Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:31PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Cost to fix a speeding ticket in Rolla.
PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 10:19PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Yeah, smart speeding is what I used. In the 4 years of going back and forth between Rolla and STL nearly every weekend, I always was doing about 10 over and never got a ticket (within 11 months of moving back to STL for good, I got two tickets so I stopped speeding smartly I suppose).

Also, don't just learn where the speed traps are, learn when they're patrolling. From what I have seen, mornings and nights on weekends are when the speed traps are most frequently up, because drivers think "Oh, there's no one else out on the road, it won't hurt anything if I speed a little bit." There's not going to be a speed trap if there's some decent traffic out there and you can't really speed (this may apply only to cities, there's never rush hour traffic on 44 in the middle of nowhere). This is what fucked me up for my first ticket. It was at around 8:30 AM on a Saturday morning, and I was on highway 40 in west St. Louis County and was one of few cars on the highway, so I was cruising along in the left lane doing 80. Little did I know that the cops were running a speed trap with a couple cops shooting laser off an overpass radioing down to patrol cars hiding near the on-ramps.

Second, radar detectors are a great investment. Mine has paid for itself several times by now. But just because your radar detector is quiet, doesn't mean there aren't any cops. They give a false sense of security, and that was my other fuck up both times. The first ticket, it didn't even go off. The second time, at another speed trap, it went off with a laser alert, but it was too late. With laser, by the time the detector goes off, they have your speed. A radar detector will prevent a lot of tickets, but never expect it to alert you 100% of the time, especially now that more departments are using laser, because frankly, the only thing laser detection is good for is letting you know when you're near an airport. One downside to having a radar detector is that I hear from people who know cops, that one is much less likely to let you off with just a warning because they assume you speed often and deserve it. If you don't have one, you may be able to be polite enough to the cop that you just get a warning, but if you have one, you're probably getting a ticket. This is anecdotal though, YMMV.

And if you're driving a manual transmission or an auto with a manual shift mode and see a cop hiding out, I strongly recommend downshifting a couple gears instead of braking to slow down. Brake lights on a highway are a good indication that you're speeding.

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 11:36PM 
Major General

ShadowCat38 wrote:
[
Respect others, especially non-drivers. You'll be one when you get to wherever you are in such a hurry to be. NEVER speed in work zones. The added $250 to any ticket makes even 5 MPH over not worth it. Workers in these areas have radios, and police are usually waiting at the ends of these zones to catch anyone breaking rules.
RULE 6: Don't speed in work zones, EVER

I'd make an exception to this rule, that don't speed in work zones where you have actual work going on or there's cones around. I'm still going to speed when I see a sign "Work Zone for next 27 miles" MO seems a little stupid about this. If I see something starting to resemble an actual work zone, I'll drop my speed.

Something else I would add to this is watch when you speed. Watch it especially on holidays or weekends. Cops seem to be more heavy on Fridays heading back home than coming back to Rolla on Sundays.

PostPosted: Fri 08-07-2009 12:26AM 
bertowned
bertowned

blitzvergnugen wrote:
Something else I would add to this is watch when you speed. Watch it especially on holidays or weekends. Cops seem to be more heavy on Fridays heading back home than coming back to Rolla on Sundays.

Or if you're in a city (or 'burb) don't speed at certain times of day. Cops are always giving speeding tickets between 4:00pm and 7:30pm (especially on major roads) on weekdays. Speeding at night also seems like a bad idea - its harder to see which cars are police, and they seem to be more likely to give a ticket than a warning. I assume they also ticket heavily during morning hours, but I don't think I'm even awake before 10.

PostPosted: Mon 08-10-2009 2:37PM 
Colonel

devil wrote:
Second, radar detectors are a great investment. Mine has paid for itself several times by now. But just because your radar detector is quiet, doesn't mean there aren't any cops. They give a false sense of security, and that was my other fuck up both times. The first ticket, it didn't even go off. The second time, at another speed trap, it went off with a laser alert, but it was too late. With laser, by the time the detector goes off, they have your speed. A radar detector will prevent a lot of tickets, but never expect it to alert you 100% of the time, especially now that more departments are using laser, because frankly, the only thing laser detection is good for is letting you know when you're near an airport. One downside to having a radar detector is that I hear from people who know cops, that one is much less likely to let you off with just a warning because they assume you speed often and deserve it. If you don't have one, you may be able to be polite enough to the cop that you just get a warning, but if you have one, you're probably getting a ticket. This is anecdotal though, YMMV.

I'd say that was a paragraph about why NOT to get a radar detector!

PostPosted: Mon 08-10-2009 4:30PM 
Major General

Patrick wrote:
devil wrote:

I'd say that was a paragraph about why NOT to get a radar detector!

Oh, no, not at all. Mine has saved me many times, I'm just saying don't expect it to save you all the time.

PostPosted: Wed 08-19-2009 10:37AM 
Lieutenant

Well I just got my letter back from the prosecuting attorney. I wrote him asking for an alternative punishment to save my record. He agreed to drop it to defective equipment with fine of $100 all said and done. Not bad. :D

PostPosted: Wed 08-19-2009 11:29PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
BTW, if you are going to speed on a regular basis, NEVER get a CDL. You WILL NOT get warnings with a CDL, and most attorneys won't want to represent you, even if you were driving a personal vehicle.

Speaking from experience

Profile E-mail