Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:48AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Outlook Live
PostPosted: Wed 03-03-2010 7:14PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
GamerDonkey wrote:

Wow. Number 9 (mst.edu domain being auto-filtered to spam) is reason enough to me for this software to not be used (at least until they get that sorted out), not to mention that most of the other points he brings up are very valid reasons not to switch.

Edit: Also this (bold added):
Quote:
2. My Minermail account has thousands of messages, a moderate hierarchy of folders, and rules governing the filtration of incoming e-mail. This structure took hours to set up and fine tune to filter mail the way I wanted. I am unable to import any of my pre-existing mail, rules, or folders into Outlook Live. The only solution for message transfer is currently “forwarding all previous messages to your new Outlook Live account”, this is a horrible idea. I spent valuable time attempting to replicate my existing Minermail rule and folder configuration, which still is not working properly for reasons I will detail in subsequent issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-03-2010 8:09PM 
Major

While this is NOT a perfect solution (we shouldn't have a work around to move email) but there is a simple way to move all mail (including folder structure) and calendar info:
You have to use Outlook (I used Outlook 2010 and a two friends at work used 2007) to export the top level folder (named after the account) to a pst file.
Then either reconfigure Outlook for Outlook Live or make a second profile (what I did) and import the pst file.
This copied all my mail and calendar info (but no rules) and that worked just fine (after it uploaded all my stuff to the server which took a while)

If they are going to require the student body to do this, it would be stupid. They need to have a way for everything to be moved automatically. I can understand not having something like that during testing, but it sounds like all students will have to move their own stuff.

And I agree with almost everything here http://ron.zapto.org/?p=17

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 12:53AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Someone please explain this to me.

What is the fundamental problem being experienced right now with in-house management of the dedicated mail servers? I assume that's the impetus for moving to an off-site, third-party-managed, web-based mail system. If not, what is?

Why can't we run our own mail servers like we've been doing for the last 20 years?

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 2:07AM 
Major

The big two advantages are supposed to be more storage space (1GB to 10GB) and email for life (with Outlook Live the name is xxxxxx@mail.mst.edu After moving to Outlook Live xxxxxx@mst.edu mail is redirected to xxxxxx@mail.mst.edu. As of the last I saw they hadn't made an announcement/decision about how long the redirect would last. This possibly limits the usefulness of the email for life for current students but would be nice for students that never had a current campus exchange account.

I can see why they want all the campuses on the same system but this is not the best solution. Why they (UM-System) have everyone using a beta, I have no idea.

I really haven't had to many issues but it is still very far from a deployable state.

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 6:45AM 
Major General

bagvwf wrote:
Someone please explain this to me.

What is the fundamental problem being experienced right now with in-house management of the dedicated mail servers? I assume that's the impetus for moving to an off-site, third-party-managed, web-based mail system. If not, what is?

Why can't we run our own mail servers like we've been doing for the last 20 years?

Money.

It is my understanding that Exchange has a per-user license fee (or they might be bought in blocks, X dollars per Y users). I can only assume that Outlook Live is cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 8:49AM 
Captain

Source: EE Building
Relevant: http://mominer.mst.edu/2010/03/04/no-go-for-google/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 9:40AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: VPN
They just need to man up and upgrade to Exhcange 2010. Servers get old/run out of space. It happens. Upgrade. The price of storage is now cheaper than ever (High Availibility/SAN or not) At the same cost as what they paid for their current exchange 2003 server, one much larger can be purchased.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 9:49AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

The Missouri Miner wrote:
I have a question for Gary Forsee and Gary Allen. Why are you forcing us to spend more money to use Microsoft Outlook Live when we are ready for Google Apps now? What ulterior motives do you have for preventing Google Apps?

If you are concerned about your IT Fees being spent logically, and your email being controlled by S&T Administrators as opposed to Mizzou Administrators, look no further. Make your voice heard to Gary Forsee (forseeg@umsystem.edu) and Gary Allen (allengk@umsystem.edu) that you do not want Outlook Live as your Email service. Communicate to our Provost, Dr. Warren Wray (wkwray@mst.edu), and our Chancellor, John F. Carney III (chancellor@mst.edu) that you want Google Apps.

Good luck talking with Warren Wray and getting him to stand up for the student body. He has already demonstrated himself to be a spineless pushover during the IDE fiasco, and I seriously doubt he'll stand up to anyone with even a hint of more authority than himself.

As for Carney, since when has he put the opinion of the student body above him own interests (name change surveys)? If those people are your only hope, I think you are screwed. I recommend going straight to the people causing the problem, namely the Garys (Allen and Forsee).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2010 9:06PM 
Captain

Source: University Center
ShadowCat38 wrote:
Good luck talking with Warren Wray and getting him to stand up for the student body. He has already demonstrated himself to be a spineless pushover during the IDE fiasco, and I seriously doubt he'll stand up to anyone with even a hint of more authority than himself.

I sent Wray and Carney this email about a week ago. Here is Wray's response:

Dr. Warren Wray wrote:
This is a system-level decision. I have forwarded your message to Vice
President Gary Allen. I'm sure he will take your comments into
consideration.

The email was carbon-copied to Connie Goodridge, an Executive Staff Assistant for the Chancellor, and Margaret Cline, the CIO of S&T. I have no idea if Allen received it, but I'm sure he's caught wind of this published news story.

Still no response from Carney. ShadowCat38, you obviously know what you're saying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-15-2010 4:15PM 
Colonel

I've always been a bit of a masochist, so I eagerly opted in to the soon-to-be-mandatory switch to Outlook Live this morning.

First thoughts: Moving e-mail to the new account was a piece of cake, although it's disturbing to see just how far back my e-mail was archived. I "deleted" most of these e-mails (and emptied the deleted items) years ago but they still existed in the Exchange server's bottomless pit archives apparently. Good thing I never did anything shady with this account. I had to wait a few hours while the old e-mail slowly moved to the new account in chunks of 25 e-mails or so at a time. It was painful to see my previously organized folders tossed together into the new account, but most of them are old enough to trash and start fresh anyway. Rules and folders still exist, but do not carry over.

I don't plan on using the web interface, but it's pretty bloated as expected. I can already tell Junk Mail is going to be a problem, as *mst.edu was an untrustworthy sender at first. Setting it up on a phone was a bit strange, since you have to use "pod51000.outlook.com" as your POP/IMAP/SMTP server, or "m.outlook.com" for Exchange pushing. I think mail.mst.edu is just a forwarding URL for pod51000.outlook.com, hence the funky settings.

Anyone else who takes the plunge and does this early, make sure you change your account settings under Marketing Preferences. By default you've checked "Yes" to "send promotional offers from Windows Live, Bing, or MSN to my e-mail address" "promotional offers from Windows Live, Bing, or MSN to my billing address" and my personal favorite "call me with promotional offers from Windows Live, Bing, or MSN." I don't think Outlook Live has access to your phone number or address unless you give it to them, but I unchecked them anyway.

Bottom line: You're getting a brand new Windows Live account with all the social networking BS which that entails. It also has an email account tacked on as an afterthought. I love the "Beta" prominently featured under the Outlook WebApp logo. Why didn't we go with Gmail again?

PostPosted: Mon 03-15-2010 5:37PM 
Sergeant

Or you could just disable the junkmail folder and have g-mail import everything. Outlook even tells you how to do that.

Edit: It does support POP3, I have gmail pulling from the new account.

Last edited by Ewyatt on Mon 03-15-2010 6:58PM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-15-2010 5:49PM 
Colonel

anyone who has opted in have any problems yet with setting up an outlook tutorial? I use outlook 2007 exclusively and I'm wondering what kind of problems I'm going to experience when I transition (calendars, emails, etc)

PostPosted: Mon 03-15-2010 6:49PM 
Major

dar9q7 wrote:
anyone who has opted in have any problems yet with setting up an outlook tutorial? I use outlook 2007 exclusively and I'm wondering what kind of problems I'm going to experience when I transition (calendars, emails, etc)

See my post second from top of page 2. While it's not a tutorial this should work, I moved all email and calenders (but not contacts, those are synced between my iPhone and Outlook 2010 but not to the exchange server/Outlook Live)

PostPosted: Mon 03-15-2010 7:50PM 
Lieutenant

So, I opted in and now the "Options" tab brings up NOTHING...well, it brings shit up, but there's no option to change my password or anything. WTF?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-15-2010 9:31PM 
Captain

For the love of god how do I make the received email text smaller? I changed the 'Message Format' in options but it didn't do anything (supposed to apply to the mail I send?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next