Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 3:36AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Outlook Live
PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 2:12PM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
I have a direct exchange connection when in rolla because (from what I've been told) fidnet shares a backbone with the university, but I am not able to connect to minermail through outlook using exchange unless I have a VPN set up. But yes, minermail through the web interface has always worked off campus.

If you can direct connect to exchange without a VPN outside of Rolla then I don't know why, but I am not able to from my parents DSL connection in Columbia.

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 3:03PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
I have wave internet. When I do a tracert it goes through KC before hitting Rolla again, so idk.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 8:11PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
I've had e-mail access from central IL via AT&T DSL without VPN... then again, that was a semester or two ago. Maybe someone was tinkering with firewall rules since then and it all went to shit. *shrug*

@dar9q7: By exporting to PST files, were you able to maintain folders you've sorted mail into (I'm assuming you had at least one folder)? If so, what'd you have to do.. export each folder to an individual PST?

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 10:28PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Does the new interface actually work in firefox now? Also - can I still type in someone's name and have it pull up their contact info?

PostPosted: Mon 03-29-2010 11:39PM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
I don't use multiple folders anymore (I did for a research project but its over and I just deleted all of the emails).

I remember that during the export process there was a check box for 'include subfolders' so I assume you could select to export the Inbox and as long as your folders are sub-folders of it, it should exclude.

My problem stemmed from when I attempted to export my contacts, notes, calendars, etc. I could only export one piece at a time, so I had to create a .pst for each. I don't know about nested folders though.

PostPosted: Tue 03-30-2010 11:58AM 
Major

Ah, okay. What about amd's question regarding Firefox (and/or other non-IE browsers, e.g. Chrome)?

PostPosted: Tue 03-30-2010 12:44PM 
Colonel

Firefox doesn't like pop-ups when trying to search for someone using the contacts look-up box, but after you allow pop-ups it all works fairly copasetic. Chrome works with no problems I've found yet (its my full time browser).

Just pulled Kevin's profile, guy I study with (firefox):

For anyone who hasn't seen the interface (chrome):
http://tinypic.com/r/2qs3ux2/5

I really kind of like it... vs Minermail at least. I'd say I would have definitely preferred google, but what can you do? Even if it is our money, it's not our choice.

PostPosted: Tue 03-30-2010 2:47PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

i think the layout/interface is actually much more functional than google's, but it lacks in awesome features and reliability.

also, if it works for chrome, it most likely works for all webkit browsers... (safari, konqueror, epiphany, etc.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-05-2010 1:27PM 
Colonel

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
anyone else who has made the transition having problems connecting? the site appears dead to me.

PostPosted: Tue 04-06-2010 7:38AM 
Lieutenant

Still dead for me. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue 04-06-2010 8:43AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

actually i thoroughly enjoy using the physical outlook 2010 connected directly to exchange. it is vastly superior to any webmail. I like the idea of gmail only because of the huge amount of storage, but we will then be plagued with 20mB attachment filesize limits, which is BS. Currently we have no attachment filesize limits.

Last edited by zeroluck on Tue 04-06-2010 9:11AM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-06-2010 8:47AM 
Sergeant

Source: Physics
I suggest we send a message to the UM system by boycotting this new system. We can all pretty much agree that gmail and Google Apps are a whole hell of a lot better that Outlook. Everyone should just create a gmail account and have it forward your Minermail to your gmail. I've been doing it for years.

PostPosted: Tue 04-06-2010 9:26AM 
Major

Source: CSF Building
Tucker wrote:
I suggest we send a message to the UM system by boycotting this new system. We can all pretty much agree that gmail and Google Apps are a whole hell of a lot better that Outlook. Everyone should just create a gmail account and have it forward your Minermail to your gmail. I've been doing it for years.

They won't really notice that, but go ahead. It seems to work out a lot better for most of the people I talk to who have switched. The only people who may notice it is Microsoft, and the only thing they might do is turn off forwarding.

That said, continue sending feedback about the new system. Submit tickets for problems and outages, because the higher ups are noticing the feedback that they've been getting. We may be on the way to Outlook Live now, but the situation has been described to me as not yet set in stone. So, if you think you'd prefer having the full Google Apps Suite (including Gmail) on campus, keep sending those emails. Whenever Outlook Live decides to be up and after the obligatory 30 minute sendtime, of course.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-06-2010 9:39AM 
Lieutenant

Source: IDE Building
Ticket submitted. Sigh...

PostPosted: Tue 04-06-2010 10:06AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
I submitted a ticket yesterday around 2 when I lost connectivity, but thought it may have been a temporary fluke. Pisses me off that I don't have email again this morning. This is ridiculous. I called IT Helpdesk this morning and they said they are aware of the problem. I would get mad at IT if I didn't know that they originally had been pushing the Google option.

I wouldn't mind the outages all that much if only they had replicated the emails back to minermail or something so that when the Live is out, I could still check minermail, but right now I am wholly without email connections.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next