Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:23PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cost to fix a speeding ticket in Rolla.
PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 11:29AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
I was just curious if anyone has received a city speeding ticket in Rolla and had it fixed and what it cost. I've had tickets fixed in Waynesville (pulaski county) and Licking (texas county) but they were state tickets which usually cost more to fix. I think they were somewhere around $275 for the fix to a non-moving violation.

I'm just curious if the city speeding ticket in Rolla I recieved for 10 over is any different in cost than the state tickets I've received for the same speed.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Cost to fix a speeding ticket in Rolla.
PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 2:28PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Try just contacting the prosecuting attorney's office. Explain the situation - give an honest reason as to why it happened, explain that you were totally in the wrong (and are very sorry for it), and then ask if they would consider dropping the ticket from your record.

also: lifehacker has a fairly good articleon this

PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 5:52PM 
Major General

RebelExtrm02 wrote:
I was just curious if anyone has received a city speeding ticket in Rolla and had it fixed and what it cost. I've had tickets fixed in Waynesville (pulaski county) and Licking (texas county) but they were state tickets which usually cost more to fix. I think they were somewhere around $275 for the fix to a non-moving violation.

I'm just curious if the city speeding ticket in Rolla I recieved for 10 over is any different in cost than the state tickets I've received for the same speed.

Thanks.

Is that $275 including lawyer fees or $275 plus lawyer fees or did you manage to do it without a lawyer?

Just wondering because I recently paid $80 in lawyer fees plus a $177 fine to Chesterfield (St. Louis suburb) to fix a 15 over, I'm curious to see how well I did compared to others. Expensive, especially considering that the cost of the ticket would've only been $85 if I just paid it, but since November I've had another speeding ticket (which I paid) and an at fault accident and didn't need my insurance going any higher. No, I'm not a bad driver, I swear, just a string of shitty luck!

PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 6:48PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I got a speeding ticket for being 24 over in Warren County (obvioulsy i was going even faster then that but the cop didn't want to take me to jail I guess).

To pay the ticket outright was 315 bucks, i got a lawyer in St Charles to take it (my brother knows him) and ended up paying $75 in lawyer fees and another $15 in court costs and that was it.

So... pay $315 and have it on my record or pay $95 and have a bumper violation.

Hell i would have done a driver safety course but they didn't even ask me for it. Go figure.

Moral of the story is Warren county has some nice cops and an even nicer speedway!

PostPosted: Wed 07-01-2009 3:24AM 
bertowned
bertowned

. . .

I paid $24.50 to Chesterfield using the method I described. The $24.50 was court costs - for the court's time. The ticket (for 50 in a 40) went away, and didn't appear on my record. I think I had a couple months "probation" aka "don't get a ticket because it won't disappear this time", but no driver safety course.

Does nobody try the method I suggested before paying for a lawyer? Not that it's guaranteed to work, but if it does you save a couple hundred on legal fees. If not you're just right back where you started - needing a lawyer to make a speeding ticket go away.

PostPosted: Wed 07-01-2009 12:55PM 
Major General

I'll have to try that next time. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but knowing me there will be a next time.

On a related point, does anyone know if you get a ticket in Canada, do they report it to Missouri? I'm driving to Toronto in a few weeks and may try to get there a bit faster once crossing the border if MO and my insurance company won't find out.

PostPosted: Wed 07-01-2009 2:25PM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

I got caught going 12 over in a construction zone with workers present on 63 (i was coming out of the zone, there were no orange barrels or people around, and i was accelerating to be up to speed of the non construction zone).

It was a 300 dollar fine, but i was able to get it moved to a 275 dollar fine through some awesomeness.

PostPosted: Wed 07-01-2009 10:22PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

devil wrote:
I'll have to try that next time. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but knowing me there will be a next time.

On a related point, does anyone know if you get a ticket in Canada, do they report it to Missouri? I'm driving to Toronto in a few weeks and may try to get there a bit faster once crossing the border if MO and my insurance company won't find out.

Don't do it. You'll be a foreign national committing a crime. Your stateside car insurance will be the least of your worries.

PostPosted: Thu 07-02-2009 1:47AM 
Colonel

amd2800barton wrote:
(50 in a 40)

:roll:

I'm sorry man. That's redonk.

PostPosted: Fri 07-03-2009 12:21AM 
bertowned
bertowned

calculusninja wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:
(50 in a 40)

:roll:

I'm sorry man. That's redonk.

That was the police officer being nice. I was going ~70, and hit the brakes when i saw his car. He clocked me at 18 over.

PostPosted: Sun 07-26-2009 8:29PM 
Lieutenant

devil wrote:
RebelExtrm02 wrote:

Thanks.

Is that $275 including lawyer fees or $275 plus lawyer fees or did you manage to do it without a lawyer?

Just wondering because I recently paid $80 in lawyer fees plus a $177 fine to Chesterfield (St. Louis suburb) to fix a 15 over, I'm curious to see how well I did compared to others. Expensive, especially considering that the cost of the ticket would've only been $85 if I just paid it, but since November I've had another speeding ticket (which I paid) and an at fault accident and didn't need my insurance going any higher. No, I'm not a bad driver, I swear, just a string of shitty luck!

Sorry for the hiatus, I was busy. That was without a lawyer. It was actually $270 (recently found the receipt going through some financial papers), which included the fine plus circuit court costs and tax. My first ticket in Pulaski I had to get a lawyer because the prosecuting attorney wouldn't talk to me without one (stuck up *%$!#). When I received my second in Texas county I just went to my court date after pleading innocent and made a deal with the prosecuting attorney by myself when he called to talk to traffic before the hearings started. It was the same deal/fine as before in pulaski, something about a muffler or whatnot.

The way I see it, it is dumb to not try talking to the prosecuting attorney before getting a lawyer. If they refuse, you can just ask for a continuance while you seek proper legal council. Then you can get your lawyer and come back.

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 1:32PM 
Lieutenant

Had court yesterday. The prosecuting attorney dropped it to a non point non moving violation with a fine of $200.

Got another municipal ticket in St. Roberts today. lol There goes another $200+.

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 4:44PM 
Major General

RebelExtrm02 wrote:
Got another municipal ticket in St. Roberts today. lol There goes another $200+.

Slow the fuck down! :D

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 6:47PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

devil wrote:
RebelExtrm02 wrote:

Slow the fuck down! :D

Either that, or speed smarter. Know where to speed and where to slow down. Here are some examples:

In Rolla, Police rarely patrol the non-numbered highways between Walmart and 10th St. While it is a residential area, and you'd be a pretty big douche for doing it, it is relatively safe to do around 50 through there. Just be aware of stop signs and pedestrians, and keep in mind that if you are the one speeding, you are the bigger d-bag, so don't get pissed off if someone cuts you off, or is just going slower than you on a 2-lane street.
RULE 1: Avoid speeding on main throughways

On interstates, enforcement can be difficult, but is usually done from certain vantage points. Namely, sitting on on/off ramps OR THE CENTER OF BRIDGES and clocking only one side of the highway. Less common but still exploited is sitting in the emergency turn-arounds and hiding inside blind turns (See I-44 between exits 186 and 189). Speeding is easily possible on straightaways where exits are few and emergency crossings are empty. Just slow down to less than 10 over for the exits, and less than 5 over around blind turns and suspicious parked vehicles.
RULE 2: Be aware of potential hiding places

At night, be aware of headlight patterns. Common police cars can be easily identified once you get an idea of what to look for. Police cars will NEVER use fog lights, since they are technically illegal for on-road use. Some less-common police vehicles like the campus's Dodge Intrepids and trucks are harder to identify, but they still possess the giveaway antennae on the trunk space or back of the cab. (maybe not the university cops, but HiPo and LoPo always).
RULE 3: Pay attention to suspicious vehicle identifiers

As a more general rule, never go more than 9 over the posted speed limit. You cross the line and make yourself a more profitable target when you do. Not only that, but in areas where the speed limit is a multiple of 10, the visible difference in numbers is only slight when looking at 70 compared to 79, especially on a digital display. However, the difference between 70 and 82 is much more noticeable and is likely to attract more attention. In areas with a posted limit as a multiple of 5, it can be a bit more difficult to guess. Absolute safety is doing no more than 5 over, but since the visible difference between 5 over and 14 over the posted speed limit isn't that significant visually, it largely depends on how much attention the particular officer is paying to the readout.
RULE 4: Stay within 10 MPH of the posted speed limit

Should you find yourself presented with the unique opportunity to join a speed train, NEVER LEAD, and NEVER TRAIL. If at all possible, stay in the middle, but don't stand out and keep a lookout. If you notice the cop 2 seconds before the first guy, then you have time to make him look faster than you and lose the heat. Even in a speed train, never exceed 15 over the speed limit. Avoid passing other cars at a speed more than 10MPH over their speed, that WILL attract attention.
RULE 5: Don't look like you are the fastest car on the highway

Respect others, especially non-drivers. You'll be one when you get to wherever you are in such a hurry to be. NEVER speed in work zones. The added $250 to any ticket makes even 5 MPH over not worth it. Workers in these areas have radios, and police are usually waiting at the ends of these zones to catch anyone breaking rules.
RULE 6: Don't speed in work zones, EVER

If you are too tired to do all this work, or are too distracted to maintain the heightened level of awareness of your surroundings in order to effectively speed, then don't. You'll screw up just enough to attract a little too much attention and then you're busted. Speeding effectively takes a lot of work, and unless you are willing to commit to it, and can afford the ticket if you are busted (~$108 HiPo for up to 15 over), just don't.
RULE 7: Don't speed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 7:46PM 
Drowning

Or just have a built in cop-dar like me. I made what is normally a 10.5 hour trip from detroit to rolla in just under 9.5

I averaged 80mph and saw at least 6 cops on the entire trip. All I do when I speed is pay attention to the cars in front of me, the cars I have passed (to reference to the cars in my rear view mirror) and watching the opposite side of the highway and where the emergency turnarounds are. Sometimes when you are going 95mph passing a slow semi and there is a cop on the other side of the highway, he dosent need to clock you to know you are speeding. Get off at the exit stretch your legs and hop back on. Being observant saves you the most money.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail