Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 04-18-2024 5:03PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Interesting topic
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 8:09PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
I got this from someone I went to high school with. She sent it to me right after 9/11 during my sophmore year here.

Discuss

Quote:
Dear Family and Friends,

I cannot begin this email without saying that words cannot describe the hopelessness and pain I feel deep in the essence of my being as a result of yesterdays multiple terrorist attacks. In the past 24 hours I have been angry, I felt useless and guilty, humbled, and cynical. But above all, as an American, I realized that I hold partial responsibility for the root causes of this event, and accountability as to how our government will respond to this boundless tragedy.

The stories that followed the attacks have been a source of further despair for me. We live in a society whose information is manufactured by a powerful corporate media. I, like many Americans, spent hours in front of the television yesterday as NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, and even MTV began to shape and control the way we understand this catastrophe. Clearly, the messages that have been put forth by both the corporate media and the government have been hyper patriotism and revenge.

I ask each of you to reflect critically on these messages
and realize that they will only further cripple an already sickened human race. We must surmount these messages that carry with them the governments hidden agenda of nationalism over world unity and revenge over justice if we ever hope to
dismantle American exceptionalism and domination.

Last night, our president addressed our nation and the world saying that America was attacked because people are trying to destroy our "liberty." I cannot think of a more inflaming or ludicrous analysis of the situation.
Our country is at point of contention with most of the world because we are the central perpetrators of most of the worlds suffering through military and economic domination. The Pentagon is a symbol of violence and continued oppression while the World Trade Centers are a buttress for world wide economic apartheid.
That is why these sites were attacked. This attack had
nothing to do with "liberty." But unfortunately, the
reality of the critical worldview towards America was
dismissed and manipulated in order to make it seem as though
no one had any justifiable reason to be angry at "the
greatest nation in the world."

I am by no means an apologist for what happened, I am above
all a pacifist and denounce all forms of violence. These
acts of terrorism are inexcusable and
unbelievable, but it is important that we take a holistic
view of this tragedy if we want to begin to understand how
to prevent it from occurring again.

Yesterday, one of my professors, an expert in terrorism,
stated rather frankly, "This was only a matter of time." No matter how secure you make a country it is not completely terror proof. One must realize that terrorism cannot be stopped. However, preventative measures can be taken in order to reduce the possibility of a terrorist act from occurring. A key way is through a just domestic and foreign policy, which the U.S. has lacked throughout its history.
Sadly, America was founded on a culture of violence and the belief that some people are more superior than others, a belief system our government still champions though its actions. And let us never forget that we have been perpetrators and supporters of state sponsored terrorism for decades throughout Latin America, Southeast Asia and the
Middle East.

In the midst of my anguish today, a friend and current professor of mine said to me, "Remember, the most profound injustices have always been challengeable. Disparity is never the answer." This gave me hope for the first time since the nightmare of yesterday.

I doubt that anyone will disagree that the destruction
caused yesterday will permanently alter U.S. society and our domestic and foreign polices. The question that is yet to be answered is "In what way will things be changed?" The power brokers of our society have sent a clear message that they are trying to seek a policy of revenge in order to maintain U.S. superiority.
They have tried to induce a feeling of vengeance in our
society when it is most vulnerable by
repeating again, and again, and again the awful moments when the World Trade Centers crumbled to the ground and footage of the Pentagon engulfed in smoke. They have fanned the flames of religious intolerance by making Muslims look like the enemy in using words like "jihad" out of context, and pointing only to Arabs as the "obvious suspects." It is time that we ask the question "Will we allow for a continued genocidal domestic and foreign policy, or will we demand policy changes that recognize and protect the intrinsic value in all human life regardless of ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation?" That is the question that each of you, and I, have the power to influence.

So I ask you, I beg you, I implore you, at this most
critical time in world history, reflect on what direction
you want your countries domestic and foreign
policy to evolve. If you want violence to end and peace to finally be possible, we must begin by seeking true justice in the aftermath of these tragic acts of terrorism. A nonviolent, human rights approach to our handling of these events is the only answer, and it will not happen unless the people demand it.

In Love Peace and Solidarity,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 8:16PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
Were these her words?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 8:36PM 
Major

bagvwf wrote:
Were these her words?

No, it was from someone she knew. She said that she agreed with it wholeheartedly.

I'm bored. I have been looking through all of the funny emails that have I have recieved in the past 3 years.

I stumbled upon this email and thought I'd share it.

/edit
Yikes. I just realized that since 9/6/01, I have recieved 14,994 emails.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 6:55AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
Stoopid forward -> "Bah-leeted!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 7:40AM 

Source: Somewhere
zkissane wrote:
Stoopid forward -> "Bah-leeted!"

Agreed.

Blindly seeking bloodthirsty vengeance doesn't work, but neither do conspiracy-theory nutjobs who rant about evil corporate control of society while hugging trees and getting boners thinking about how great it would be if we could all drink cappuccino in perfect tie-dyed harmony. Somehow, they think that the injustice of the 9/11 attacks will be abated by further injustice, namely, not punishing those responsible. I say, ha! We've been hearing stupid crap like this since the 60s. Maybe Bush's solution didn't work*, and maybe it wouldn't from the outset, but neither would this boneheaded solution.

"If everyone on earth had a flower instead of a gun, there would be no war." - LSD, The Producers.

It was a joke then, and it's a joke now.

*however, handover of power in Iraq was just completed today, two days early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 12:09PM 
Major

I never said I agreed with it. It actually pissed me off and I wrote her a very emotional (rawr!) email to quit sending me that shit. My email really didn't make much sense either, but I blame that on the emotional state I was in on the 12th. It still got me thinking though, but not in that conspiracy theory, alien abduction way.

How many people remember what they were doing on 9/11/01? I hope that I live to be 100 just so I can read about it in history books.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 3:33PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
The morning of 9/11/01 I was in my vo-tech drafting class, getting ready to start working on my sketches, when a teacher came running from down the hall and told us to turn our TVs on. We put stuff away and watched coverage for 2 solid hours. I saw both towers fall on live TV.

This all happened while the high school principal, after seeing the strike, pulled the school's master cable-in so nobody there could watch it. I went back over to Pre-Calc and nobody there had a clue one what was going on. So I told them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 3:43PM 
Major

I don't know, bagvwf...I had Accounting 2nd period and we had heard by then...but, then again, Mr. Penny had made an announcement. But if you remember, we were allowed to watch it during history classes...or at least, in Brown's class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 6:00PM 

I was still in high school, my senior year. What a year. It was 9:11am (no joke) as I was walking into English class and a friend of mine said he'd read on cnn.com that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. Details were so sketchy; he didn't know what size plane, and he didn't know what the weather conditions were. After all, a small plane had hit the side of the Empire State Building in 1945 due to extreme fog. I wrote it off as that and went about my English class as the first tower fell.

At 10:03, class let out and I went to the library for study hall. The librarian had just hastily set up a TV and we were watching live coverage on CBS. Despite the fact that every angle only showed ONE tower, Dan Rather kept insisting that they weren't sure if or how much of the other tower had collapsed. And then, when the second fell, all doubt was eliminated. They cut away from the middle of an interview to show the billowing smoke spreading across Manhattan, and Dan Rather, who had nothing to say, kept telling us to "absorb" the images put in front of us, since no words could do them justice. "Absorb." I can only absorb so much, and this was getting to be too much.

Parent-Teacher Night was planned for that night. It was cancelled. I saved one of the impromptu flyers put up around the school.

The next day in English class, I wrote a poem as we were reflecting as a class. It's called "26 Letters."

26 letters are all I have
To capture a full range of human emotions
Sadness, pain, anger, and fright—
The kind that keeps you up all night—
Disbelief of hearing, questioning of sight,
But nothing seems to come out right.
Perhaps I could express my feelings better
If I could ever find a 27th letter.

I wrote some other poetry, too, but I can't find it anymore. It wasn't as good; not that that's any good, but I can laud myself for being able to barf it up on the spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 6:41PM 
Major General

Source: Sigma Nu
Anonymous wrote:
...while hugging trees...

<i>hippies... hippies everywhere...they say they want to save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad... hippies... HIPPIES!!!</i>

-cartman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 7:08PM 
Major General

Interesting viewpoint. I kinda agree with it.

In this country we all seem to think that we are great, and the rest of the world is terrible and expendiable. Almost like the majority of the people think that the rest of the world's citizens aren't even human. This was especially evident shortly after 9/11 by all the people calling for us to nuke Afghanistan, even though there are millions of innocent people in Afghanistan who had no connection with 9/11, and only a limited number of terrorist scumbags.

Sadly, this country consumes massive amounts of resources. I've always heard that for everyone in the world, all six billion, to live at the same standard of living as the average American it would take 5 extra Earths to support them.

If you ever visit a developing country, you will see few, if any, people with obesity problems. Everyone is very skinny. This is because there simply isn't enough food to go around. Go walk around here in the USA, and have a look at the fifty or so percent of the population who has a weight problem. We (and I) expect a endless smorasgboard of food to be available constantly to feed our huge appetites.

9-11 was a terrible thing. Just because we have it better than other countries, just because we support other countries, is absolutley no reason for 3,000 innocent civillians to die. It was a wake up call that we aren't invincible, and bad things can happen, even in the greatest country in the world.

----------------

I remember 9-11 like it was yesterday. It was a beuatiful day, sunny and goergous. A nice late summer day perfect to spend outside. Until 8:00 am.

I was a Junior in HS at the time, sitting in Geometry class (yeah, i was a dumb slacker in HS). Brad, one of my friends, walked in the room for some reason, and mentioned something about a plane hitting the WTC. I didn't think anything of it at all, the thought crossed my mind that it was a Cessna or something. I went back to my work. After the block went over, i walked over to my Chemistry class. I walked in the room, to see the lights turned off and the teacher and a handfull of students huddling infront of the room's TV. I saw the footage of the burning rubble. I was shocked. I didn't know what to think. The whole hour and a half block my small Chem class watched the news. Wow....i was full of fear and worry.

In my last block of the day i was in my Ag Shop class. We watched some more news on the only TV in the room, a old black and white model with rabbit ears. Me and the other guys in the class discussed what was going on. We were thinking there would be a war, and we would all soon be drafted.

Then, we heard the rumor that gas had hit $5 a gallon in Springfield (closest decent sized city). After school i went and filled my truck up, to see gas lines thirty minutes long. I thought i could skip that and went to a country gas station near my house in the middle or nowhere, only to find that they were out of gas. I filled up my truck, and my borrowed my mom's truck to fill it up too. All the local stores were completley sold out of gas cans.

For the next week or so i was still in disbelief, and fairly scared. I had no opnion of Bush at the time, but i hoped that he would be a strong leader and do the right thing. After a week, life was back to normal. Living in a tiny Missouri small town off the beaten path, it really didn't affect us too much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 1:52AM 
Major General

Source: Sigma Nu
i was doing dishes as a pledge in my fraternity house. me and jason hibbits were doing our thang while listening to KZNN when they kept talking about the pentagon or something. so we went downstairs to watch the basement tv and saw both planes hit. pretty fucked up. you guys do realize that this will be THE thing we tell our kids, just as our parents can tell us exactly where they where and what they wbere doing when man first landed on the moon

in addition... i was a freshman here at UMR, and the thing that affected me the most was the images of people leaping from the building, and the camera following them (for the most part). that is <i>really</i> fucked up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 8:34AM 
Colonel

And the pictures that a few people took of the people AFTER they hit the ground. Images I'll never be able to scratch out of my mind. It's not like the movies, where they lay there, peacefully, after falling 100 stories. No, it's more akin to a squished bug on a windshield.

Anyway, a nonviolent human rights approach only works when both sides hold the same rights to be self evident. This is not the case here. Our society is outraged when we see an Iraqi prisoner paraded around naked. But there you see crowds cheering in the streets when an American gets his head sawed off with a knife. There are more than a few Muslims willing to blow themselves up if only to take a few of us with them. There is no way to appeal to someone who wants to see you dead more than he wants to live himself. If we had gone into Afghanistan or Iraq with open arms, flowers, and doves, we would have been mowed down and laughed at by the entire world.

There are plenty of Muslims who want peace as much as we do, and we are doing what we can to appeal to them. However, we have to be prepared to deal with the ones that would rather die than go along with the "Great Satan."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 10:56AM 

Unfortunately, it's always the horrible events that stick with us. Everybody who was alive and cognizant remembers where they were when Kennedy was shot, but few remember where they were when man landed on the moon.