Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:45AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Did the Miner just get pwned?
PostPosted: Sat 10-17-2009 1:02PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Are you saying the Miner no longer gets funds from the SAFB? Where does the rest of our SAFB money go now? St. Pats Board, KMNR, Music?

PostPosted: Sat 10-17-2009 4:26PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
dar9q7 wrote:
Are you saying the Miner no longer gets funds from the SAFB? Where does the rest of our SAFB money go now? St. Pats Board, KMNR, Music?

I went to one of the StuCo meetings where they voted on proposals made by SAFB. Just about every student organization on campus (whether recognized or not) was there and clamoring for money. A lot of them get it.

PostPosted: Mon 10-19-2009 8:04AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
My organization (IDSA) isn't recognized yet, and we did not receive funding because of that. I can vouch that if StuCo is at all consistent, then no unrecognized organization received funding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-19-2009 9:06AM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

You have to be a recognized student organization to even receive funding from the DSF side of things (which is the side that needs the Open Forum). The EFC side I'm not as sure about, as that's more of a case by case basis.

And if the Miner were to not receive any money, it wouldn't just be redistributed. Most of it would most likely just go back to the university.

PostPosted: Mon 10-19-2009 10:30AM 
Colonel

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
I don't mind having the student activity fee for certain organizations that help the prestige of the university or create good programs (SUB, Solar Car, Solar house, etc), but heres some I'm not really a fan of:

KMNR - a radio station that very few people listen to, DJed by people who think they are musically inclined by playing indie music noone has heard of.

St. Pats - they raise 10s of thousands of dollars every year from sales of sweat shirts and donations from local businesses and alumni. Sure the money they get from campus goes to somewhat legitmate expenditures, but look at their budget: $2500-3500 for costumes? $5000 on trophies? $6000 dollars to put on Gonzo games? Every year?

Missouri Miner - I like having a student news paper, but the lack of editing or journalistic integrity is unacceptable.

Club Appropriations - $21,000? Seriously, and there is no list of how this is appropriated. I'm pretty sure this helps pay for Trap n Skeet to buy their massive amount of practice ammo and clay targets.

Blue Key - they do tailgates and a block party, not worth it. People join blue key to boost resume, nothing else.

Athletics - we're a D2 school with a second rate sports program, why is every student paying $81 per semester, thats $844,708.00.

It sucks that even if I went to the open forum, it wouldn't change shit, they get the money appropriated and they are going to spend it regardless of what it does for the campus. I'm a member of several organizations that pay member dues every semester, if you want participate in stuff either do fundraising as an organization (8 people can earn $800+ over 4 hours at a blue game in STL) or pay dues. I don't like supporting peoples' hobbies or interests when it doesn't benefit me in the least.

ps - this is just a means to start a discussion, not bitching anyone out for being a part of any of those i listed above. let the insults begin.

All these found in 'DSF Funding 2009 -2010 ' at http://stuco.mst.edu/services/safb

PostPosted: Mon 10-19-2009 10:43AM 
Colonel

dar9q7 wrote:
Club Appropriations - $21,000? Seriously, and there is no list of how this is appropriated. I'm pretty sure this helps pay for Trap n Skeet to buy their massive amount of practice ammo and clay targets.

If you were to scroll a little farther down on the page you linked, you'd see how the Club Appropriation, Campus Events, Non-Varsity Sports, and Professional Projects Funds get appropriated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-19-2009 1:46PM 
Colonel

I didn't realize I had to view another document to get club appropriations budgets.

Look at the club appropriations only make me further frustrated with where my money is going:

Black Man's Think Tank - $3,500 recommended
International Students' Club - $1,350 recommended
Muslim Students' Association - $1,235 recommended
Saudi Students' Association - $2,000 recommended

These 4 organizations are recommended to receive over $8,000 from student activity fees when they are cultural and ethnic groups that are not (as far as I would be concerned) open organizations that anyone can join. Sure they may not be allowed to turn you away, but that doesn't matter.

Society of Exploration Geophysicists - $600
Society of Petroleum Engineers - $1,600
Psi Chi - $550

These are professional and honors societies that should be using membership dues, fundraising, and donations to do their business, not our money.

Non-Varsity sports are hobby groups, they don't bring any particular prestige to the university and only realistically benefit the people who participate. These are how much they are requesting and how much they received last year. Its great that there are these organizations for people to get involved with, but support yourselves if you want to make it happen.

Club - Fall 08 appropriated - Fall 09 requested
Fencing - $1,503 - N/A
Inline Hockey - $10,803 - $10,550 (30 members who only pay $25 in dues per semester)
Lacrosse - $4,896 - $11,575
Rugby - $2,222.66 - N/A
Tennis - $504 - $442
Trap & Skeet - $10,215 - $16,900 (40 members who only pay $25 in dues per semester)
Ultimate Frisbee Club - $2,275 - $7,047
Volleyball Club - $3,652 - $4,750
Paintball - N/A - $6,045 (20 members who only pay $20 in dues per semester)

The moral of my point is that school is already expensive enough and for people like me who pay for it on their own and work their ass off, why am I helping pay for hobbies? Why should Trap & Skeet members get a check for $886.25 per member in their organization?
</rant>

PostPosted: Mon 10-19-2009 6:07PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Keep in mind that this university is a state university, not private, and so some of those funds are received from the state government. Those organizations that get less than $1000 receive less than $1 per enrolled student. If these organizations did not exist, there would be much less of an allure for students to enroll here, and the university would slowly and eventually die of boredom. As off the wall as some of these groups are, they contribute as a whole to the health of the university. Organizations like mine would suffocate and die if some amount of university funding wasn't available simply because we are starting up and the interest from the student body simply hasn't built up yet. There are many things we are going to miss out on that would have made this semester more interesting for members if we had been able to get funding. Even with dues, there still is not enough cash to make things happen.

That is my argument for organizations receiving a reasonable amount of funding. As for trap and skeet, wtf? I didn't know ANY organization could get nearly $15000 from the university. THAT is unacceptable. If you want to shoot shit, buy it yourself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10-20-2009 2:51PM 
Colonel

does someone care to enlighten me on the michele martin suing that ensued? i had no idea that sow sued the university.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10-20-2009 3:31PM 
Colonel

love2mud wrote:
does someone care to enlighten me on the michele martin suing that ensued? i had no idea that sow sued the university.

Quick summary:
In 2006 Student Council voted cut the Miner's SAFB funding for 2007-2008 for salaries from an estimated $35,500 to an estimated $26,000 (the amount of money the Miner estimated they would receive from ad sales) while giving them everything else they asked for to run the paper. In Feb. 2007 certain members of the Miner's editorial board claimed that the university was infringing on the paper's first amendment rights, threatened to sue the university (and SAFB/StuCo), and filed a sunshine request for all relevant documents. And then nothing really happened because the Miner couldn't seem to find anyone to continue the case for them.

Couple of links for further reading:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17990
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18095

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10-20-2009 3:51PM 
Colonel

ok i was able to find that they sued for blah, but never any results. im glad she failed at it. i don't like her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 10-22-2009 2:58AM 
Major

Source: Sigma Pi
If I see "Humans vs. Zombies" on that club list for appropriated funds, I'ma kill a bitch. (Had to walk between a group of those ....'s today)

PostPosted: Thu 10-22-2009 9:18AM 
Colonel

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
Cylord wrote:
If I see "Humans vs. Zombies" on that club list for appropriated funds, I'ma kill a bitch. (Had to walk between a group of those ....'s today)

Ha I can see it now, SAFB pays for 2000 pairs of socks and 1000 nerf guns.

PostPosted: Thu 10-22-2009 4:12PM 
awesome yet humble

dar9q7 wrote:
Cylord wrote:

Ha I can see it now, SAFB pays for 2000 pairs of socks and 1000 nerf guns.

Hell, I'd join that group just for the nerf guns.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Fri 10-23-2009 7:23AM 
Brigadier General

theshed wrote:
love2mud wrote:

In Feb. 2007 certain members of the Miner's editorial board claimed that the university was infringing on the paper's first amendment rights...

If by "certain members" you mean "Chris Stryker," then you are correct. To clarify, he signed everyone's name (including mine), but he was the only one behind it... besides Michele.

Profile E-mail