Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:21PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Collegiate Station
PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 9:09AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
That video was produced a couple months ago for the ECE department to raise money for the expansion. Given that, I would assume there is still a lot of money left to raise. I didn't know the video had gotten posted to YouTube.

PostPosted: Wed 05-13-2009 12:24AM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Source: Off Campus
I had heard that the next building to be redone with university money would be shrenk. It makes sense, it is hella old, hella shitty, hella worse than most other buildings on campus. Now, the EE building could be done completely through their own donations or something. Hot sure how that all works.

PostPosted: Fri 05-29-2009 8:57AM 
Brigadier General

That house right next to Collegiate Station is 600/month + utilities, and can EASILY fit 3 people. I know when I lived there we had our monthly bills down to 325/month for the whole goddamn house with cable, internet, and food. Oh, and if you do work on the house, the landlord pays you for the work + materials, so if you're short on cash, but high on time, it can work out well.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.

PostPosted: Fri 06-05-2009 3:06AM 
Colonel

Okay, since I've been living at Collegiate for about a year and am now getting the hell out, here you go.

The internet is a mixed bag. The wireless sucks, or at least it did last time I used it before bringing my router early in the year. The hard line had a few issues, but were easily fixed: you have to register similarly to UMR's process, but it's actually instantaneous, the problem is that every once in a while it'll randomly make you do that again. It's a 3Mbps line through Eleisure (texas based co-that's where collegiate hq is) and I usually got 86ms pings via speedtest.net. Also, torrents work though you may have to change the port.

The place was built very quickly and although it looks nice, each apartment has a significant number of quirks. Hopefully yours aren't that big of a problem. Our turned out to be massive amounts of red, black, and a bit of green mold around the windows due to the large amount of condensation that formed thanks to the single pane glass and aluminum frames.
The windows were made for texan weather and transfer the cold quite well in the winter, plus when there was significant rain, water literally shot through the middle of the upper and lower parts of one of our living room windows.

The water heater is very small for four people (50gallon I want to say) and even turning it to it's max, the water would turn cold somewhere around the end of the second to the beginning of the third shower in the morning.

The pump in the dishwasher pretty much will go out on you, but they'll fix that. And it isn't the most powerful thing ever-we had to do an odd lattice work of bowls because just putting one in each slot wouldn't work, but that's nothing big.

The alarm isn't even hooked up right. I didn't bother to try, but the wiring isn't even connected to...anything. It's literally useless and was a waste of money on their part.

Now, I know that the last month's electric comes out of the deposit, but we'll have to see how much of the rest I'll actually get back.

Overall, not horrible as long as you hound the management, both local and corporate down in Texas, for any major problems (NOT THE CAs-they have no final say over the things that you'd probably be pissed about and chances are that they're pissed too).
Cheaply built and probably will look like crap within the next few years so if you'd like to try it out, do it sometime soon. It is better than investment as far as maintenance, but also more expensive if you can live off campus.

peace

PostPosted: Wed 02-17-2010 4:26PM 
Sergeant

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Can someone run Speedtest.net at Collegiate? Looks like next year it will only be a few hundred more than TJ for a 4-person room. Any other comments from people at Collegiate this year would be great too

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 02-18-2010 12:25PM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
Just get your own apartment/house.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 4:25PM 
Colonel

Old thread is old?

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 9:02PM 
Major General

calculusninja wrote:
Old thread is old?

relevant and useful bump is relevant and useful.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3