Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 12:56PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Local Bars
PostPosted: Mon 02-01-2010 9:13PM 
Sergeant

Source: Fidelity
Just thought that I would get everyone's opinion of the local bar scene. Why do you go to the bar of your choice?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Local Bars
PostPosted: Mon 02-01-2010 11:26PM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
dude....there is only 4, 5 if you dont mind townies

grotto: dump but only students and cheap booze
TJ's: cheap booze mixed crowd of townies/students depending on the night of the week
Locker Room: Never been there at night but the food is good
Bruno's: "Nice" bar, game room and a lot of space. Patio is nice when its warmer

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 12:39AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

LostBoyz wrote:

wrong. you lose.

http://www.theshowrolla.com/

http://taterpatchrolla.googlepages.com/ they're having a st. pats special deal: http://taterpatchrolla.googlepages.com/st.pat'sweekend

oh yeah, and the food is amazing and cheap pound for pound at taterpatch. you can get a cod fish sandwich that is like 10 inches long for just over $4. You might not like this place at night if you don't like cigarette smoke.

personally i recommend the santa fe tater. they have live classic rock bands either every weekend or every other weekend (or used to at least).

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 1:02AM 
Lieutenant

Groto....Shiner Bock on TAP.

I rate bars by the booze, not the clientele :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 1:27AM 
Colonel

I go to the Grotto. They're the cheapest, I've got a mug there, I know the bartenders and owners, and its a 12 minute walk from my house. If you're under 21 don't even try getting in unless its Burrito Friday.

zeroluck: ...so its 4 to 6 depending on how much you mind townies then? :roll: Tater Patch, while having delicious food, is definitely a townie bar. I haven't been to The Show and I am not likely to ever go there mostly because its too far to walk from my house.

And seriously, who the fuck rates bars based off their food and not the booze? You go to a bar to get drunk, not eat dinner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 9:12AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

zeroluck wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

wrong. you lose.

http://www.theshowrolla.com/

http://taterpatchrolla.googlepages.com/ they're having a st. pats special deal: http://taterpatchrolla.googlepages.com/st.pat'sweekend

oh yeah, and the food is amazing and cheap pound for pound at taterpatch. you can get a cod fish sandwich that is like 10 inches long for just over $4. You might not like this place at night if you don't like cigarette smoke.

personally i recommend the santa fe tater. they have live classic rock bands either every weekend or every other weekend (or used to at least).

The tater patch has excellent food, but it can get crowded very quickly. If you are looking for a cheap, filling, meal that is 100x better than McDonalds, this is your place. I, however, recommend getting it to go. The smoke that builds up in that place makes it hard to see the walls, and it's only the size of a double-wide mobile home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 10:32AM 
Drowning

I'm pretty sure the show went out of business, it was pretty crappy

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 10:39AM 
Major

Source: CSF Building
LostBoyz wrote:
I'm pretty sure the show went out of business, it was pretty crappy

Yeah, it's an Italian restaurant again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-02-2010 11:36AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

The Show has been closed for a year now. In that year it has been another bar, then The Barn Loft (ANOTHER bar) and just within the last month it's another Italian restaurant. I give them until about June.

PostPosted: Thu 02-04-2010 9:12AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST Wireless
I do trivia night at Brunos on Tuesdays. Mondays I eat lunch at the Locker Room.

I hate the tater patch. How the hell would you know if the food was any good? Nobody who spends more than 30 seconds in that building would be able to taste a thing. And I went there in the early afternoon for some lunch special they had advertised.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Thu 02-04-2010 11:33AM 
Major General

Source: EE Building
Eat on the deck for lunch. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke and haven't had a problem ever on the deck and only occasionally inside.

PostPosted: Thu 02-04-2010 12:51PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: CivilE Building
I rate bars based on food. Sometimes you want to snack while you're drinking....

Brunos: More pricey, plus they got rid of their day-to-day specials which is kinda lame. On the bright side, it's the only place to go if you want to drink and play pool and hope to get a pool table now that they've redone the right side to be a game room rather than the restaurant side. Food is great, but expensive as hell (appetizers alone will run you $6-8).

Grotto: Cheap as dirt and they mix the drinks pretty well (don't know about if you're a non-regular). Bartenders constantly have a huge stick up their ass and don't ask for a shot with more than 4 ingredients.

Tater Patch: Alright if you want to feel like scrubbing yourself clean afterward. Food is pretty cheap and the portions are gigantic.

Locker Room: Decent food, not too pricey. Drinking can be a little bit expensive there if you plan to get trashed on anything other than Miller Lite but I rarely go there to do such a thing.

PostPosted: Thu 02-04-2010 3:52PM 
Colonel

Grotto: My favorite. CHEAP drinks (compared to anywhere, local or otherwise. If you turned 21 in KC or STL, you will appreciate the prices, even when they aren't running specials). They have the standard bar games: Darts, Pool, Foosball.... and my favorite Silver Strike! I also have a mug, which makes drinking by the pint cheaper ($.50 on draws) and Tuesday night Dollar wells are in the mug instead of the 9(?)oz plastic cup. The only complaint I have is the smell when you come home, but i change my clothes and shower daily anyways.

Locker Room: I really only go there for sporting events or 25 cent wings. Too many townies for my comfort in such a small place.

Brunos: I only go when my buddies are working the bar. Unless you're in a big group and you like to sit around and talk, there isn't much to do. Shuffleboard and darts (if you bring them yourself). The place is nicer, but you will also pay quite a bit more than anywhere else unless you have an in with one of more of the bartenders. [Edit] I always forget about the pool tables, but I've never been on the side with all of them.

TJs: only been once.

Tater Patch: For me it's a weekend lunch location. The food is delicious, HUGE portions, and pretty cheap. I've never been there when its busy, but there are ALWAYS townies at the bar every time I've been.

On a side note, one of my favorite things about the Grotto is the Mug Club. Sure its a little more expensive to drink there when you're earning the mug, but with $1.75 pints of Killians, you really can't complain too much. If you commit to earning points, it can be done in 2-3 weeks easy. Its great to go somewhere that you know the bartender by name, you have your own dedicated glass, and they always knows your drink and face when you come in. Plus Greenway, the owner, is a really nice guy and will just hang out if its not busy and have a few beers.

PostPosted: Thu 02-04-2010 4:27PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

dar9q7 wrote:
TJs: only been once.

me too:

I went in there on a tuesday night with a group of about 8 people and there was no one else there. The bartender was wasted and we asked him what the specials were. He turned around to look at the menu and almost fell down and said "dollar wells" and proceeded to hand us 12 oz cups that were the wells. I forget what happened after that. Although I do remember when we ran of songs on the jukebox he let us plug in an ipod to his giant PA system in the front which was way more awesome than that shitty jukebox anyhow.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 02-04-2010 10:15PM 
Lieutenant

dar9q7 wrote:

On a side note, one of my favorite things about the Grotto is the Mug Club. Sure its a little more expensive to drink there when you're earning the mug, but with $1.75 pints of Killians, you really can't complain too much. If you commit to earning points, it can be done in 2-3 weeks easy. Its great to go somewhere that you know the bartender by name, you have your own dedicated glass, and they always knows your drink and face when you come in. Plus Greenway, the owner, is a really nice guy and will just hang out if its not busy and have a few beers.

What's the Mug Club process, exactly?

I hit 21 in July and plan to take advantage of it until I graduate. :D

Profile E-mail