Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:38AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Linear Algebra
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 9:42AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
So i'm taking linear algebra this summer and my teacher is Insall. Anyone have any experience with him? Someone to look out for, or is he an easy prof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 11:16AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
He's the hardest Linear Algebra prof, but you will learn the material with him.

"I'll attract them with my human call.... 'I'm so wasted, I'm so wasted!'" - Dryad, Night Elf, Warcraft III Reign of Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 1:18PM 

Source: Somewhere
LordoftheJujubes wrote:
He's the hardest Linear Algebra prof, but you will learn the material with him.

I disagree. He is the worst professor of all time. He taught me and the class nothing. ANYTHING that i learned from that class was from other students or my own reading. He sucks. I would rather have taken another Lit class than that piece of crap, and that is saying alot coming from me. His grading is also completely arbitrary. Two guys sat behind me, me liked one and not the other, on a test they had the multiple choice the same and the short answer crap said pretty much the same on both, both tests were of the same quality, one got high 80's other high 60's, a slight difference would be expected, but that is ridiculus. I got an A in the class, so i am not saying this because he gave me a bad grade. He may be an alright guy but cannot teach worth crap. Really cannot teach.

Worst class ever taken, I would switch to someone else if I was you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 2:52PM 
Colonel

Source: CompSci Building
... so did you learn the material? Note I did not say he would teach you the material, but that you would learn the material for his course.

"I'll attract them with my human call.... 'I'm so wasted, I'm so wasted!'" - Dryad, Night Elf, Warcraft III Reign of Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 5:27PM 

i took him for calc a couple years ago. had a c not too long before the final. aced homework and two quizes. thought i did very well on the final. he failed me. i stopped by his office on several occasions (with appointments) to see my test. never had it. he told me i "deserved the grade i was given". he's a fucking prick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 5:35PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
I recently had Hering and he was really good. I learned the material and I got an easy A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 5:48PM 

Ok, I had I had Insall for Linear Algebra twice but I quickly dropped the class both times because he sucks. His idea of Linear Algebra is to have your peers help you out through a Yahoo discussion group, and write a friggin' long math report. What kind of math class is this? Whatever happened to just MATH? Take Math 203 (Matrix Algebra) with Clark instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 5:57PM 
Colonel

Source: MST Wireless
No offense, but I honestly doubt you have a clue as to what "just math" is. What you're used to is applied math, and really isn't anywhere near real math. From what I remember of Insall, he went over more of the theory as just barely glossed over the applications part of it. I guess you can say he lectured as if it were a graduate level math course (primarily theory, few to none applications, almost no numbers) as opposed to an undergrad lvl (mostly applications/number crunching). That's not to say he acted as if it were a graduate level course, but his lecture style seemed to suggest that's the direction he was heading...

Last edited by LordoftheJujubes on Tue 06-08-2004 2:21PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 1:53PM 
I am the Walrus

Source: Off Campus
Jesus H. Christ, it's just fucking Linear Algebra, change your tampons. Whether Insall teaches or whether he doesn't, which he doesn't, that class shouldn't be a problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 2:01PM 
Major

Source: VPN
so i had my first class of the lovely Insall. I wonder if the essays need intro, body, and concl. laff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 2:25PM 
I am the Walrus

I think most academic pieces of writing need to have those parts.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 2:26PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Joe wrote:
Jesus H. Christ, it's just fucking Linear Algebra, change your tampons. Whether Insall teaches or whether he doesn't, which he doesn't, that class shouldn't be a problem.

My apologizes. I've gotten tired of people trying to argue that "1+1=2" is "real" math, while proofs and papers are not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 2:31PM 
I am the Walrus

That was more of a generic comment, not really directed at you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 9:42PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
Well, I've heard it stated this way:

If you have Insall, just drop the class--cause either way, you're taking it again next semester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 9:50PM 
Captain

Wouldn't it be better to just drop to hearer status? You don't waste as much money and you may still get something out of going to class. I don't know 'cause I've never had him, not yet anyways. If you sit in on class then you'll at least know more about what to expect when you actually take it.

Profile E-mail