* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 6:52AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: standoff
PostPosted: Thu 02-18-2010 5:46PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Quote:
The barricaded subject was a 56 year old mental patient who was barricaded in his apartment in the 1200 block of Pine. Family members feared that the male was suicidal and requested assistance. 18 officers responded including the SWAT team and negotiator. After several hours and the use of a pole cam, tear gas and negotiation, the male was removed from the room and provided treatment.

In my experience CS gas tends to inhibit your ability to negotiate, as you're too busy choking and gagging on your own snot to talk much. And come to think about it, I thought a lot about dying while I was in the gas chamber, so I doubt that did much to help his allegedly suicidal outlook! Oh well, like the reply said, you don't have to understand it.

I do get a kick out of the Rolla SWAT team wearing Marine MARPAT gear. Badass. Scoping out the target with Rainbow Six gear, tossing in CS gas, tazer guns and rubber bullets, then picking up the pieces after the smoke clears. We had ourselves a cute little mini-Waco!

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 12:42AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
they have to get their practice in somehow lol. I remember when they were just starting the process of bringing Delta Sig back, we were looking at potential houses and one was an old abandoned schoolhouse that i think was owned by the guy that runs the local paper. went and explored it a bit, found police tape and empty flashbangs and decided it was a good time to gtfo before the swat team decided to hold practice there again lol

/off topic

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 9:52AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: MechE Building
LostBoyz wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:
bagvwf wrote:
Does it trouble anyone else that the police are posting real-time information about their current activities for any and all to read? Case details and everything?

You know, I was wondering that too. The only thing I can figure is that they're not posting enough detailed information. Really no more than if you were at the scene, and asked an officer what was happening as you walked by.

you know anyone can listen to the police scanner right? its public information what they do

Yes, but you have to buy a police scanner. Effectively you're proactively seeking information on police activity. That or it's the only thing good on the radio. Either way, that's not official police public relations. Police radio isn't "meant" for public consumption. I don't see how you could classify a police Facebook page as anything BUT a PR tool for public consumption. In my eyes that makes it different. There's nothing wrong with a PR tool. But when you provide up-to-the-minute call information, you're essentially telling everyone with access O HAI WE R LOOKING FOR ROBBER HERE AND HERE, NOW GO HIDE KAI THX.

History, news and strategic intelligence are three very different things.

If that's not enough to get you riled, then consider this: It's the responsibility of somebody on the payroll to update the police Facebook page. My tax dollars at work (my vehicles are taxed in Phelps Co--cheaper than Boone). Yours too--you pay tuition, and the University (presumably) pays local property tax.

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 3:58PM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
dispatchers have a lot of downtime, and usually when you are doing something that is sensitive (pulling up to arrest someone) the officers will communicate on a private channel that is recorded but not through dispatch and not posted on there. For all you know it might be an automated system

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail