* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 8:31AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:13PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ South
atm314 wrote:
Yes, this year's hurricane season was to be the worst on record: basically nothing happened. That has been the only verifiable prediction I have heard made, and it was flat wrong. Species have been going extinct for millinea, and some have been due to climate change. Many things cause climate change, not just humans. Also, what are you basing the dT/dt on? You say its rapid, buit rapid compared to what? Is it faster than it was in the 1930s? Well sure, but is it more rapid than the one 3 million years ago? Who knows? We have so little data to compare our findings to that it's impossible to make any legit claims. All the climate models out there have yet to predict weather with any sort of accuracy, just as any in the past couldn't.

Im just basing it off the chart, comparing the slopes of past era's to a 5 degree jump in the past 1000 years. Im also using the famed Hockey Stick graph to assume that dT/dt has increased since 1900

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:22PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Wilson Library
see here for how I feel about the "Hockey Stick graph

Also, about the pre-permian warming jump which led to mass extinction, it wasn't caused by humans, so that proves that nature does what it wants, regardless of what we may want.

EDIT: fixed grammar.

Last edited by atm314 on Sat 03-17-2007 4:36PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:28PM 
Colonel

atm314 wrote:
see for how I feel about the "Hockey Stick graph

Also, about the pre-permian warming jump which led to mass extinction, it wasn't caused by humans, so that proves that nature does what it wants, regardless of what we may want.

It proves that Temperature jumps lead to extinction, and the temperature jump that we are experiencing now is caused by us and if we let it accelerate un-curbed it will lead to bad stuff. Im not even sure what it will lead to, but i know taht it wont be good.

That facebook group doesnt offer any scientific backing for its slamming of the UN group. aside from the fact that greenland was once properly labeled.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:33PM 
Brigadier General

It;s not a group, its a note, and if you looked at the sources, and looked at the charts (here) you would note that the hockey stick graph is basically bullshit.

This is the story that initiated my writing of that note, also a good read, including his well done sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:45PM 
Colonel

atm314 wrote:
It;s not a group, its a note, and if you looked at the sources, and looked at the charts (here) you would note that the hockey stick graph is basically bullshit.

This is the story that initiated my writing of that note, also a good read, including his well done sources.

Wow, he does do a very good job with his sources and I see his point. Just because the UN bumbled a report, and bumbled it badly, doesnt mean that global warming isn't caused by humans. and i doesnt mean that global warming doesn't lead to bad things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:50PM 
Brigadier General

That is true, it doesn't. But there is no evidence that it IS either. It is possible that global warming is human caused, but from the evidence I see (the fact that we cannot change anything about it, no matter what we do [I agree, that is a weak arguement, as the damage may already been done], the fact that Mars also appears to be warming, and the fact that the earth has been warmer [much warmer] in the past) man-made global warming has very little backing, and the fact that it has been accepted as gospel is a complete travasty.

And it may lead to bad things, it may lead to good things. We have been cultivating the Midwest for years, having more plains with a warm climate may boost food outpout (just an example, for all I know it's complete bullshit, just something that popped into my head.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 4:56PM 
Colonel

Even if human's don't cause global warming, we still cause a huge amount of pollution. If There isn't a huge push to reduce emmission's for the sake of global warming, there should be a push to reduce them for the sake of pollution.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 8:20PM 
Lieutenant General

Source: Fidelity
atm314 wrote:
What do you want him to do? Make already unrealistic fuel economy goals even more out there? Require all power plants to get rid of CO2 emissions? a) all this stuff is LUDICROUSLY expensive and b) we don't even know if its the root cause of the problem!

The earth has been warmer in the past, the earth will be warmer in the future. Mars is warming as well. I went and did a bunch of research on global warming last semester, here is what I came up with. Note: I don't deny that the earth is warming, nor do I deny the fact that we should try to limit the amount of crap we put into the air/water/whatever. However, there is a big difference between saying that we should try to be less wasteful and wanting the president to put all his focus on a "problem" that we probably can't even do anything about. Even those calling for the Kyoto Protocols realize that even perfect implementation will have next to no effect on global climate.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03-17-2007 10:21PM 
Debunker of Llamas

Source: Off Campus
Galvatron96 wrote:
It proves that Temperature jumps lead to extinction

It actually doesn't prove anything. Do you know that the two events are corelated? Maybe the mass extinction triggered a temperature change?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-18-2007 10:15AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Galvatron96 wrote:
Even if human's don't cause global warming, we still cause a huge amount of pollution. If There isn't a huge push to reduce emmission's for the sake of global warming, there should be a push to reduce them for the sake of pollution.

lol you lose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-18-2007 1:30PM 
Colonel

karl wrote:
Galvatron96 wrote:

lol you lose

It wasnt so much a competition as an argument, way to contribute btw

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-18-2007 4:08PM 
Colonel

Source: MST Wireless
Galvatron96 wrote:
karl wrote:
Galvatron96 wrote:

lol you lose

It wasnt so much a competition as an argument, way to contribute btw

Well atm et al did such a good job I didn't have to add anything, but would have if needed. Would it make you feel better if I said 'you were on the the side of the argument for which there was much less (practically zero) significant evidence?' And, while you may claim that you are able to find 'credible' sources that warn about us causing global warming, you will also find in ALL reports of this sort (including the IPCC) expressions of the vast errors involved and outlandish assumptions made in coming up with their conclusions.