Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:52AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Who wants to start a PBL chapter (FBLA for college kids)...
PostPosted: Sat 06-19-2004 6:34PM 

Source: Somewhere
I was extremely involved in FBLA in high school, and I was in PBL this year, but it was a virtual chapter out of Iowa)... I'd like to start one with actual people from rolla.

We only need 3 people and one adviser to get recognized by the national chapter.

I guess if we get 15 or more we're officially a UMR club...

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-19-2004 9:34PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
hey...go for it! I'd help ya. I was involved majorly in FBLA, too. I was going to start a PBL at QU before I had left there so I still have the information packet if you need more stuff.
Just let me know...but I think it's a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-19-2004 10:34PM 
Captain

Source: Delta Tau Delta
They tried bringing back a couple of econ clubs last year but it never fanned out. I would join PBL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-19-2004 11:50PM 

Um... what are we talking about? I don't know those acronyms. Obviously I wasn't a member, but I'd like to know anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-20-2004 12:00AM 
Major

FBLA = Future Business Leaders of America
PBL= Phi Beta Lambda (the college form of FBLA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-20-2004 10:07PM 

Alright, looks like there is at least some support, thats great.

I'm going to talk to the Missouri PBL adviser, she had a list of a few people that might be at UMR that were interested in PBL.

Now the main question is, does anyone know any professor that wouldn't mind being an adviser? And is there any way we could get in contact with someone who could set us up with a professor who might be interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-20-2004 10:17PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
I think your best bet would be a professor in the EMan dept. or maybe IST. But an EMan professor would be better, methinks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-20-2004 11:12PM 

Swirls wrote:
I think your best bet would be a professor in the EMan dept. or maybe IST. But an EMan professor would be better, methinks.

Yeah, EMAn, IST, or the School of Management and Information Systems...

Certainly someone in one of those areas wouldnt mind "advising". We wouldn't really need them, they'd just have to show up and grade papers for an hour every week or two while we held a meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-22-2004 2:42PM 
Major

I had thought about starting PBL here, but I didn't think I would really have the time to get it started. I was a state officer in FBLA and would join PBL. I would also love to help getting things started if you need any help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-23-2004 3:39PM 

I'm thinking of having a startup meeting sometime, where we can just get together and figure this out, see if we can find an adviser, and get the organization packed filled out.

I don't think it'll take much to get it started, keeping it going will be the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-26-2004 10:46AM 

the Business school already has a entrepreneurship club started. There was a core group of students, but couldnt find enough interest, so the idea died down. I dont know how different this will be from PBL but you may want to talk to someone with the Business Administration department and they would probably help you to set up the club, find an advisor etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 10:16AM 
Major

Well, every entrepreneurship club that I've seen is distinctly different from PBL. We had one at QU and they wouldn't let us start PBL because they said we'd give the entrepreneurs competition. So...if the idea of that club died down, I think PBL would go over better anyway. But that's just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 6:57PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
Yet, entrepreneurs require competition. You can't just back down off your business b/c Mr. Fortune 500 CEO comes knocking.

You SO should have given your pansy entrepreneurs competition. If they couldn't hack it...consider it a hostile takeover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 8:16PM 
Major

anyway the point is...even if there is or was an entrepreneur club, it's not the same as PBL and I sooo think a PBL would go over well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 8:53PM 
Captain

I think i'll shoot an e-mail to the business department (i'm wankster, just too lazy to log in).

What should I put in the e-mail, what should I say, any suggestions from anyone whos tried to get a club/organization started before.

By PBL guidelines we need just 3 memebers an an adviser, by UMR guidelines I believe we need 15 members.