidents. Crops can be harmed, eco systems thrown off balance. The benefits of deer hunting far outweigh any disadvantages.

Do you really want to pull this argument?

Yeah, they run around naked... because they have fur to cover their body. Yes, they jump in front of cars, I can't argue that. And we are higher functioning and are higher on the food chain, but that doesn't mean we should kill for sport. Lions don't go running around killing animals to mount them on their designated tree. They are higher on the food chain, so why does your logic not apply? And as for pulling the "<insert miscellaneous item here> can be harmed" argument, I should once again hunt humans according to you. We hurt this planet more than help it. We hurt each other more than we help each other. So I should, in essence, be able to hunt any person I want by the standards you've set.

Ok. I'll give you that it is a sport on an individual level, but as a whole aren't the benefits gained from the population control more helpful to the planet. For instance, if the deer population was not kept in check couldn't that destroy entire ecosystems as they could graze entire fields and forest barren of most substance. And don't bring in the "We hurt this planet more than help it" that's not exceptionally relevant to this discussion.

And my justification for hunting the deer is that it is more advantageous in the overall picture to hunt them than to not. So, if you could wholly convince me that "any person" you want to "hunt" would have more advantages than disadvantages...

PS, this was written in time to be right under berto's 1st response.. but I got distracted, forgot about it, then watched a movie :lol:

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 6:29PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Just an FYI, killing for sport is not limited to humans (this arguement only really applies to those of you that think humans just another animal):

Both dogs and cats of all species (from typical domesticated to wild wolves or tigers) have been known to kill solely for sport without eating the kill, without any human training to do so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 7:18PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
ShadowCat38 wrote:
Just an FYI, killing for sport is not limited to humans (this arguement only really applies to those of you that think humans just another animal):

Both dogs and cats of all species (from typical domesticated to wild wolves or tigers) have been known to kill solely for sport without eating the kill, without any human training to do so.

YOU KNOW WHAT, FUCK THE WORLD.

I QUIT.

</seek42>

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 10:27PM 
Major General

Here berto, I think this will help you feel better, since they're using more of the deer.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 10:37PM 
Brigadier General

I would not ring that doorbell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 10:53PM 
post whore
post whore

I'd think the tail would swoop down on my fingers.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 11:54PM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
Chankster wrote:
Could someone give me some deer jerky? I have none :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 11-21-2008 12:16AM 
post whore
post whore

benm wrote:
No

PostPosted: Fri 11-21-2008 2:00PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
Berto, most people I know who don't eat the meat will donate it to "share the harvest" where they pay a small fee to help cover processing, and the meat is donated to a food pantry type organization for the poor.

The hunters who leave meat to rot are generally the poachers, who have no respect for nature or the law. They will shoot a deer out of season, or with an illegal method (spotlighting, at night, while trespassing, etc.). Most hunters have a deeper respect for life and for nature in general than the average non-hunting person. Hunters are part of the life cycle of the planet, much more so than a simple consumer who eats what was killed in a heartless factory and then shipped to McDonalds. A hunter immerses himself in the environment of his prey, and during the hunt gets closer to his prey than some people are to their family. A hunter simply takes the place of a wolf or cougar, in this particular instance.

Not to mention that domesticated food animals like cows and chickens live in inhumane conditions, and are killed mechanically. With hunting, the animal lives in a comparative heaven. No fences, no forced feeding, no injections of hormones, no having their young taken away. True, there is danger - there are predators, vehicles, cold, and disease... but most of those things are natural, it's what the deer was born for. When a hunter shoots an animal, it isn't a mechanical killing like in a slaughterhouse. There is an emotional connection there, man becomes part of nature like little else can do. There is a respect for the animal which has given its life for a man to be sustained. And it's healthy to remember that a living being has to die so you can eat. It keeps things in perspective. I think everyone should have to kill and butcher an animal at least once in their life. It should be a class in elementary school.

As for trophies, that is not much different. Have you ever tried to kill a buck? It's difficult. Displaying a large rack of antlers is like a military medal. It's difficult, and not everyone has done it. Throughout human history, man has almost always been a hunter. It's a masculine activity, and is closely tied with a man's masculine identity. To conquer nature, to brave the elements and to outsmart a more experienced game animal (if you don't think bucks are hard to outsmart, refer back to the beginning of this paragraph - the bigger the rack, the older and more experienced a buck is - and the more hunters he has outsmarted), are all things that should go on your man-resume. If you climbed Mount Everest, you'd have a newspaper clipping framed on your wall. If you won a sports tournament, you'd have a trophy on your mantel. Man has been hunting for far longer than he has been recreationally climbing mountains or engaging in ritualistic combat - hunting is part of our genetic and even spiritual heritage. And there's nothing wrong with displaying a trophy to remember and brag about your success.

I hope you find this informative, whether it sways your opinion.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Sat 11-22-2008 8:13PM 
Brigadier General

the naked prophet wrote:
See, it's this line of thinking I can get behind. Thanks for taking the time to actually give me an informative opinion and not one that just attacks me like the other people in this thread. Believe it or not, after reading it, I actually feel as though my opinion has been swayed. Congrats, sir.

PostPosted: Sat 11-22-2008 9:18PM 
Brigadier General

Berto is just feeling the early holiday season love. He will become argumentative and snotty again in January.

Also, late to the argument, but I think deer hunting is cool. I have never gone, but I can totally see how it is a rush of testosterone for some people. I know when I play hockey I get a semi chub every time I hit someone and I can totally see someone getting their jollies off outsmarting woodland creature and putting a bullet in 'em.

Only problem I have with NP's post is the whole teaching deer hunting in school. F that. I am a firm believer that sports should be rooted in a parent to child relationship. I started playing sports before I went to kindergarten and have never stopped playing to this day. P.E. class was always worthless to me but learning from my dad and coaches has been a good life experience. Leave hunting lessons to those who want to do it, don't bring it to the schools.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 11-23-2008 11:58AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Was mine an attack? I was just stating that such behavior is not unique to humans. I don't remember attacking. I can, though, if you like.

Profile E-mail