Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:29AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: H1N1 Vaccine: To be or not to be...
PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 1:45PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
My mom works in the Healthcare field, and the speed at which this vaccine has been "tested" and approved by the FDA has a LOT of healthcare professionals spooked. Most are not getting the vaccine, largely because of an underrated chance of getting GBS, a neurological disease that kills 2-3 out of every 100 diagnosed patients. She has strongly recommended I avoid the vaccine, and apparently with good reason. She is a good source for this kind of information. Anyway, I have already made my decision. What are you all going to do?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: H1N1 Vaccine: To be or not to be...
PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 3:28PM 
Captain

I don't know... I've never really been to keen on getting flu shots...

I try to take care of myself when it comes to the flu... i.e: wash hands/hydrate/sleep. For prevention/minimization.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 6:04PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Isn't the swine flu actually less fatal and symptoms less severe than the regular flu? That's what I heard a few weeks back, and people are just making a big deal out of it for no real reason.

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 6:29PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

There was a POTENTIAL--and I obviously emphasize potential--a while ago that could have become a pandemic or epidemic, based on similarities of rates of transmission to a big flu epidemic in I believe the early 1900's, and the potential for this to become VERY bad was higher due to there being more international travel nowadays, but now that the danger has more or less passed I don't see the need.

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 7:32PM 
Major

Source: Pi Kappa Phi
I saw somewhere that in the early 1900s this shit died down a bit (like now) and then came back like 6-7 months later. I'm not ruling it out yet.

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 7:50PM 
bertowned
bertowned

I never get flu shots. Not that I'm some crazy Christian Scientist or anything, but I like to keep my immune system not dependant on drugs for me to stay healthy. I'll take drugs or pain killers if I do get sick / hurt, but I never bother with preventative flu vaccinations.

Just seems like another healthcare scam to me to pay $125 every year for a shot to not get sick. I'll take my chances and keep my immune system stronger. So far it's worked. I've been truly sick twice in the past 8 years (aside from an occasional cold) and the last time I was sick - I took a couple advil every 6 hours for two days. My fever lasted less than a day, and I was feeling better in about 2 days, and back to myself in 3 or 4. As far as I can tell, I get sick less than most people, and save a bunch of money not buying flu shots.

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 8:49PM 
Major General

amd2800barton wrote:
I never get flu shots. Not that I'm some crazy Christian Scientist or anything, but I like to keep my immune system not dependant on drugs for me to stay healthy. I'll take drugs or pain killers if I do get sick / hurt, but I never bother with preventative flu vaccinations.

Just seems like another healthcare scam to me to pay $125 every year for a shot to not get sick. I'll take my chances and keep my immune system stronger. So far it's worked. I've been truly sick twice in the past 8 years (aside from an occasional cold) and the last time I was sick - I took a couple advil every 6 hours for two days. My fever lasted less than a day, and I was feeling better in about 2 days, and back to myself in 3 or 4. As far as I can tell, I get sick less than most people, and save a bunch of money not buying flu shots.

Yep, you have to give your immune system practice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmMNdiCz_s[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 10:10PM 
Colonel

Correct me if I'm wrong here...

If we keep vaccinating low risk people against influenza on a regular bases every year, does this not increase the likely hood of creating a "super virus"?

UMR - R.I.P. 04/06/07

PostPosted: Thu 08-27-2009 11:34PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

No. Vaccines are a disabled form of the target type of infection that stimulates the body's development of anti-bodies to fight off that particular disease. The disease only needs to change a tiny part of its chemical make-up or invading DNA strands in order to circumvent a vaccination. Many infections do not mutate easily (small-pox, measles, malaria, etc.), however, influenza is particularly gifted in that it mutates very quickly outside of artificial influences.

However, the over-administration of anti-viral and anti-bacterial medications in order to treat patients in the name of a capitalistic pharmaceutical money-making scheme does have the potential to produce a super-infection. Anti-infection drugs work to destroy a part or all of the infection's ability to reproduce, modify cellular DNA/RNA, or penetrate cellular membranes, or some other method of inhibition rather than actually encouraging the body's natural defense system to develop its own antigen like a vaccine. This is why vaccines are useless once a body is infected, because the body has already been exposed to the infection, only this time the infection has not been crippled/disabled.

When an infection with an affinity towards mutation is forced to adapt to an environment rich in artificial elements vying for its demise, it has an excellent opportunity to try many possibilities to protect itself. Statistically, the infection would eventually find a mutation that is extremely resistant to the most common forms of anti-viral and anti-bacterial treatment, meaning that it is suddenly able to rapidly propagate with very little inhibition available to stop it. While very unlikely, it is still a possibility that becomes greatly more probable the more it is exposed to the same treatment options.

Profile E-mail