Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:43PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Outlook Live
PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 9:27PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
So, as you may know, there are plans for the campus to move to Outlook Live for all student email. In short, all early indications are that it kind of sucks. The alternative of GMail was shot down by the UM System. The current plan is to move all students to the new email system within the semester.

I'm not going to copy all the discussion that has already happened, but you can get the whole story and some more specifics from http://www.rollachan.org/b/res/12781.html. The only hope we have of changing this is to communicate with the people in power. So send an email to the chancellor (chancellor@mst.edu) or the UM president (http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/president/contact.php) if you care what happens with your school email.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Outlook Live
PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 10:18PM 
Major General

semi-inspired from rollachan... pretty sure english was a second language for who ever wrote the first one.

It's a little choppy in the middle, but I'm done trying for the moment. If anyone thinks of anything better, post it.

Form Letter wrote:
President Forsee,

I recently learned from an eConnection announcement (http://econnection.mst.edu/2010/02/stud ... utloo.html), that a UM System initiative is forcing a switch in our email services from Outlook Access, to the Microsoft-hosted Outlook Live.

I am requesting you allow us an alternative. Gmail was the email solution favored by our IT department, along with other productivity services packaged in Google Apps; such as Google Calendar, Google Sites, and Google Groups. As the leading science and technology university of the Missouri system, it is our responsibility to remain on the cutting edge. Gmail is a vastly more versatile and fluid system when compared to Outlook Live. Google is a company dedicated to developing and introducing cutting edge features to their products. Google Apps also provides a free alternative to students for office productivity software. Our already technology savvy campus will take full advantage of these features, allowing us to augment our education in new and exciting ways.

So, President Forsee, as a future graduate of the prestigious Missouri University of Science and Technology to an alumnus of the same great institution; I implore you to allow our University a choice in our email service package.

Regards,
Joe Miner

Threw a quick mailto: link... Click here, then the "Form Letter" link.

PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 10:48PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: Off Campus
the link is broken because of phpbb appending ... in the middle of it

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 11:05PM 
Major General

zeroluck wrote:
the link is broken because of phpbb appending ... in the middle of it

ty

PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 11:33PM 
Captain

blitzvergnugen wrote:
semi-inspired from rollachan... pretty sure english was a second language for who ever wrote the first one.

Hey, I wrote that! And English is definitely the language for my origins. Um... *grovels*
However, your rephrasing sounds good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2010 12:12AM 
Major General

koulevprime wrote:
blitzvergnugen wrote:

Hey, I wrote that! And English is definitely the language for my origins. Um... *grovels*
However, your rephrasing sounds good.

it's k. You were headed in the right direction.. but you were trying to sound fancy.. and it just got jumbled. :roll: Crowd sourcing these things is usually a good idea. If benladen would like to take a stab at it, I think we could get even better results.

PS: Why's it say "Tori" wrote that? Is that your rollachan/furry sn? :lol: :twisted: jk

PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2010 8:00AM 
Colonel

I've never used it, but I know Mizzou does.

PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2010 11:16AM 
Captain

so..how bad is this Outlook program? I don't know what it is, so I don't know what I'm fighting here. :| Is it complete and utter dog shit? Even worse than what we have now? ;_;

PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2010 3:07PM 
Major

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Veo wrote:
so..how bad is this Outlook program? I don't know what it is, so I don't know what I'm fighting here. :| Is it complete and utter dog shit? Even worse than what we have now? ;_;

I avoided the opt-in program, but this is what I've heard informally:

The remote-access UI (like through Firefox) sucks. Limited customization and terrible default settings.
    Sending an email can take up to 30 minutes.
    Receiving emails seems delayed compared to Exchange and Outlook.
    Under the extreme load of 16 users, it is already experiencing outages.
    It is hosted in Columbia, so support for problems will be proportional to that of Blackboard and JoeSS.
    While Google Apps are still available, they will not be as ubiquitous in the student body as they would if Gmail were included. So the benefits of creating a shared Google Doc or a Google Group for a project are lost.

Someone is writing up a more formal report of issues they've had using Outlook Live. I'll let you know if I get a chance to look at it.

Edit: Also, it marks pretty much everything as Junk Mail, including messages from @mst.edu addresses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2010 5:37PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
Currently I use the POP3 settings on Gmail to import my mail, anyone know if this will still work with the new setup?

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2010 7:50PM 
Captain

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
Also, tomorrow, Chancellor's Council is meeting at Noon on 3/3/2010 in St. Pat's A of Havener Center. I'll be there to talk about my preference with Google Mail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-03-2010 10:44AM 
Captain

mwsgh6 wrote:
Currently I use the POP3 settings on Gmail to import my mail, anyone know if this will still work with the new setup?

From what I gathered from a source in IT, Outlook Live will not support POP3. It will only support IMAP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-03-2010 11:04AM 
Major

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
koulevprime wrote:
mwsgh6 wrote:

From what I gathered from a source in IT, Outlook Live will not support POP3. It will only support IMAP.

I believe that you will still be able to get your school email to Gmail, but it will become a slightly more complicated process that will likely be easily broken by small changes to the system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-03-2010 5:13PM 
Major General

Are they only migrating students to this, or faculty too? I know from my time working there, they are the most resistant to changes by the IT department, not to mention many of them already have huge (we're talking gigabytes) PST files with archived mail, tons of Outlook rules, make extensive use of calendars and tasks, have things configured just the way they like them, etc. They will not be happy at all with this move. Anything that changes what they're used to and have been using for years will not sit well with them. Make your professors aware of the change, especially if they've been at S&T for many years and you know they heavily use Outlook. I think if they put up a fuss, something might happen, because shit will hit the fan when they come to campus one day and see their e-mail system has been changed.

Edit: Crap, I see it's student e-mail only. It still may not hurt to make them aware, if this new system has questionable reliability as others have mentioned, they won't be too happy since e-mail is the main form of communication between students and teachers.

PostPosted: Wed 03-03-2010 6:51PM 
Major

Source: CompSci Building
Related: http://ron.zapto.org/?p=17

Profile E-mail