Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:53PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DTV Transition and Rolla
PostPosted: Thu 06-11-2009 4:21PM 
Sergeant

Source: Off Campus
With all tv broadcast going digital tomorrow I am wondering if anyone here in Rolla has had any luck with a DTV converter box and any sort of antenna, being just rabbit ears or some nicer amplified one. Currently I just get analog NBC (chhnl 7) and I don't even need to use any sort of antenna. I don't know if this will still pickup with just the converter or if it will need an antenna also or if we are just out of luck here for picking up the digital signal. If anyone has any experience with this lemme know. thanks.

Post subject: Re: DTV Transition and Rolla
PostPosted: Thu 06-11-2009 4:49PM 
Major General

http://www.dtv.gov/stationlist.htm?l=EN&zipCode=65401

PostPosted: Thu 06-11-2009 4:52PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
If it's further than Jefferson City I doubt you will be able to get a digital signal without an antenna of some sort. Hell, most of the antennas I saw on a quick Google search only claimed to have an 80 mile range at most. From what I've seen an old antenna will work with the digital signal, but it looks like there are certain designs of antenna that will work better than others. They still operate on the VHF/UHF bands though. And from what little I understand about the digital signal, there's no adjusting the antenna like you could do with rabbit ears, aside from pointing the antenna at the signal. Either you pick up the signal or you don't. You either get a blue/black screen of nothing or a crystal clear picture. There won't be any in-between anymore...

PostPosted: Thu 06-11-2009 11:01PM 
Brigadier General

I tried setting up my friend's TV and it didn't look good for Rolla. I used big rabbit ears that brought in analog 7 from KOMU. Granted it was pretty fuzzy, but still came in. There was 0 digital signal with the antenna. I thought a bigger antenna would do it and I found some website that showed signal strength of stations in Rolla and probability of making it to Rolla. None of them were likely to make it to Rolla since they use lower powers than analog signals. You could try a roof mounted antenna but I suspect that Rolla will probably have a few more cable subscribers soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 06-12-2009 11:47PM 
Sergeant

OK, so Digital I can get some Christian station out of Jefferson City. I have also been able to get KOMU's signal twice, but immediately lost it. The fact I can get it though I will be buying a new, better antennae.

KOMU offers NBC (for me) and the CW (for the lady). Despite losing reception, who else is unwilling to PAY for something they can watch on the internet for less money and fewer commercials???

On analog, I only received KOMU Ch 8 (well 7, always wondered about that). Then again I live in a ditch along Forum Dr.

GO PENGUINS!!!!

PostPosted: Sun 06-14-2009 8:21PM 
Sergeant

Attack! Rat wrote:
I have also been able to get KOMU's signal twice, but immediately lost it. The fact I can get it though I will be buying a new, better antennae.

can you post back results once you get the newer antenna? oddly enough, KOMU 7 is still broadcasting their analog signal as of sunday night, but who knows how much longer that will be. their analog signal is pretty strong here so im hoping the digital one will work.

PostPosted: Mon 06-15-2009 9:05AM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Wilson Library
For what it's worth I've been able to pick up KOMU pretty consistently for the past few days without any antenae or rabbit ears or any sort of receptive device. I don't even have the cable plugged in. Mind you, it's a bit snowy, but a signal's a signal as far as I'm concerned.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Mon 06-15-2009 9:55AM 
Brigadier General

Is that analog or digital. I'm thinking that since you don't have the cable plugged in, then you aren't using a box and are getting the analog signal which will probably get cut off in a few weeks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 06-15-2009 12:26PM 
Lieutenant

Source: CompSci Building
The transition was Friday, yo.

PostPosted: Mon 06-15-2009 12:41PM 
Brigadier General

I heard that some stations are still leaving on a nightlight for a few days or a few weeks for those people that just didn't get the message after a straight year of non-stop advertising for it. Then again, the government acts like TV is a necessity to function and everyone must be ready for the change. Like OMG, how did we ever function in the days when there was no TV?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 06-15-2009 4:43PM 
Major General

Agentzak wrote:
I heard that some stations are still leaving on a nightlight for a few days or a few weeks for those people that just didn't get the message after a straight year of non-stop advertising for it. Then again, the government acts like TV is a necessity to function and everyone must be ready for the change. Like OMG, how did we ever function in the days when there was no TV?

If you weren't ready by now, you'll never be ready. That's why the delay pissed me off. The same people who weren't ready in February weren't ready in June, and they wouldn't be ready if it was delayed by 5 years. Some people just won't get the hint until they turn the TV on and see nothing.

PostPosted: Tue 06-16-2009 9:11AM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Wilson Library
devil wrote:
If you weren't ready by now, you'll never be ready. That's why the delay pissed me off. The same people who weren't ready in February weren't ready in June, and they wouldn't be ready if it was delayed by 5 years. Some people just won't get the hint until they turn the TV on and see nothing.

^This. There are always going to be idiots who don't get the message, even after it's blatantly thrown in their face for years. I figure if they don't get the proper equipment after all these warnings, they don't deserve to have tv. I know that sounds a bit silly, but come on people, it's ok to make an effort on some things.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Tue 06-16-2009 10:25PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

The KOMU channel 7 is an analog repeater based here in Rolla that repeats the feed from Columbia.

It is my understanding that the FCC only required stations broadcasting above a certain threshold power rating to switch to digital, as I have heard mention of low-power analog stations being allowed to stay on the air. My thinking is that since Channel 7 is a repeater it's below the no-transmit threshold, and therefore isn't required to terminate transmission. Which is good, as it would be the only way we'd get any TV over the air here.

PostPosted: Wed 06-17-2009 9:31PM 
Sergeant

bagvwf wrote:
My thinking is that since Channel 7 is a repeater it's below the no-transmit threshold, and therefore isn't required to terminate transmission. Which is good, as it would be the only way we'd get any TV over the air here.

I wish this were true, but I don't think that the transition is about terminating the analog signal as much as converting to digital. For the last several months many stations have been broadcasting both: the digital because they could and the analog because they were required to (until last Friday). A lot of the networks got pissed when the transition date got moved back because it costs them an enormous amount of money (in power) to broadcast the analog signal. Now that they no longer are required I can't see why 7 could continue this..

PostPosted: Wed 06-17-2009 9:54PM 
Drowning

Source: University PD
because it extends their user base to rolla, more viewers = more money. The police department gets some money from them to make sure that their signal is being received here. We just have a small TV with an antenna in the station that is always on that channel.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail