* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:45AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rolla .... my semifinal post
PostPosted: Sun 05-03-2009 4:01AM 
post whore
post whore

Source: Off Campus
To quote myself and many before (Chankster comes to mind), your experience at Rolla is what you make it. Surround yourself with friends and have fun. If you're here, you're here. There's nothing wrong with it, you just have to work harder to have fun.

To people considering this school: If you're smart, it doesn't matter where you go. You will learn absorb the same things regardless of where you go (at least for my major, CS). What ends up mattering is your own ambition and motivation. I've put a lot of work into the things I've done here (Student council member, ACM VP & president, so don't get me wrong about this) You're going to run into a whole lot of apathy though. If you care about things and you don't want to work to get others to care, go to another school. Life is too short to carry regrets, so I don't regret my choice to go here - I'm probably going to have a higher starting salary as a result, and I care more about advancing myself... but be warned - for the most part, UMR/MST/MSM trains you to be a cog in the machine. You're on your own to go past that.

And, if you're here for teh wimminz, you're in the wrong place.

Bai bai,
benm

Post subject: Re: Rolla .... my semifinal post
PostPosted: Sun 05-03-2009 9:17AM 
Colonel

benm wrote:
You're going to run into a whole lot of apathy though. If you care about things and you don't want to work to get others to care, go to another school.

A lot of truth there, but I'm going to qft this in particular... The apathy here is infectious. I used to be a member of this and officer of that, but after years of seeing my efforts go to waste, I just don't care anymore. About the only thing that motivates me to go meetings anymore is free food. After six years here, I'm just ready to GTFO.

But all in all, Rolla is definitely not a bad place. As many others have said, it is what you make of it.

PostPosted: Sun 05-03-2009 10:32AM 
Major

Too true, Ben. Congratulations on being one of the best at fighting against the apathetic hordes. You did your best to make it harder for people to simply say "There's nothing to do."

I remember way back in my freshman year I saw a sign up for the "UMR Apathy Club". I didn't realize how true it was.

Also, fun fact for those who haven't met him: Ben looks just like his avatar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 05-03-2009 11:50AM 
Major

Source: RC II
This town isn't too bad once you have a decent lineup of friends here. I used to hate Rolla and would go home every weekend my Freshmen year. This year I've gone home once a month. Thanks for the words of wisdom and best of luck ;)

PostPosted: Sun 05-03-2009 12:34PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
Very good, Ben. One thing to add:

If you don't want to just be a cog in the machine, take initiative. Start outside projects. Get involved in your major. Create something. Learn to use your friends in other majors as resources as well. While Rolla trains you to be a cog, there is a lot of hidden opportunity here to surpass that.

PostPosted: Sun 05-03-2009 9:42PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: Fidelity
Indeed

PostPosted: Mon 05-04-2009 8:45AM 
Colonel

Source: CivilE Building
Although we may not always agree, anyone that truly thinks about themselves and their world has got my respect.
Good luck out there.

Ditto to Berto's.

peace