Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:22AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Homo week
PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 11:53AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
LostBoyz wrote:
Personally I dont like the events because most people I know dont care about other peoples sexual preference and those that do are not going to change (goran). So yes you can have pride in what you are but holding an event for it only displays your diferences.

This is basically what I was trying to say, only better, and less hostile. I need to work on my presentation, I suppose.

QFT

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 1:26PM 
Colonel

Source: Sigma Nu
I agree that the name they used for the event, regardless of whether it is intended to clear up bigotry and misunderstanding or not, was chosen to incite conflict.

I think this is an issue where people's opinions are rarely, if ever, changed and therefore the purpose of the week is moot. In my opinion, it is another example of a minority group striving for attention because they are different and it is for that reason that I dislike the week.

I have no problem with someone who is homosexual or chooses to live their life differently than I do, that is your own business; but when I am bombarded by signs, emails, and sidewalk chalk that is often flamboyant and beyond stereotypical, I get bothered. When my daily routine or level of comfort is altered because someone chooses to make sure that I know they are different, I get bothered. To me it is obnoxious that someone who is different has to shove that difference in my face, almost like they are craving attention.

Political correctness is bulls**t that holds back the opinions and ideas of the majority for the sake of the minority.

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 2:24PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ South
There are quite a few kids (and adults) that die each year simply because of their lifestyles. And there are plenty more who, as a previous poster noted, find it cool and manly to pick on gay people (likely to repress their own latent homosexuality - or because their parents didn't love them). As a culture we have developed hyper-masculinity, which includes an irrational fear of giving off any impression that you could be gay. Did you know in the 1800s men would write letters to each other expressing their (brotherly, platonic) love? People would never do this nowadays because this could (would) be misconstrued as wanting to have sex with this person.

The point is that today gays are still being shunned hardcore (not always with violence, sometimes very subtly) because of a weird stigma or taboo that still surrounds how they live, which has grown worse from the aforementioned hyper-masculinity. So I don't blame them for putting this on - it gets this issue out in the open. Is it so much better to ignore them and secretly think they're disgusting people?

Just a quick two cents.

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 2:39PM 
Colonel

Source: Sigma Nu
Understandable but that intolerance is generally brought on by blind ignorance or social upbringing that can not and will not be affected by a social statement, like a week dedicated to homosexual awareness. Assuming that is true, what real purpose does it serve? In my opinion it will just invoke more hatred and frustrations and further the problem, or just cause others to blatantly ignore the issue

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 2:52PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
dar9q7 wrote:
Understandable but that intolerance is generally brought on by blind ignorance or social upbringing that can not and will not be affected by a social statement, like a week dedicated to homosexual awareness. Assuming that is true, what real purpose does it serve? In my opinion it will just invoke more hatred and frustrations and further the problem, or just cause others to blatantly ignore the issue

African-americans get a whole month, and people here are concerned about gay people taking a week? I still want to know where my straight-male-white-anglo-saxon-protestant day is*!

* hah, just kidding... it's every day of the year.**

** /sarcasm***

*** lulz

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 3:52PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
ShadowCat38 wrote:
Few things would surprise me anymore when it comes to what this school would do, or allow to happen. Regardless, the things you described the attendees actually doing are hardly "Homosexual Acts," in fact, they aren't even "heterosexual acts" because there is nothing sexual about them. If anything, it should be called "Live Student Acts" because I am pretty sure that there will be more than just homosexuals in the area doing the exact same things because those are things students do. The event was given the name has because it was meant to incite this exact type of response and try to start a conflict, and that was a hidden point in my previous post. Of course homosexuals don't act differently than the rest of the human race, but putting on an event with that kind of name is hardly going to help your case, or further your point. Those that would be even a bit repulsed by the idea that that name is meant to sound like (regardless of its underlying intent) are going to avoid the area and you will have accomplished nothing. As I said before, many homosexuals keep trying to blend in by standing out. It doesn't work.

If an event was hosted called "Live Heterosexual Acts," I'd avoid it too, simply because acts of intimacy that the name of the event IMPLIES are nothing I want to witness.

And Goran, you are not helping anyone.

Uhh... that's the point. Heterosexual people are the same as homosexual people minus the sexual preference. Hence, them doing things that "Live Students" would do. It's about equality. Are you really that dumb SC?

Also, Goran, feel free to oppose the week and the idea, but don't start bashing homosexuals. I don't care if this is America, I'll ban you because I can.

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 3:56PM 
Brigadier General

Altaica wrote:
dar9q7 wrote:

African-americans get a whole month, and people here are concerned about gay people taking a week? I still want to know where my straight-male-white-anglo-saxon-protestant day is*!

* hah, just kidding... it's every day of the year.**

** /sarcasm***

*** lulz

I lol'd.

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 4:53PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
berto wrote:
Uhh... that's the point. Heterosexual people are the same as homosexual people minus the sexual preference. Hence, them doing things that "Live Students" would do. It's about equality. Are you really that dumb SC?

Also, Goran, feel free to oppose the week and the idea, but don't start bashing homosexuals. I don't care if this is America, I'll ban you because I can.

I understand that that is the point, but it is a poorly executed way to get that point across. People that have the irrational fear of homosexuals, or people that find them irrevocably repulsive will not go anywhere near the event's location because of the name, completely defeating the purpose of having the event in the first place.

This isn't a unique situation. There are many fundamentalist groups that have a great idea, but totally destroy any hope of spreading it by presenting the said idea in an extremely poor fashion. If you REALLY want to demonstrate that homosexuals are no different than heterosexuals, then find a way to do it that is not offensive to the group you are attempting to appeal to. Running around campus stamping your feet and screaming "I'm GAY, and PROUD of it" is going to accomplish little more than labeling yourself as an attention whore. YOU are the ones who are different. YOU are the ones wanting acceptance. YOU NEED to be the ones to find a way to accomplish that task without pissing off the very group you are trying to appeal to. It is called "Good PR." And good luck, you'll all need it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 9:01PM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

ShadowCat38 wrote:
berto wrote:

I understand that that is the point, but it is a poorly executed way to get that point across. People that have the irrational fear of homosexuals, or people that find them irrevocably repulsive will not go anywhere near the event's location because of the name, completely defeating the purpose of having the event in the first place.

This isn't a unique situation. There are many fundamentalist groups that have a great idea, but totally destroy any hope of spreading it by presenting the said idea in an extremely poor fashion. If you REALLY want to demonstrate that homosexuals are no different than heterosexuals, then find a way to do it that is not offensive to the group you are attempting to appeal to. Running around campus stamping your feet and screaming "I'm GAY, and PROUD of it" is going to accomplish little more than labeling yourself as an attention whore. YOU are the ones who are different. YOU are the ones wanting acceptance. YOU NEED to be the ones to find a way to accomplish that task without pissing off the very group you are trying to appeal to. It is called "Good PR." And good luck, you'll all need it.

I think people will walk by it anyway. On the way to class or something, there will be a homophobe that walks by it, sees that nothing "gay" is going on, just normal people doing normal things. And maybe that will inspire one person to change. I don't see this convincing people that minorities are bad, and it may make one person realize that different is good. And if one person's mind is changed, it is a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 9:22PM 
Major

dannyboyfx wrote:
I think people will walk by it anyway. On the way to class or something, there will be a homophobe that walks by it, sees that nothing "gay" is going on, just normal people doing normal things. And maybe that will inspire one person to change. I don't see this convincing people that minorities are bad, and it may make one person realize that different is good. And if one person's mind is changed, it is a good idea.

Are you going to start singing "We are the World"? Or can you cut the crap and realize it won't change anything. If a person's mind could be swayed by such a display, then they never really held a strong conviction for/against to begin with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 10:06PM 
Brigadier General

Twilyte wrote:
Are you going to start singing "We are the World"? Or can you cut the crap and realize it won't change anything. If a person's mind could be swayed by such a display, then they never really held a strong conviction for/against to begin with.

What? The way you handle things is by leaving them alone for fear of no results? In that case, MLK Jr. wouldn't have kept protesting, Jesus would have stopped performing miracles (for example purposes, I'm not steering this into a religious debate kthx), and you would realize you'll never get a girlfriend and take yourself out of the gene pool.

It's kids like you and SC that will never make a difference. At least others are trying. So instead of bashing ideas, assuming you can do it better, why don't you take a stab at it and cease your bitching.

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 10:13PM 
Major

berto wrote:
Twilyte wrote:

What? The way you handle things is by leaving them alone for fear of no results? In that case, MLK Jr. wouldn't have kept protesting, Jesus would have stopped performing miracles (for example purposes, I'm not steering this into a religious debate kthx), and you would realize you'll never get a girlfriend and take yourself out of the gene pool.

It's kids like you and SC that will never make a difference. At least others are trying. So instead of bashing ideas, assuming you can do it better, why don't you take a stab at it and cease your bitching.

Stop being a retard. I did not say that people should not protest/speak to the masses, I merely stated that this particular instance of awareness is ineffectual in my eyes. Such a passive aggressive display would merely attract those already on the fence, not those whom have their own reasons to be homophobic. Do not even begin comparing this little 'skit' with the works of Jesus and MLK, this is nothing compared to their efforts.

As for bashing ideas, you have no room to talk. Anytime someone offers a dissenting opinion, you smack it down with insults and aggressive speech.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 10:45PM 
Major

Source: RC II
this is srs business

PostPosted: Mon 04-13-2009 11:14PM 
Brigadier General

Twilyte wrote:
berto wrote:
Twilyte wrote:

Stop being a retard. I did not say that people should not protest/speak to the masses, I merely stated that this particular instance of awareness is ineffectual in my eyes. Such a passive aggressive display would merely attract those already on the fence, not those whom have their own reasons to be homophobic. Do not even begin comparing this little 'skit' with the works of Jesus and MLK, this is nothing compared to their efforts.

As for bashing ideas, you have no room to talk. Anytime someone offers a dissenting opinion, you smack it down with insults and aggressive speech.

I only follow the path kids set up for me, such as the opinions strewn about in this thread. Aggressive and insulting.

And don't call me stupid when you can't discern the difference between comparisons and examples. I was giving you instances in which people did not give up when the idea seemed stupid. And what you deem ineffectual is actually pretty effective from a campus perspective. It incites curiosity and people swing by, whether it initially be with bad intentions or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue 04-14-2009 1:20AM 
Major

berto wrote:
Twilyte wrote:
berto wrote:

I only follow the path kids set up for me, such as the opinions strewn about in this thread. Aggressive and insulting.

And don't call me stupid when you can't discern the difference between comparisons and examples. I was giving you instances in which people did not give up when the idea seemed stupid. And what you deem ineffectual is actually pretty effective from a campus perspective. It incites curiosity and people swing by, whether it initially be with bad intentions or whatever.

Climb down off your cross, we need the wood.

By listing them as examples, you open the door for comparisons to be made dumbass. As for instances of people pursuing ideas in the face of adversity, history is filled with such things, you merely chose the most sensational with little regard to relation to the issue. MLK's pursuit of equality comes close to the issue, but the scale of his deeds and the way in which protests were targeted was much more apt to the situations he faced. Do you honestly believe this Wild Kingdom approach has been optimally designed for its target audience. "Here we see the wild homo is his natural habitat, watch as he writes in his notebook while text-messaging his friends. Truly this is a sight to behold. Oh, oh, quiet. I think he has taken notice of our crew. Careful, we don't want to agitate him. Stay tuned for more after a word from our sponsors."

Curiosity does not equate to people changing their political/personal stances on issues, it merely allows those who would be open to such things to do so, AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS ENTIRE TIME. How can this be confusing you? The majority humans live in this state of personal flux, such that with a carefully crafted speech followed up with examples, they can be influenced toward supporting or believing in specific ideas. *cough* global cooling *cough*. Some are more easily drawn to this influence than others, and it is these that I say are the most likely to be changed by an event. Simply because it is difficult to overcome the things you were raised to believe. Weren't raised to see homosexuals as demons? Congrats, you will be more willing to listen to them and process their ideas.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next