Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 12:21AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Student health ear infection?
PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 5:41AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
Will student health be able to write me a prescription for an ear infection or should I make an actual doctors apt/go to urgent care?

Post subject: Re: Student health ear infection?
PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 7:44AM 
Brigadier General

Go to Student Health first. They can probably give you a prescription right there, or if not, they will refer you to somewhere else with a voucher, so you don't have to pay for it.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 11:15AM 
Captain

student health wrote me one for an ear infection last year no problem. the dr. wasn't in but the person there was able to call and get the ok from someone to write me one.

PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 11:37AM 
Captain

Student Death first. For all the negative energy towards it, its a fine place with really nice people working there. I went in for an ear ache and they took one look at it, told me it was swimmer's ear, gave me meds, and sent me on my merry way. :3

PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 11:46AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
+1 Student Death. Only been there once when I had a poison ivy outbreak and got 'roids the same day no problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 5:52PM 
Lieutenant

That is what I ended up doing. I was there at 8:05am. This shit hurts. Antibiotics ftw.

PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 6:14PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Yeah, they he can write RX for antibiotics. If it is something they have in stock they will also fill it for free. See the doctor between 12-4, the nurses can do it to, but the doctor is better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 6:51AM 
Colonel

Has Student Health improved recently? Based on my past experience, I'm surprised the guy wasn't diagnosed with swine flu and put into quarantine.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 2:47PM 
Major

Source: Sigma Pi
I think people like to bash it a lot more than is necessary.

I've been there a few times, and every time I got a diagnosis by the doctor and left with a free bottle of antibiotics of some sort. The nurses were helpful and knowledgeable (i.e. predicted the doctor's diagnosis based on the symptoms), so I really can't complain.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 3:46PM 
Captain

It used to be horrible and a complete joke. However, I finally decided to give it another shot after not going for a couple years and it doesn't even seem like the same place to me. They actually took care of me instead of blowing me off or having a nurse tell me some complete bullshit

Both times I went this year have had a lot of people waiting but it didn't take more than 30-40 minutes to get in. There's a doctor around much more frequently than in the past which helps a ton. The guy I saw was pretty cool. Real down to earth and got straight to it

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 4:50PM 
Major General

Cylord wrote:
I think people like to bash it a lot more than is necessary.

I've been there a few times, and every time I got a diagnosis by the doctor and left with a free bottle of antibiotics of some sort. The nurses were helpful and knowledgeable (i.e. predicted the doctor's diagnosis based on the symptoms), so I really can't complain.

Ditto. I don't think I'd go there for any major ailments, but for the basic minor stuff, they're great. And free. Can't complain about that.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 4:52PM 
awesome yet humble

I've been a couple of times and they were always helpful and seemed to know their stuff.

On one occasion a female friend of mine went in with a sharp pain in her stomach region. The doc there said it was most likely an ovarian cyst. Not really trusting the doc there, she went to the hospital. They said she was just constipated. Thinking that the trip to the ER was a complete waste of time, she went to her own doctor in columbia. Turns out it was a cyst after all and it had burst.

The moral of the story: Student Health doctors/nurses aren't as bad as everyone says they are.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 5:13PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

I've been plagued with infections this year for some reason (mostly feeling it in the lymph nodes in my neck area) and the only bad experience I've had with them was when I went in and the nurse told me it was probably just an allergic reaction (the only allergies I have are spring allergies and I've had them long enough to know what's what when it comes to them). She told me it'd probably just be wasting the doctor's time to see him but I insisted on seeing the doctor and had antibiotics and was on my way in less than half an hour.

So it wasn't even THAT bad of an experience, and it was the only less-than-stellar one in the dozen or so times I've gone this year.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 7:05PM 
Major General

el_lorenzo wrote:
I've been a couple of times and they were always helpful and seemed to know their stuff.

On one occasion a female friend of mine went in with a sharp pain in her stomach region. The doc there said it was most likely an ovarian cyst. Not really trusting the doc there, she went to the hospital. They said she was just constipated. Thinking that the trip to the ER was a complete waste of time, she went to her own doctor in columbia. Turns out it was a cyst after all and it had burst.

The moral of the story: Student Health doctors/nurses aren't as bad as everyone says they are.

Constipation? I don't have ovaries so I don't know what an ovarian cyst feels like, but I can easily tell the difference between having to take a shit really bad and any other sort of cramp I've ever had in my abdomen.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 11:05PM 
Major General

considering vagina and rectum share a wall, and the ovary sits on top uterus, which is on top of vagina.. and to be constipated you've probably got a decent amount of shit in your rectum, backing up into your colon...

basically I'm pretty sure the pain could be coming from the same few cubic centimeters..

Regardless the best (local) option would probably been to see the gynecologist @ student health. ER's aren't going to be great at diagnosing complicated problems. It's kinda like going to McDonalds for a steak, sure they serve beef, but just because it's beef doesn't mean it's steak.