* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 8:21AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 1:37PM 
Major General

Source: Altman Hall
the naked prophet wrote:
How the hell is Romney a conservative? Most democrats from rural states are far more conservative than he is. I'm voting Ron Paul in the primaries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul

Yep, there goes my vote. All except what has already been said about same sex marriage. Seems odd he wouldn't support them as well...

Anyway, the idea of universal health care scares me. I like my doctors keeping their practice sharp because they're competing for my business. I have some horror stories about universal health care... Just drop the ridiculous insurance that doctors have to take out and cap lawsuits. Prices will fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 1:50PM 
Brigadier General

Source: MechE Building
The only issue I have with him is the fact that he doesn't seem to take the threat or terrorist attacks as seriously as some (McCain, Romney, etc). Other than that, it appears I could completely support him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 2:40PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
atm314 wrote:
The only issue I have with him is the fact that he doesn't seem to take the threat or terrorist attacks as seriously as some (McCain, Romney, etc). Other than that, it appears I could completely support him.

I think it remains to be seen whether or not he would be hard on terrorists, but I get the impression he doesn't want to involve us in frivolous wars (see: Iraq).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 2:46PM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST Wireless
I'd rather be killed in a terrorist attack than rot in an "internment camp" or in jail with no habaeus corpus due to me being deemed a terrorist because of:

the books I check out at the library
the political beliefs I have
the fact that I own guns
the fact that I believe much of current law is unconstitutional
the fact that I actually read the constitution
the fact that I actually care about the constitution

I think the terrorists are better than the politicians - at least they're honest about their intentions.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 3:00PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
kjk437 wrote:
Yep, there goes my vote. All except what has already been said about same sex marriage. Seems odd he wouldn't support them as well...

Here's the thing. If he were president, what could he do to same-sex marriage that hasn't already been done? There's already a federal Defense of Marriage Act, and Congress seems to be in no hurry to repeal that. And if an anti-gay marriage Constitutional amendment gets passed, he has no control over it whatsoever.

I suppose he could play with the Supreme Court, but I don't see any of the other candidates flapping their arms and saying that they would nominate pro-gay-marriage judges, so this entire issue may be moot.

Meanwhile, more and more companies are extending the same employee benefits to same-sex couples that they do for hetero couples. So the news is not all bleak, even if we think the government has its head up its ass.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 3:08PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Off Campus
Ron Paul seems to be an excellent candidate for 2008. If he makes it through the primaries, I'd vote for him (he is technically libertarian after all), especially if the democrats do something stupid like appoint Hillary or Guiliani as their candidate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 3:50PM 
Brigadier General

Guiliani is (technically) a Republican. And I will agree with you, naked prophet, but one of the 3 main duties of the federal government is to provide national security. How we do this is another story, but I have no problem with public data mining. If its out there, then anyone can compile it.

And embodying the main reason why I will not vote Dem with the current crop, this excerpt from the Dem rebuttal to the SOTU:

Quote:
"Not one step back from the war against international terrorism. Not a precipitous withdrawal that ignores the possibility of further chaos," said Webb. "But an immediate shift toward strong regionally based diplomacy, a policy that takes our soldiers off the streets of Iraq's cities and a formula that will in short order allow our combat forces to leave Iraq."

How in the bloody hell is that even POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!??!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-24-2007 5:39PM 
Major

Could never see myself voting for Romney or Brownback. I really don't think this country needs more morality police. I guess I would throw Hillary into that crowd as well. Would consider:

1) McCain
2) Guiliani
3) Obama (distant third)

Ron Paul seems like an interesting choice, but I can't say I agree with his views on the gold standard.