Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:15AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: No means no?
PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 5:00AM 
Sergeant

Source: Off Campus
berto wrote:
I'm pretty much with TNP. To say that the victim is never at fault is naive and childish. Everyone puts themselves in the situations they encounter. You obviously can't completely avoid rape and sometimes the victim is not at fault, but you increase your odds of avoiding by not getting wasted at a random party around people you don't or even do know.

Basically, it isn't always the case that the victim made bad choices, but sometimes it is. That is also not to say they have it coming when they do make bad decisions, but they should have been more responsible.

This is the kind of logic that will gaurantee even more crime bulletins sent to my email next St. Pat's.

There are people who prey on this concept. Just like people will prey on 12 year olds, others will prey on drunk chicks. It's a community effort to prevent this from happening. This is our community here, and every chance we have to root out the bastards we must take! It's so easy to blame the girl for being drunk though, isn't it? Jealous you probably are.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 8:08AM 
Captain

Attack! Rat wrote:
berto wrote:
I'm pretty much with TNP. To say that the victim is never at fault is naive and childish. Everyone puts themselves in the situations they encounter. You obviously can't completely avoid rape and sometimes the victim is not at fault, but you increase your odds of avoiding by not getting wasted at a random party around people you don't or even do know.

Basically, it isn't always the case that the victim made bad choices, but sometimes it is. That is also not to say they have it coming when they do make bad decisions, but they should have been more responsible.

This is the kind of logic that will gaurantee even more crime bulletins sent to my email next St. Pat's.

There are people who prey on this concept. Just like people will prey on 12 year olds, others will prey on drunk chicks. It's a community effort to prevent this from happening. This is our community here, and every chance we have to root out the bastards we must take! It's so easy to blame the girl for being drunk though, isn't it? Jealous you probably are.

The community wouldn't have to deal with it if the chicks didn't get obliterated to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 9:22AM 
Major General

You know, as much as I agree that the law is slanted against the male gender right now, it takes 2 to tango. Even if the girl is completely obliterated, a guy with an ounce of morale fiber should be able to tell that maybe now isn't the best time to just go for it. So, to quote berto:
berto wrote:
To say that the victim is never at fault is naive and childish.

Even when the victim is at fault, the responsibility of assuring consensual sex falls on both parties.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 2:17PM 
Brigadier General

Attack! Rat wrote:

You better re-read your logic as it is far more flawed than mine. I bet you're one of those people who blames musicians for all the bad things that happen to kids that listen to their music as opposed to the parents, aren't you? Because in your world, the victim party is NEVER to blame. But it's your type of thinking that will inevitably lead to more emails next St. Pats. Heaven forbid you hold people accountable for their actions. And to say that I'm jealous is really... wow. Childish? Dumb? I really hope you aren't as ignorant in real life as you are in this thread.

One more thing, how exactly do we remove these people from our community? It can be anyone, including your closest friends whom you SWEAR you know. I don't see this as possible unless we're in some shitty movie like Minority Report.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 2:19PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

berto wrote:
And to say that I'm jealous is really... wow. Childish? Dumb? I really hope you aren't as ignorant in real life as you are in every thread you post in.

Fixed.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 3:37PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Well put berto.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 3:54PM 
Brigadier General

berto wrote:
Attack! Rat wrote:

You better re-read your logic as it is far more flawed than mine. I bet you're one of those people who blames musicians for all the bad things that happen to kids that listen to their music as opposed to the parents, aren't you? Because in your world, the victim party is NEVER to blame. But it's your type of thinking that will inevitably lead to more emails next St. Pats. Heaven forbid you hold people accountable for their actions. And to say that I'm jealous is really... wow. Childish? Dumb? I really hope you aren't as ignorant in real life as you are in this thread.

One more thing, how exactly do we remove these people from our community? It can be anyone, including your closest friends whom you SWEAR you know. I don't see this as possible unless we're in some shitty movie like Minority Report.

fwiw I loved Minority Report.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 8:11PM 
post whore
post whore

berto wrote:
Attack! Rat wrote:

To reiterate what everyone else has said leading up to this:
-I don't leave wads of cash on the dashboard of my car. Yes, it is illegal to break into my car and steal the cash... but I should still know better than to do that. I should act with safety in mind if I care about my wad of cash. Everyone will still call me a dumb idiot if I leave the cash out on the dash and it gets stolen... even though stealing is illegal.

-I don't walk through dark alleys in bad parts of town. Yes, it's illegal to mug me... but I should still know better than to do that. If I get mugged, people will still think I'm dumb for doing it - even though the crime was committed against me.

For the same reason that you shouldn't do the above, a girl shouldn't get very very drunk at a party where she doesn't have someone there to watch/protect her. Let me be very clear: it shouldn't reduce the criminality of rape, but it certainly does put a portion of the blame on her shoulders. I think most people here are going to agree with that.

The analogy gets fuzzy after this point though - putting a wad of cash on the dashboard doesn't make me say to criminals, "Come steal my cash" - it just makes it available. Getting really trashed on the other hand can make you say, "Yes". As a society, we've decided that the other party should know when that "Yes" shouldn't be taken literally. But it seems like a very difficult thing to prove fairly and reliably that in the given situation, the other party should have known that the "Yes" wasn't indeed a "Yes".

I got bored, the end.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 9:10PM 
Corporal

The guys get criminal charges that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.
The girls have to deal with the fact that their own dumbassery got them in some serious shit.
Everybody learned a tough lesson, and both are at fault.
Yeah, its horrible. That's life.
The girls here should know not to get shitfaced without someone they know and trust to make sure they get home. Seriously, that's it, common sense could have prevented all this. It's Rolla, aren't the people here supposed to be smart?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 9:13PM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Do we know they were shit-faced?

Just curious if you guys saw something I didn't.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 9:46PM 
Corporal

dannyboyfx wrote:

Good point. I just assumed those were the circumstances because if the girl wasn't completely trashed (maybe the guy was?), I would hope she'd defend herself. Personally, I have no problem with a knee to the crotch or elbow to the face if a guy pushes it too far. But hey, that's me.

Also, since all this occurred over St. Pats weekend, I figured it was relatively safe to assume alcohol was a major contributor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 10:12PM 
Brigadier General

I believe the conversation swayed from the path of the St. Pats' incidents to more of a general who-is-to-blame topic...

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 10:32PM 
Major General

berto wrote:
I believe the conversation swayed from the path of the St. Pats' incidents to more of a general who-is-to-blame topic...

astute observation! Give this man a prize.

PostPosted: Tue 03-24-2009 8:03AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
firenza wrote:
dannyboyfx wrote:

Good point. I just assumed those were the circumstances because if the girl wasn't completely trashed (maybe the guy was?), I would hope she'd defend herself. Personally, I have no problem with a knee to the crotch or elbow to the face if a guy pushes it too far. But hey, that's me.

Also, since all this occurred over St. Pats weekend, I figured it was relatively safe to assume alcohol was a major contributor.

I agree. If the female victim was not drinking, there is only one good way for an attempted rape to turn out - she shoots him, and he dies on the spot. No rape, no lengthy trial, no debates over whether it's moral to execute a rapist.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Tue 03-24-2009 10:51AM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

the naked prophet wrote:
I agree. If the female victim was not drinking, there is only one good way for an attempted rape to turn out - she shoots him, and he dies on the spot. No rape, no lengthy trial, no debates over whether it's moral to execute a rapist.

Oh yeah, sounds like a fucking great plan. Let's all carry guns to parties, especially over St. Pat's. That doesn't sound like a recipe for disaster at all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next