Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:46AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Outlook Live
PostPosted: Tue 03-16-2010 8:04PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
I love how you need to be re-added to listservs since the email domain is now @mail.mst.edu.
Also, wtf is with having the @mail.mst.edu? I'm pretty sure it's an understood fact. Either route the mail properly or stop failing and try harder

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 03-16-2010 8:44PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
holy crap i forgot about listservs

PostPosted: Tue 03-16-2010 10:29PM 
awesome yet humble

I'm wondering if I still have to be connected to the mst wifi network to have the email integrated to my palm pre? idk if anyone else has the phone, but with the old system (@mst.edu) I would have had to be connected to a mst network via wifi whenever I wanted to check my mst email through the phone's email app. I've been able to check my email through the web browser and the outlook web access, but I'm curious that since this is essentially a hotmail account, if that's still necessary. If any of ya'll could shed some light on the matter, I'd appreciate it.

When I try to connect, it essentially comes up with the same message from when I tried to integrate the @mst.edu address. It's asking for a server name, user name, password, encryption, and port #. I'm not sure where to find this info, but it seems like it's the same situation as before. Any words of advice as to where I can find this info?

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Wed 03-17-2010 6:35AM 
Colonel

I connected to a Nexus One off campus with no issues. This email service actually has nothing to do with the mst network, since like you said it's essentially a hotmail account. Anyway...

Quote:
External POP setting:
Server name: pod51000.outlook.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL
External IMAP setting:
Port: 993
Encryption method: SSL
External SMTP setting:
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

I chose to use Exchange ActiveSync rather than POP/IMAP and used m.outlook.com as the server (SSL enabled, accept all SSL certificates). I usually just have the last week of e-mail pushed on the phone at a time, and with POP/IMAP it kept trying to sync the entire account. Username was your_id_here@mail.mst.edu with the password I set on the Live web interface. No more MST-USERS for a domain, just the username. That username is the same if using POP/IMAP.

PostPosted: Wed 03-17-2010 8:50PM 
awesome yet humble

That did the trick. Thanks, Patrick

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Fri 03-19-2010 7:39AM 
Sergeant

Unless you send things from a listserv(and you are still considered a student) you are ok:

How can I make sure that I can still receive from and post to Listservs?
You'll need to contact the administrator of the Listservs to which you belong and request that they update your email to username@mail.mst.edu, where username is your university account sign-in name (SSO). If you don't update your Listserv information, you will be able to receive from, but not send to, any Listservs you're on. You'll also need to add lists.mst.edu to your Safe Senders list (see question on junk mail filtering for more details).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 03-19-2010 11:19AM 
Colonel

Yeah, but it sucks for the listserv administrator of every organization. I hate working with the listserv, its so freakin tedious. I'm glad its not my job anymore.

PostPosted: Fri 03-19-2010 7:41PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

It really is. It's like whoever wrote the code for the listserv stuff wanted to make it as difficult as possible for the people maintaining it. Not looking forward to this Outlook Live move.

PostPosted: Sat 03-27-2010 3:49PM 
Spaceman Spiff

I got a kick out of reading this thread, because this is actually all a repeat of 8 years ago:

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=203

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-27-2010 4:49PM 
General

ZOMGS RYAN

ram--------------4GB------------
vid__GF8600M GT 256MB__2xGF8800GTS 512MB sli
hdd____160GB_______3.5TBw/parity on a 3ware card

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-27-2010 8:52PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Ryan wrote:
I got a kick out of reading this thread, because this is actually all a repeat of 8 years ago:

See this thread:
http://seek42.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=203

That's progress for ya.

Change is painful, but as long as things are changing for the better, there is light at the end of the tunnel (i.e. minermail from Unix, because I've used that global address book more times than I can count for several of the UM system universities). This looks like a change straight sideways, or maybe a couple of toes forward. Google looks like it would have been a much better choice, but who knows? Maybe one of MS Live's obscure and not-yet-explored features (IM chat standard across ALL students, and eventually professors) will become a vital backbone, especially since all the UM system is staying consistent in their choice of servers.

Don't get me wrong, MS has loads of crappy coding, and doesn't really care about established web standards, but maybe if some of the S&T graduates worked for MS and pushed out all the KU and Mizzou CS students, this wouldn't be the case. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-28-2010 9:47AM 
Brigadier General

ShadowCat38 wrote:
Ryan wrote:

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=203

That's progress for ya.

Change is painful, but as long as things are changing for the better, there is light at the end of the tunnel (i.e. minermail from Unix, because I've used that global address book more times than I can count for several of the UM system universities). This looks like a change straight sideways, or maybe a couple of toes forward. Google looks like it would have been a much better choice, but who knows? Maybe one of MS Live's obscure and not-yet-explored features (IM chat standard across ALL students, and eventually professors) will become a vital backbone, especially since all the UM system is staying consistent in their choice of servers.

Don't get me wrong, MS has loads of crappy coding, and doesn't really care about established web standards, but maybe if some of the S&T graduates worked for MS and pushed out all the KU and Mizzou CS students, this wouldn't be the case. :twisted:

I am going to go ahead and stand up for KU and KState CS grads. Most all of the ones I work with know their stuff. MU on the other hand is a different story. Don't think I have ever seen a CS grad from there. Or at least Garmin doesn't hire any. /offtopic

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 5:44AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

cmptrnrd16 wrote:

I am going to go ahead and stand up for KU and KState CS grads. Most all of the ones I work with know their stuff. MU on the other hand is a different story. Don't think I have ever seen a CS grad from there. Or at least Garmin doesn't hire any. /offtopic

That's fine. My stab was more at because it is Kansas rather than actual merit. You almost certainly know more about their actual programs than I do. If they actually know what they are doing, then that is great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 11:10AM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
I just made the transistion yesterday and it wasn't too difficult. I actually prefer the outlook live web interface to minermail's. Should make searching much much easier. Also I can now connect to my campus email without setting up a VPN when I am out of town, which is worth a LOT of gripe for me.

The biggest issue for me was transferring all of my contacts, notes, calendars, and emails. I ended up going the route of exporting everything to their own .pst files and reimporting them. But since I'm on my parents 256k DSL connection it took HOURS to get my emails uploaded. IT's solution of importing using the email accounts prompt in options did not work for me.

I think now that I've made the transition it seems fairly painless from here on out.... so far.

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 12:54PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
dar9q7 wrote:
Also I can now connect to my campus email without setting up a VPN when I am out of town,

wait... why were you using a VPN to connect to campus email?

i have a direct exchange connection from offcampus, no VPN required, plus minermail is webbased and works everywhere...

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next