PostPosted: Fri 06-25-2004 9:38AM 
Penis Hater

Source: Off Campus
Interested in buying an old 1.1 MP? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06-25-2004 8:10PM 
Major General

Source: Sigma Nu
i have never seen AA batteries that last as long as any lithion ion batteries out there.... but how much do these special AA batteries cost? most cameras come w/ith li-ion batteries (if they use them) and you can get a spare for like $12 off ebay. i don't need a recharger, the camera recharges itself (when plugged in). and when not plugged in, it will last at least a week with regular use before it runs out of batteries if you don't leave the LCD screen on constantly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-26-2004 10:14AM 
Captain

Personally I love Canon cameras, but what I tell everyone that asks me what camera they should by is to go into a Best Buy, Circuit Shitty, or whatever and play around with the display models. Think about what you'll be using it for. If you want something for snapshots go with a smaller camera without much zoom (probably wouldn't need it too much for snapshots and such); this is what most people want/need. If you want something for sports or just need zoom go with a bulkier model with more optical zoom (NEVER LOOK AT DIGITAL ZOOM); they make point & shoot models with 10x optical zoom. Look at all brands, not just the ones people tell you to stick with. Find one you are comfortable using that is within your price range and go with it. Another thing to keep in mind is the memory card it takes. If you have a PDA or MP3 player then you may want to stick with the same type of memory. Compact Flash (CF) is a good reliable type, SD is getting bigger sizes and a little cheaper, Sony Memory Stick is proprietary but other brands (ie Sandisk) are making it now so its getting cheaper, XD is a new type that is replacing Smart Media it's smaller and thicker (SM is the really thin wafer like type).

If you want something for Pro type stuff then pay out the ass and get digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex). They work the same way as a standard film SLR but have an advanced CMOS plate or CCD where the film would normally be. Again that costs $1000 for a basic model and a basic lens (Generally you need several different lenses). I know you weren't saying that pro's don't use digital period, but people still seem to get confused every now and then. For this I suggest the Canon D10 or the Digital Rebel. The D10 is $1499 for just the body (lenses are seperate) and the Digital Rebel is $999 with a basic lens. Not many people should be looking for this, so I'm going to stop here with that advice. If you want more just ask.

A lot of info, but it helps to be well informed when buying a digi-cam. Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-26-2004 12:46PM 
Major General

[quote="jerslan"]...Best Buy, Circuit Shitty...[/quote]

i used to think the same thing, until my family went to purchase a bigscreen HDTV. the best buy sales staff was so incompetant that they talked us out of buying a $2000 sony 43" tv. so we drove up the road to circuit city where we were talked into buying the exact same tv. it seemed that the only thing the guy at best buy could do to demonstrate the tv's abilities was slap it with a clipboard to show us how the screen was impact resistant (he hit it with a clipboard probably 5 or 6 times)

a friend of mine (pin2hot) is getting a D10 sometime soon... i don't know what makes him think he can afford one right now, but he said he's getting it. he said he was paying $800 for the body and getting three lenses (portrait, zoom, and a telephoto zoom). i'm pretty anxious to get to play with it when he gets back to school. his previous camera was a G2 and he pretty much sold me on the canon G series (although i wish i had paid a little extra for the G3 which was getting really cheap when i bought my camera. oh well)

personally i like the digital rebel a lot. they have a demo at wal*mart you can play with. but somehow i don't think 6.3 megapixels is enough, considering there are cameras out there with around 8 MP for around the same price (sony's got one, but i don't think it's an SLR)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-26-2004 6:47PM 

Source: Somewhere
Sutherlands wrote:

How much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 1:40AM 
Sergeant

Jason Holm wrote:
One word: Sony

I REALLY love my Sony DSC-P92

Its 5 mega pixel of goodness!
Does MPEG movies with sound.

In regards to zoom it has 3x optical (NEVER EVER USE DIGITAL ZOOM)
YOU can 'digital' with Photoshop or what ever you use...

This is the same camera I got about a month ago and I love it. The only problem is that with a 128M card I only get about 5/6 min higher quality video time. But you can get the an hour an a half of lower quality video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 1:21PM 
Major

I just bought the Canon A80 yesterday as my first digi-cam. I think it's pretty sweet.
Of course, I don't really know anything about photography.

And I don't care what you all say, digital zoom has it's benefits too. I did a little experiment to prove it.

http://webpages.charter.net/a-melita/zooming.jpg
This is a picture of an address on a business card taken from about 2.5-3ft away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 3:32PM 
Major General

i was reading about that shit yesterday... the camera does a lot of interpolating with the pixels when you digital zoom. i'm sure there is a filter in photoshop that will sharpen the image to the level of the camera's picture. point is, you shouldn't rely on it. also, keep in mind that if you take a full 4 MP picture (2272x17whatever) and view it in windows picture viewer it will be shranked down to the size of your desktop... if you view the image actual size it will be bigger and you aren't zooming in on anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 3:56PM 
Major

right, i didn't despeckle or anything in photoshop, I only enlarged it.

I'm just saying that there is going to be a difference because you will actually be focusing on details that if you don't zoom on will probably be unclear and enlarging the photo isn't going to turn out that great.

But that's one of the beauties of digital, you're not paying for film so you might as well take two pictures of the same thing, one zoomed in and one not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-30-2004 9:03PM 

Source: Somewhere
bought fuji s 7000(6 mega pixels).looks kick ass ,works kick ass.features like continuous shooting mode,19 x zoom,can be used as a web cam too,attachments can be bought for it to work as a professional camera,strong flash,again looks kick ass,a video mode (pretty good quality).cost? 800 bucks but i got it for half the price at buydig.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-01-2004 12:31AM 
Major General

half priced? was it a refurb?

and 19x zoom? i am assuming that is with digital zoom?

how many continuous shots can you take? i don't know how many mine does, but it can take 2.5 frames a second (i think they are bursts of 14... but that might be for the 1.5 a second mode)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07-03-2004 11:52PM 
Sergeant

Source: VPN
The best brands are Canon and Nikon... Followed by Sony, Olympus, and Fuji.... then is some of the others like HP and Kodak. The reason that the top ones are better are because of features, and lenses. Canon, Nikon, and Sony have REALLY good lenses. You can take one of these cameras, take a shot with lets say a 2.0 MP camera and it will rival a 3.0 camera in a brand of lesser quality.

You say that you have been looking at these 2 cameras that you like... have you looked at a lower model one. Many of the series have a few extra features that can be lived without... So what if you loose a MP... you have saved money.

What are you wanting to do with this camera. Take pictures to download to your computer? to print 4x6 picts? 5x7? 8x10. This is the only time that MP are that big of a deal. You don't wanna take a 2 MP camera and try to blow the image up to a 8x10. 2 MP is good for a 4x6 print or computer usage. 3 MP for anything less than a 5x7. So on and so forth. My guess is you probably aren't going to NEED a 5 MP camera. Go for something cheaper.

Go to Walmart. Play with the cameras on the bar. Go to where ever else you can go... play with those cameras. But keep in mind your budget. If you don't know about dumping that much money into a camera, you probably shouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2004 2:24AM 
Brigadier General

Anonymous wrote:
bought fuji s 7000(6 mega pixels).looks kick ass ,works kick ass.features like continuous shooting mode,19 x zoom,can be used as a web cam too,attachments can be bought for it to work as a professional camera,strong flash,again looks kick ass,a video mode (pretty good quality).cost? 800 bucks but i got it for half the price at buydig.com

I am getting a Fuji S3000, and it is still a pretty tight camera. It only cost $250 with a case and everything from Sam's Club. Pretty good deal so I jumped on it. I can't wait to play with it at work.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2004 9:01AM 
Major

Anonymous wrote:
Sutherlands wrote:

How much?

Don't waste your time... It is most likely outdated and a piece of crap. Go to ebay and look on there you can normally find really good deals from good ebayers that have special packages. I got a really nice Nikon off Ebay for only 300 something... and it came with 2 lenses and a bag and some other crap. Granted it was 35 mm and you can do so much more with film versus digital... But i have a Kodak dx 3500... i think... it is one of the Kodak ones and it is really good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2004 3:01PM 
Major General

if he's only selling it for $15, what does it matter if it's an outdated piece of crap? obviously he was interested in buying a cheap ass camera if he wanted to know the price of a 1.1 MP camera