Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:02PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sprint?
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2010 2:04PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
I'm thinking I will be moving to KC after I graduate in December, looking at a new provider this summer and I'm settling on Sprint. Anyone have experience? I see 3G service is in Rolla, how is the connection and DL speeds?

I want an android smartphone and I really don't want AT&T.

My only problem is trying to bundle with my mom's phone to save money for both of us. I want data, texts, voice for my phone but all she uses is voice. I can't seem to find a sprint plan where I can get all of the data plan I want but also bundle with a voice-only share plan for her.

Post subject: Re: Sprint?
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2010 5:37PM 
Major General

Haven't had any problems w/ Sprint service in Rolla. 3G and all. Dunno about bundling voice-only plan w/ data plan, but the family data plan is very reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2010 8:14PM 
Colonel

talked to the rep today, no way to get a nice smart phone bundled with a voice-only plan.... lame. but oh well for not much more over what i pay now for us cellular, both lines can have unlimited texts and data.

PostPosted: Wed 06-09-2010 11:45AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

dar9q7 wrote:
talked to the rep today, no way to get a nice smart phone bundled with a voice-only plan.... lame.

Of course not, unless you buy the phone outright (for like $500). The mobile company subsidizes the cost of the phone so they can bill you for service. They've been doing that since roughly 1753.

PostPosted: Wed 06-09-2010 3:25PM 
awesome yet humble

bagvwf wrote:
dar9q7 wrote:
talked to the rep today, no way to get a nice smart phone bundled with a voice-only plan.... lame.

Of course not, unless you buy the phone outright (for like $500). The mobile company subsidizes the cost of the phone so they can bill you for service. They've been doing that since roughly 1753.

Actually, the data plan requirement was started up within the past year or so, mostly due to the fact that smartphones have just recently picked up in popularity. I think at&t just started enforcing the rule around last september. They require a specialized data plan because the phones are programmed to constantly check for data, and thus they use a lot more data than a typical cell phone.

Also, even if you buy the phone at full retail, you'd still need a data plan. The phone price only affects the contract, not the required features. Extra features may affect rebate eligibility, but it's generally policy that a smart phone has a data plan provisioned.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Wed 06-09-2010 3:37PM 
Colonel

i meant that i want one line with a smartphone and data and a second line with voice only. One is for me and the other for my mom who doesn't know how to text, much less use a smart phone.

I want to bundle the voice service then pay for the data plan as a feature set. But this isn't available.

PostPosted: Wed 06-09-2010 5:46PM 
Brigadier General

el_lorenzo wrote:
bagvwf wrote:
dar9q7 wrote:

Actually, the data plan requirement was started up within the past year or so, mostly due to the fact that smartphones have just recently picked up in popularity. I think at&t just started enforcing the rule around last september. They require a specialized data plan because the phones are programmed to constantly check for data, and thus they use a lot more data than a typical cell phone.

Also, even if you buy the phone at full retail, you'd still need a data plan. The phone price only affects the contract, not the required features. Extra features may affect rebate eligibility, but it's generally policy that a smart phone has a data plan provisioned.

Blackberries have required data plans for forever. iPhone required one when it first came out. Data plan requirements is much older than just a year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 06-09-2010 7:03PM 
Drowning

actually its not, AT&T just started last year

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail