Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 7:00AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 12:39AM 
I gotta have more cowbell

Source: Off Campus
ben laden wrote:
Bummy wrote:
Hmm, this sounds an awful lot like church for non-believers to me. Isn't part of the whole appeal to not associating one self with a religion the fact that you don't meet up with those who share common beliefs to talk about it? That's probably the biggest reason why a group such as this would not survive.

Are you kidding? The whole "appeal" is because you don't BELIEVE in it. Sure, there are certainly some people who do it for the attention, but...., what the fuck? Do you seriously think people are atheist because they don't want to discus their beliefs with other similarly-minded people?

Perhaps you should have read closer, since I said only PART of the appeal. Obviously that's not the only reason someone would be an Atheist, but again, isn't PART of the idealism of being an atheist self sustainability when it comes to religion? I think so. That isn't to say that people can't have different reasons for wanting to be an atheist. But I still feel that being able to isolate one self from religion through atheism does have a certain appeal to some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 12:53AM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Source: Fidelity
those people are agnostic. I dont mind atheists, as long as they are not dawkinsish. I fucking hate that douche bag.

Also, doesnt it sound a little weird that you are paying an organization to help you find out that you dont believe in god....I dont quite get that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 7:41AM 
Lieutenant General

Wow, just wow....

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 9:38AM 
Colonel

Source: MechE Building
Bummy wrote:
Hmm, this sounds an awful lot like church for non-believers to me. Isn't part of the whole appeal to not associating one self with a religion the fact that you don't meet up with those who share common beliefs to talk about it? That's probably the biggest reason why a group such as this would not survive.

Your associating Atheists with Anarchists, which we arent. Some people believe in a higher power, we dont. thats it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 10:46AM 
Captain

Source: Kelly Hall
Atheism is an ignorant stance to take. Admit it, you will never know for sure, so why pretend to? Most atheists i know use it more as a tool to argue with people rather than a spiritual thing, which is a lot like the other major religions.

I have realized that following an organized religion, whatever it be, is very much not for me. I would rather come up with my own beliefs and spirituality through reading, introspection, and exploration, rather than have someone give me a pamphlet and tell me what to believe.

Its easy to say 'yes God exists' or 'no God doesnt exist', but its not easy to recognize both sides of the argument and go from there.

Good luck gentleman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 11:08AM 
Lieutenant General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Or how about just trying to find a good moral ground and standing on it? You don't have to preach about what you believe or don't believe like the people you claim to be so full of hatred against. You whine about the local religous organizations handing out bibles, and the everyminer.com website, and yet you still want to try to get together and be like them... I just don't get it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 11:47AM 
Major General

Source: EE Building
Rant:

Starting an atheism club is just another way of creating divisions and that atheists stand on a higher moral ground than everyone else. Before I'm flamed, yes, I see this in the on campus Christian groups, as well.

This is the club I'd like to see: Open Religious Discussion Group. It is my complete and utter belief that the constant segregation of religions from one another is destroying this world. There is not near enough public discourse on each other's beliefs, and that needs to change: Fast.

Take the Socratic method and just start talking about religions. We don't need 38 different groups so that those with similar beliefs can sit around and slap each other on the ass and talk about how great they are.

I am agnostic. I don't explicitly believe in God, but I do believe in something. I don't know what and don't believe I have the capability to find out otherwise. What I want is everyone to sit down and talk about what they believe.

That's a club I would join, and would love to start if anyone is interested in joining with me.

/Rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 11:54AM 
Major

Source: MST Wireless
kjk437 wrote:
Rant:

Starting an atheism club is just another way of creating divisions and that atheists stand on a higher moral ground than everyone else. Before I'm flamed, yes, I see this in the on campus Christian groups, as well.

This is the club I'd like to see: Open Religious Discussion Group. It is my complete and utter belief that the constant segregation of religions from one another is destroying this world. There is not near enough public discourse on each other's beliefs, and that needs to change: Fast.

Take the Socratic method and just start talking about religions. We don't need 38 different groups so that those with similar beliefs can sit around and slap each other on the ass and talk about how great they are.

I am agnostic. I don't explicitly believe in God, but I do believe in something. I don't know what and don't believe I have the capability to find out otherwise. What I want is everyone to sit down and talk about what they believe.

That's a club I would join, and would love to start if anyone is interested in joining with me.

/Rant
Intelligent, open-minded thinking ftw!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 1:10PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
kjk437 wrote:

Truth. Tell me where to sign up for your club.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 2:08PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ South
kjk437 wrote:
Rant:

/Rant

Props, i would join

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 2:23PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
^^ I like the above idea too.

I think some of you guys totally missed the point on this.

A club can take many different forms. Why do the gay people have their own club? Do they want others to be gay? Or do they just want a place to meet and greet and get a little representation in the vast array of clubs out there? That's my point.

Guys, atheism isn't a religion. Don't treat it as such. So maybe the Baptist club is trying to convert people for christ. It's laughable that anyone would suggest that a non-believer would lift a finger to try to de-convert someone.

Such a club would, in a way, be about every view on religion that isn't already represented on campus. Sort of. That's the idea. Because non-traditional viewpoints are more individualistic, you could say that each of us has our own 'religion' centered around what we believe personally. So then you'd have a melting pot open forum of philosophical ideas. That sounds highly interesting to me.

As for it being a church atmosphere or a 'here is what you think' atmosphere, no. Those do not appeal to most atheists. But an open discussion on various topics surrounding non-traditional views, I think that would be good.

jthxv wrote:
You don't have to preach about what you believe or don't believe like the people you claim to be so full of hatred against. You whine about the local religous organizations handing out bibles, and the everyminer.com website, and yet you still want to try to get together and be like them... I just don't get it.

Do you seriously think that atheists would run around campus yelling 'stop believing in your gods'? Or hand out pamphlets saying 'your god sucks'? I think I speak for most of us when I say, uh, no. "Full of hatred?" I hate the religious? When did this start? I'll speak for myself, thank you.

I'm trying to be mature here, help me out a little huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 4:25PM 
Lieutenant General

devil wrote:
god is for people too old to believe in the boogeyman and the tooth fairy.

Although I do wish one of those people tried to hand crap to me. I love it when evangelicals try to convert me. Nothing's more entertaining than telling them that religion is shit :D

There are many more, I just don't feel like looking. See, I maintain no religous affiliation, therefore when I talk out my ass, I only make myself look bad...

Handing out fliers, oh dear that is horrible...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 4:37PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Triangle
Lets just clarify that there is a big difference between anti-church and anti-religion. Everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe, but there is no reaon to be a douche and try to force ideals on people who dont want to hear it. I've seen atheists and christians being equally idiotic when trying to out-preach each other.

http://www.aperturescience.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 5:51PM 
Colonel

God created physics and energy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-30-2007 6:44PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
karl wrote:
God created physics and energy.

Cthulhu created god

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next