Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:13PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Does this annoy you?
PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 11:05AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
Just curious if anyone is annoyed by the most recent econnection email?

Quote:
We are Missouri S&T or S&T for short

The University realizes our new name is long, so use Missouri S&T for short. But if you’re looking for a three-syllable replacement for UMR, it’s okay to use S&T. It’s easy, it’s new, and just takes a little practice. Why not say MST or MS&T? Because S&T is unique. We’re the only S&T in the nation, it’s a term we can own. Consistency is the key to a successful university identity. Therefore, in all your communications, please use Missouri S&T or S&T. For more information about how to use our name, our logo, and our brand identity, visit http://standards.mst.edu.

Specifically the part at the link that says "NEVER MST, MS&T, MUST, MoS&T or any other abbreviation. MST is acceptable in reference to mst.edu ONLY in email addresses and URLs."

I hope I'm not the only one that gets annoyed when people try to tell me what I can and cannot refer to something as, especially when I didn't support it to begin with. [/rant]

Post subject: Re: Does this annoy you?
PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 11:09AM 
Major General

It's always been this way. Even when the name was UMR there were standards regarding how to refer to the school.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 11:15AM 
Lieutenant

I was unaware. That is retarded. *sigh* Oh how I fear my ability to assimilate with the corporate environment.

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 11:46AM 
awesome yet humble

I still call it UMR. I'm in texas, so they won't know the difference

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 12:04PM 
Sergeant

Source: Fidelity
Old habits die hard. Much like most people in St. Louis refer to I-64 as highway 40, always have and probably always will...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 12:15PM 
Colonel

I was in the Interfraternity Council before the name change, so I was in the last class to have UMRIFC on our crest. After we ordered the new crests with the name change (became MSTIFC), we got some emails and discussions from Student Life wanting us to change it to S&TIFC, requiring us to spend $50-100 for the patch redesign. We laughed, it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 12:36PM 
Major General

And that is what happens when people make assumptions. The book store did the same thing and it didn't turn out as well for them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 2:17PM 
Captain

We're a state university, for crying out loud. Sure, we're a top-ranking engineering school in the nation (and THE top-ranking engineering school in the Midwest), but still...
I still think the name should have been changed to Missouri Institute of Technology. Take that MIT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 4:46PM 
Drowning

Its rather annoying telling the name change story 1000 times to people who have heard of UMR and not S&T

I think the identity at least for the immediate future (5-10 years) our school will be known as UMR that changed its name to.....ah fuck it who cares

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 7:32PM 
Major

I still call it UMR.

It's not just out of my personal feelings (read: disgust) at the amount of money that was spent for something I consider to be stupid. When I've told others I go to "Missouri S&T," I got blank stares. When I corrected myself and said "UMR" they knew what I meant. *shrug*

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 8:34PM 
bertowned
bertowned

I agree with the email. If it seems too complicated to remember, just use Texas A&M naming standards - you'd never call it TAM or TxA&M. Always Texas A&M or just A&M. I honestly just say "I go to school in Rolla". Everybody knows what I'm talking about, and I don't hurt the new name by calling is UMR.

While I never agreed with the name change (and still don't), I still feel that this is a good University. I'd hate to do more harm to the Uni by confusing other people with many different names. If you're okay with bashing the school or name, just remember - you're only hurting your degree. Since we couldn't beat the name change, we might as well join it. I think it will be a good thing in the long run (even if it wasn't necessary), so we might as well make the best of it and make sure people learn the new name, and accept it (and its variants).

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 10:57PM 
Major General

They should just pull a Prince and change it to an unpronounceable symbol.

Wxman wrote:
Old habits die hard. Much like most people in St. Louis refer to I-64 as highway 40, always have and probably always will...

So true. I think if it wasn't for the rebuilding and all the media coverage "The new I-64" got, half of the people in St. Louis wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about if you were giving them directions and told them to get on I-64.

Perhaps new students to the school will call it S&T just like newcomers to St. Louis will call it I-64, but past and present students will always refer to it as UMR just like myself and every other lifelong St. Louisan will refer to it as Highway 40 as long as we live.

Also, I would strongly recommend that anyone who is looking for a job puts both names on their resume, something like "Missouri S&T (formerly known as University of Missouri-Rolla)" at least for the next few years. My personal experience is that most people in the industry still know it as UMR, the namechange is going to take awhile to catch on out there. Having both on there might sound tacky, but I did it, several people I know did it, and we all got jobs.

PostPosted: Wed 01-13-2010 2:29PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Wilson Library
amd2800barton wrote:
I agree with the email. If it seems too complicated to remember, just use Texas A&M naming standards - you'd never call it TAM or TxA&M. Always Texas A&M or just A&M. I honestly just say "I go to school in Rolla". Everybody knows what I'm talking about, and I don't hurt the new name by calling is UMR.

While I never agreed with the name change (and still don't), I still feel that this is a good University. I'd hate to do more harm to the Uni by confusing other people with many different names. If you're okay with bashing the school or name, just remember - you're only hurting your degree. Since we couldn't beat the name change, we might as well join it. I think it will be a good thing in the long run (even if it wasn't necessary), so we might as well make the best of it and make sure people learn the new name, and accept it (and its variants).

I talked with the registrar at UMSL last semester and when she asked what school I was from I said Rolla and she asked where that was. lol

I just don't agree with them setting standards for what to call something and trying to tell me to follow those standard. Irregardless, I'm going to refer to it as whatever I feel like that day and they can eat me. :)

PostPosted: Wed 01-13-2010 2:40PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Yeah, standards are dumb.....
*rolling eyes as hard as possible*

Just assimilate. By resisting, you're not "fighting the man" or whatever the fuck you think you're doing; save your fights for something worthwhile.

PostPosted: Wed 01-13-2010 2:45PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Wilson Library
ben laden wrote:
Yeah, standards are dumb.....
*rolling eyes as hard as possible*

Just assimilate. By resisting, you're not "fighting the man" or whatever the fuck you think you're doing; save your fights for something worthwhile.

No. :twisted: