Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:28PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How far off campus does wireless go?
PostPosted: Mon 08-17-2009 4:34PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
I'm staying at an apartment near campus. Can I leech internet?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rolla+mo&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.123021,93.076172&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.954986,-91.769786&spn=0.001315,0.00284&z=19&layer=c&cbll=37.954782,-91.769511&panoid=Qvlp-3J-QdNFQraI-9OjDw&cbp=12,294.23,,0,-2.56

http://www.inv-rel.com/inc/pmisc?pid=259

If not, should I contact Fidelity to get it set up or try another company? How long does it take to get it all installed and working?

Post subject: Re: How far off campus does wireless go?
PostPosted: Mon 08-17-2009 4:53PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: Fidelity
I haven't tried it, but I would say 99.99% chance it doesn't reach that far.

Fidnet isn't bad, their prices are ridiculous but you actually get your paid for speeds now. And if you complain enough you can get free time if their net screws up.

Just so you know they get crazy backed up around this time trying to get everybody's stuff installed. I was told last year a person had to wait a week before they came and installed stuff after they called.

PostPosted: Mon 08-17-2009 4:54PM 
Major General

Definitely way too far out. I lived on 1st street, just a couple blocks north of you, and couldn't pick it up.

PostPosted: Mon 08-17-2009 6:48PM 
Major

Make a cantenna...haha

PostPosted: Mon 08-17-2009 9:21PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

I get spotty signal of MST_Campus waaaaay down 12th Street by the Centre. SSID only, never did get any packets sent over that connection.

It's possible depending on your line of sight and antenna gain.

PostPosted: Mon 08-17-2009 10:11PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Hahahahahahahaha.

Sorry, I hate those apartments. Fucking Investment.

Have you tried Embarq? I've generally found they try to fuck you over less.

PostPosted: Tue 08-18-2009 2:14AM 
bertowned
bertowned

ben laden wrote:
Have you tried Embarq? I've generally found they try to fuck you over less.

+1 to Embarq, but I don't think they're available in that area, unfortunately.

Also - I don't think you'll get campus wifi in that area. If lorenzo is around - he might know better, he lived nearby, but I never got wifi on my iTouch when I was in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue 08-18-2009 10:10PM 
awesome yet humble

amd2800barton wrote:
Also - I don't think you'll get campus wifi in that area. If lorenzo is around - he might know better, he lived nearby, but I never got wifi on my iTouch when I was in the neighborhood.

I wasn't able to pick up campus wifi, but I was on the other side of the street from that complex, so I was a bit farther. Also, I didn't have the advantage of an antenne

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Wed 08-19-2009 10:44AM 
Colonel

I live in that building now, and you can't pick up anything but a few secured routers in the building. If you have a line-of-sight to Civil you might be able to use a cantenna

PostPosted: Thu 08-20-2009 7:09PM 
Major

Patrick wrote:
I live in that building now, and you can't pick up anything but a few secured routers in the building. If you have a line-of-sight to Civil you might be able to use a cantenna

Are you using Fidelity? How's the parking?

PostPosted: Thu 08-20-2009 9:13PM 
Colonel

Goran wrote:
Are you using Fidelity? How's the parking?

I get by using my T-Mobile cell phone as a modem for internet. It's aggravatingly slow, but I'm also aggravatingly cheap. If I need anything faster the campus is a 60 second walk away. Several residents have Fidelity installed though, so getting it is not a problem.

There is not enough assigned parking for everyone in the building to have a spot. As long as you get a spot and leave your vehicle there during the day it usually works out alright. Just make sure you don't park in the tantalizing spot in front of the mailboxes because you'll get a ticket and/or towed out of it.

There's a lot not to like about these apartments, but they're a fixed rate with utilities included. To anyone living on a fixed income or off of student loans this is priceless. There's a little community kitchen on the bottom floor behind the laundry room that I don't plan on ever using. Commuter points, er sorry "minerbucks," paid for by scholarships are good enough for me. I wouldn't recommend using the laundry room either. The washer and dryer "work" but they've been driven into the ground. A short hike up Pine St to the laundromat under the Mobil station and you'll find much nicer facilities for about the same amount of quarters.

PostPosted: Thu 08-20-2009 9:26PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

I hope you realize how close to the innermost circle of hell you are by signing a contract with Investment Realty. I could rant, but there are so many already here that it really wouldn't introduce anything new. Just be aware that even most self-respecting townies (Ages 27-43, because the older fogies that rent out houses through IR really don't give a damn) that I know refuse to do business with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-20-2009 11:16PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

ShadowCat38 wrote:
I hope you realize how close to the innermost circle of hell you are by signing a contract with Investment Realty. I could rant, but there are so many already here that it really wouldn't introduce anything new. Just be aware that even most self-respecting townies (Ages 27-43, because the older fogies that rent out houses through IR really don't give a damn) that I know refuse to do business with them.

I'm not defending IR by any means, as I never have and never will rent through them, but YOU have to realize that for every shitty story about how IR fucked someone over, there's another story about how they were a perfectly standard renting experience. I recall from your previous threads/posts that you had an absolute nightmare of an experience with them, but for the most part the worst I hear about them is that they'll keep a significant portion of your deposit. While this sucks, I find it to be a not-uncommon practice, as it's happened to me through Misty Monterozza (or something like that) when she decided they had to install a new screen door because the screen was punched out (it was like that when we moved in) and mop the floors for a few hundred dollars (the old punched out screen door remained there for at least the next year, btw).

Point: you have to expect the real estate agents are fucking assholes? I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri 08-21-2009 9:53PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Maybe I am getting a biased feedback, but every single person I have asked about IR, with maybe exceptions totalling a number I can reach with no more than one hand, has had nothing positive to say. At best, they were only mildly ripped off at the end with BS reasons to keep the deposit. At worst, their lives and credit reports were scarred and stuff was stolen from their apartment/house just before they were completely moved out. To put it in other terms, if they had a customer experience rating similar to those tied to sellers on eBay, I doubt they'd have more than 3 stars. Would you buy something from someone with a 40+% negative feedback rating?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 08-22-2009 8:51AM 
Colonel

I've been renting with IR for four properties over four years. Nothing negative to report, aside from the forementioned problems getting the deposit back. Any property I've been halfway interested in renting has had an IR sign in front of it though. Brown has some nice places, but nothing close to campus. If I have to go into a lease knowing I'll probably lose my deposit in exchange for having a place convenient to campus with a large maintenance staff that takes care of problems quickly then I suppose I'll keep on signing my soul away.

Check any apartment rental review site and you'll probably see mostly negative reviews. A pissed-off tenant will log on, check a review site, see other people who have similar sentiments and add fuel to the fire. Any positive reviews are instantly dismissed by the others as coming from apartment staff or tenants bribed to review positively. Most only take the time to seek out those sites and review when they've got something to rant about. So you could get the impression that there is nothing good about most apartment complexes anywhere going solely off of its reviews. That same groupthink effect happens with IR in Rolla. Those that have an acceptable experience with IR don't feel the need to brag about how average their experience was. It's only the ones who feel they've been wronged or cheated that speak out.