Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:36PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Can't use points at Domino's, Papa Johns, etc
PostPosted: Wed 08-05-2009 12:21PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
According to the guys at domino's, chartwell's gotten rid of the ability to use points for anything other than chartwells.

From what they said, a little while ago a new head of chartwells came to be and shortly after, he realized that domino's was making close to double that of any other pizza place in town. So they said that they wanted a larger cut...30% off the top of their profits. In response, domino's told them to go fuck themselves. And somehow, now we're here.

They sent out letters to all the businesses that you could use points at, but that's about all. They don't want anyone else knowing including their own employees that still go into domino's wanting to use their points.

I'm not sure if this is actually true for all the places that use to use points, but it definitely is for domino's.
This doesn't effect me in the slightest, but I'm sure every single person in TJ will want to riot chartwell's doors and for that, I've got plenty of torches and pitchforks. Damn bastards need to learn to actually do something that's good for the students for once.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go use the seek deal.

Post subject: Re: Can't use points at Domino's, Papa Johns, etc
PostPosted: Wed 08-05-2009 1:59PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

A non-loss. Last time I did pizza on points it came to $43 for two pies and a 2L. And that's been a few years.

PostPosted: Wed 08-05-2009 5:31PM 
Major General

As long as you have to pay cash now for pizza, might as well go to Alex's. Better pizza, and not that much more expensive. Well worth the extra cost.

PostPosted: Wed 08-05-2009 5:33PM 
Major

devil wrote:
As long as you have to pay cash now for pizza, might as well go to Papa Johns. Better pizza, and not that much more expensive. Well worth the extra cost.

fixed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 08-05-2009 6:22PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
Personally, I've always thought that UMR should force the university food-services to play the greed game against themselves. If the university controlled the allocation of cash for meal plans to the respective foodservice (Chartwell, and whoever else) based on a "point count" spent at that particular cafeteria, then each food service would need to provide the best bang for the buck in order to win over a larger share of student credits. Basically, the University makes its own private currency, the students pay real cash for a balance of this private currency which is only good at university cafeterias, and if possible, other restaurants around town. These other places and cafeterias then exchange to the University their private currency for real money. Miniature Capitalism for the win, unless both companies go crazy and run each other bankrupt, or unless they pull the same stunt oil markets have and control prices together.

Meh, It might work...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 9:11AM 
Drowning

Here is how it worked to live in the dorms over the summer. Im still wondering how this is not illegal.

You pay X amount of money for a meal plan. You get Y amount of "points" which for some reason is less than X. The food you buy with the points is more expensive than if you had gone to fast food, and at a much lower quality. When you have left over points at the end, you are not refunded, they let you order soda through them, at regular per bottle price, not case price. So for $500 they give you $450 worth of points, and serve you food that cost them all of $200. All so that you can pay them to hire ex convicts.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 9:59AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Ah, but their extra $50 vig is like a "service fee". Much like an airline. If you had to itemize it it would read something like:

$18 hotplate buildup fee
$4 clean tray surcharge
$3 student apathy fee
$6 food delivery fuel surcharge
$4 to offset currency conversion costs
etc. etc....

The only way around it is commuter points. $300 gets you 330 points.

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 4:48PM 
Major General

bagvwf wrote:
Ah, but their extra $50 vig is like a "service fee". Much like an airline. If you had to itemize it it would read something like:

$18 hotplate buildup fee
$4 clean tray surcharge
$3 student apathy fee
$6 food delivery fuel surcharge
$4 to offset currency conversion costs
etc. etc....

The only way around it is commuter points. $300 gets you 330 points.

It almost seems like the system would be slightly more honest if $500 got you 500 points and the cost of each item was increased accordingly. It would still be highway robbery, but at least on the surface it wouldn't be so obvious that they're screwing you over.

As for how is it not illegal, it really wouldn't surprise me if it is.

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 7:50PM 
Drowning

Or there is fidelity.....

I went to go close my account this past may. It was the middle of the month, but they told me to pay the same amount and they would pro-rate it and send me a check to my forwarding address. Since I was there this summer, I stopped in and said I had not received a check yet. She responds that sometimes it takes a couple months to mail a check. First of all, fuck that, any company that needs 2 months to send a $30 check is not a good one. Second of all, it had been 2 months. She said that she would make sure the check got issued. I received the check 2 weeks later.

Obviously they are counting on people not asking for their money back, how can a company clean up its books to include money that is not legally theirs? Fucking small town monopolies, and its dumb citizens that dont know the difference.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-06-2009 10:29PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:
Or there is fidelity.....

I went to go close my account this past may. It was the middle of the month, but they told me to pay the same amount and they would pro-rate it and send me a check to my forwarding address. Since I was there this summer, I stopped in and said I had not received a check yet. She responds that sometimes it takes a couple months to mail a check. First of all, fuck that, any company that needs 2 months to send a $30 check is not a good one. Second of all, it had been 2 months. She said that she would make sure the check got issued. I received the check 2 weeks later.

Obviously they are counting on people not asking for their money back, how can a company clean up its books to include money that is not legally theirs? Fucking small town monopolies, and its dumb citizens that dont know the difference.

When we switched to U-Verse and canceled Charter in the middle of a billing period, they did the same thing. It took around 8 weeks to get a refund check which was also only about 30 bucks. You'd think their entire billing system would be automated so when you cancel and get a credit, it would mail out a check 2 or 3 days later at a maximum. This isn't the pre-computer era where someone in the billing department would have to write a check out by hand, then I could understand a wait. Frankly, I'd even be willing to let them wait until the end of the billing cycle (up to 4 weeks) to mail out the check just in case you reconnect service.

The only reason they do it is so they can hold your money in a bank account for a little while longer and collect interest before mailing it out to you. I agree, I don't see how it can be legal, especially in the case of publicly traded companies when they tell shareholders they have $X dollars in the bank when some of that really isn't theirs.

PostPosted: Fri 08-07-2009 1:08AM 
bertowned
bertowned

devil wrote:
When we switched to U-Verse and canceled Charter in the middle of a billing period, they did the same thing. It took around 8 weeks to get a refund check which was also only about 30 bucks. You'd think their entire billing system would be automated so when you cancel and get a credit, it would mail out a check 2 or 3 days later at a maximum. This isn't the pre-computer era where someone in the billing department would have to write a check out by hand, then I could understand a wait. Frankly, I'd even be willing to let them wait until the end of the billing cycle (up to 4 weeks) to mail out the check just in case you reconnect service.

The only reason they do it is so they can hold your money in a bank account for a little while longer and collect interest before mailing it out to you. I agree, I don't see how it can be legal, especially in the case of publicly traded companies when they tell shareholders they have $X dollars in the bank when some of that really isn't theirs.

Charter is infamous for their horrible billing practices. The BBB has nothing but negative things to say about Charter. We once had someone from charter show up at our house trying to collect on an "unpaid bill" for a bill that hadn't even arrived yet (much yet was past due). One of the many reasons we switched (to U-verse). Of course the fact that the signal quality was so horrible that over-the-air television looked better than Charter Cable (I'm not shitting you) may have had something to do with it. Charter assholes claimed that whoever wired our house with coax (them) did a bad job, and that the signal strength to our house was fine, but when we got U-verse installed, the installer said (and our current picture proves) that the wiring in our house is fine.

Charter is absolute shit - both in service and accounting. Its absolutely no surprise that they're in Chapter 11. They deserve bankrupt - they treat their customers like shit, and then try and bill them for an ass-fuck.

PostPosted: Fri 08-07-2009 5:49AM 
Major General

amd2800barton wrote:
devil wrote:

Charter is infamous for their horrible billing practices. The BBB has nothing but negative things to say about Charter. We once had someone from charter show up at our house trying to collect on an "unpaid bill" for a bill that hadn't even arrived yet (much yet was past due). One of the many reasons we switched (to U-verse). Of course the fact that the signal quality was so horrible that over-the-air television looked better than Charter Cable (I'm not shitting you) may have had something to do with it. Charter assholes claimed that whoever wired our house with coax (them) did a bad job, and that the signal strength to our house was fine, but when we got U-verse installed, the installer said (and our current picture proves) that the wiring in our house is fine.

Charter is absolute shit - both in service and accounting. Its absolutely no surprise that they're in Chapter 11. They deserve bankrupt - they treat their customers like shit, and then try and bill them for an ass-fuck.

The wiring somewhere in our neighborhood is so bad that when it gets cold enough outside, the cable internet (not TV which is weird), goes out completely. Charter refused to acknowledge it was their problem even though the entire neighborhood called in to complain on numerous occasions, apparently we all happen to have bad wiring in the house.