Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 12:07AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Homo week
PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 7:28AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
berto wrote:
What? The way you handle things is by leaving them alone for fear of no results? In that case, MLK Jr. wouldn't have kept protesting, Jesus would have stopped performing miracles (for example purposes, I'm not steering this into a religious debate kthx), and you would realize you'll never get a girlfriend and take yourself out of the gene pool.

It's kids like you and SC that will never make a difference. At least others are trying. So instead of bashing ideas, assuming you can do it better, why don't you take a stab at it and cease your bitching.

I never said that they shouldn't try. I just said that they should consider their target audience before making a decision about how they wish to present themselves. Their current method may work, but it is by far not the best way to go about it. Don't throw me into a group of do-nothings, because I will change the world (it just won't be for this cause). The only reason I have bashed this idea is because it looks like they aren't even trying to break the stigma of repulsiveness that tends to follow homosexuality in today's society. If you are going to do something, do it right.

Do I find homosexuality repulsive? Yes. Do I think less of those that follow that lifestyle? No. Am I going to attend an event that implies activities unique to homosexuals will be taking place, whether or not that is what will actually happen? Hell no. Therefore, they have failed to make any kind of argument to me, and anyone else that thinks along the same lines or even have an even more conservative world view than my own. Since that group is their biggest opponent, I would like to imagine that that is their target audience.

What I want to hear is the thought process behind the decision to name this event, and if anyone even considered what others with views different than their own may think. Because from where I stand, there is a LOT of room for improvement. From what blacktravis has stated, organizers thought it should have been obvious that actual homosexual acts would not occur, which is an extremely poor assumption, especially with an event name like that. From what it looks like on the outside, that misunderstanding was intended when the name was chosen, and that is why I believe that this whole ordeal is in poor taste, and can be vastly improved.

This isn't a difficult concept. Why is this event being held in the first place? (I actually want to see an answer to this question)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 7:36AM 
Brigadier General

Who actually goes on campus during the day anyway? I walk from Havener to CS or HSS once a day in late afternoon and never see anything that is happening on campus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 8:06AM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
Dunno I am in EE all day everyday

This arguement is dumb we have decided that what is going on is no revolutionary event. No one is offering a better idea so just leave it at that.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 10:35AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Twilyte wrote:
Climb down off your cross, we need the wood.

By listing them as examples, you open the door for comparisons to be made dumbass. As for instances of people pursuing ideas in the face of adversity, history is filled with such things, you merely chose the most sensational with little regard to relation to the issue. MLK's pursuit of equality comes close to the issue, but the scale of his deeds and the way in which protests were targeted was much more apt to the situations he faced. Do you honestly believe this Wild Kingdom approach has been optimally designed for its target audience. "Here we see the wild homo is his natural habitat, watch as he writes in his notebook while text-messaging his friends. Truly this is a sight to behold. Oh, oh, quiet. I think he has taken notice of our crew. Careful, we don't want to agitate him. Stay tuned for more after a word from our sponsors."

Curiosity does not equate to people changing their political/personal stances on issues, it merely allows those who would be open to such things to do so, AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS ENTIRE TIME. How can this be confusing you? The majority humans live in this state of personal flux, such that with a carefully crafted speech followed up with examples, they can be influenced toward supporting or believing in specific ideas. *cough* global cooling *cough*. Some are more easily drawn to this influence than others, and it is these that I say are the most likely to be changed by an event. Simply because it is difficult to overcome the things you were raised to believe. Weren't raised to see homosexuals as demons? Congrats, you will be more willing to listen to them and process their ideas.

Climb down off my cross... that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm willing to bet you put it there solely to insult me and distract everyone else away from the fact that you have no point. Because you don't. Okay, I opened a door for comparisons assuming you're stupid enough to compare them, but that doesn't mean I made the comparison. You chose to go this route, not I. So look to yourself kthx.

And I seriously don't know why you are arguing. You say "only people that will be open to listen to them will actually listen to them." Really? I wasn't aware since that was the point of the program. Isn't that the only logical way anything such as this can really end? The people who may be swayed will listen, and people who can't be, won't. So why are you stating the obvious? That isn't a conclusion or stance of any sort. It's common sense and it's what the program was designed for. Why bad mouth it if you say that it is going to do what it was designed to do?

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 10:56AM 
Major

berto wrote:
Twilyte wrote:
Climb down off your cross, we need the wood.

By listing them as examples, you open the door for comparisons to be made dumbass. As for instances of people pursuing ideas in the face of adversity, history is filled with such things, you merely chose the most sensational with little regard to relation to the issue. MLK's pursuit of equality comes close to the issue, but the scale of his deeds and the way in which protests were targeted was much more apt to the situations he faced. Do you honestly believe this Wild Kingdom approach has been optimally designed for its target audience. "Here we see the wild homo is his natural habitat, watch as he writes in his notebook while text-messaging his friends. Truly this is a sight to behold. Oh, oh, quiet. I think he has taken notice of our crew. Careful, we don't want to agitate him. Stay tuned for more after a word from our sponsors."

Curiosity does not equate to people changing their political/personal stances on issues, it merely allows those who would be open to such things to do so, AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS ENTIRE TIME. How can this be confusing you? The majority humans live in this state of personal flux, such that with a carefully crafted speech followed up with examples, they can be influenced toward supporting or believing in specific ideas. *cough* global cooling *cough*. Some are more easily drawn to this influence than others, and it is these that I say are the most likely to be changed by an event. Simply because it is difficult to overcome the things you were raised to believe. Weren't raised to see homosexuals as demons? Congrats, you will be more willing to listen to them and process their ideas.

Climb down off my cross... that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm willing to bet you put it there solely to insult me and distract everyone else away from the fact that you have no point. Because you don't. Okay, I opened a door for comparisons assuming you're stupid enough to compare them, but that doesn't mean I made the comparison. You chose to go this route, not I. So look to yourself kthx.

And I seriously don't know why you are arguing. You say "only people that will be open to listen to them will actually listen to them." Really? I wasn't aware since that was the point of the program. Isn't that the only logical way anything such as this can really end? The people who may be swayed will listen, and people who can't be, won't. So why are you stating the obvious? That isn't a conclusion or stance of any sort. It's common sense and it's what the program was designed for. Why bad mouth it if you say that it is going to do what it was designed to do?

I placed it there because you were being self-righteous. Making comparisons to examples provided is not stupidity, you implied a comparison when you introduced them, that's kind of the point of an example. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/example

As for your second paragraph, if you cannot understand the point I was trying to make, then I truly feel sorry for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 10:59AM 
Brigadier General

Twilyte wrote:
I placed it there because you were being self-righteous. Making comparisons to examples provided is not stupidity, you implied a comparison when you introduced them, that's kind of the point of an example. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/example

As for your second paragraph, if you cannot understand the point I was trying to make, then I truly feel sorry for you.

I can't argue with stupid. Back on topic in 3...2...1...

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 11:01AM 
Major

berto wrote:
Twilyte wrote:

I can't argue with stupid. Back on topic in 3...2...1...

Then we are in agreement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 11:07AM 
Colonel

Source: Sigma Nu
random comment, I dunno what it is about Twilyte's avatar but it really disturbs me.

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 12:46PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ South
Why is it that we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 2:37PM 
Major General

dar9q7 wrote:
random comment, I dunno what it is about Twilyte's avatar but it really disturbs me.

Most things about Twilyte should disturb you.

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 3:08PM 
Major

blitzvergnugen wrote:
dar9q7 wrote:

Most things about Twilyte should disturb you.

Damn, you beat me to it Blitz. :lol:

-6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Ram
-eVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB Video Card
-Razer Barracuda 7.1 Sound Card
-8 HD's totaling 5820GB Storage
-Corsair 1000HX 1000W PSU

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 5:58PM 
Major

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This bullshit again? Really? Every year the same 'Homo Week', every year a few of people pissing and moaning about it but making it clear that they're not bigots. Get the fuck over it. People will do things you don't like. If you really want to change it, contact the group who organized it and make your case in a civil manner, not using inflammatory language designed to work people into arguments. Maybe even suggest something you think would help.

I don't want to spend any more time on this than I have to, so I'll just respond to ShadowCat. I had nothing to do with the event, but I'd bet it was called "Live Homosexual Acts" to not only be memorable and attention-getting, but also be truthful. If you actually thought that meant they'd be having sex on the Puck, then you'd probably also believe the university would allow a show called "Live Queers Fucking in the Ass" to be just what it sounds like, and I weep for you. The point is to show that gays are just normal people, and it was placed on an area of campus that is difficult for a lot of people to avoid unless they specifically remember to do so. Once it's seen, the idea is that people will see how benign it is and maybe think some thoughts they never did before.

I won't comment on its effectiveness because that's really hard without real numbers. The fact is, this campus is so apathetic that nothing is really going to matter. Some people will chest-pound, some people will whine and cry, but in the end we all just move the fuck on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 7:49PM 
Lieutenant

I just hope that that stupid "pastor" doesn't show up again masking his bigotry and intolerance with "God's word". I hate that guy. I hate that guy so much. Oh well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 7:57PM 
Colonel

ramsfan_365 wrote:
I just hope that that stupid "pastor" doesn't show up again masking his bigotry and intolerance with "God's word". I hate that guy. I hate that guy so much. Oh well...

Are you kidding? That was one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen on campus. With absurd things like that, you just have to laugh it off.

PostPosted: Wed 04-15-2009 9:38AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: MST Wireless
GamerDonkey wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This bullshit again? Really? Every year the same 'Homo Week', every year a few of people pissing and moaning about it but making it clear that they're not bigots. Get the fuck over it. People will do things you don't like. If you really want to change it, contact the group who organized it and make your case in a civil manner, not using inflammatory language designed to work people into arguments. Maybe even suggest something you think would help.

I don't want to spend any more time on this than I have to, so I'll just respond to ShadowCat. I had nothing to do with the event, but I'd bet it was called "Live Homosexual Acts" to not only be memorable and attention-getting, but also be truthful. If you actually thought that meant they'd be having sex on the Puck, then you'd probably also believe the university would allow a show called "Live Queers Fucking in the Ass" to be just what it sounds like, and I weep for you. The point is to show that gays are just normal people, and it was placed on an area of campus that is difficult for a lot of people to avoid unless they specifically remember to do so. Once it's seen, the idea is that people will see how benign it is and maybe think some thoughts they never did before.

I won't comment on its effectiveness because that's really hard without real numbers. The fact is, this campus is so apathetic that nothing is really going to matter. Some people will chest-pound, some people will whine and cry, but in the end we all just move the fuck on.

I am satisfied with this response, primarily the last paragraph.

If anyone else wants to continue the mutation of this thread into a flame war, then by all means. It isn't what I intended when I started it, but I am done here.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next