* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:08AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Schools Ban Homework!?
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 9:53PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Kelly Hall
Article: http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/topst ... 20730.html

Does anyone know which UM system schoold conducted this research. I need a copy of this paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 10:15PM 
Lieutenant General

Source: Fidelity
We need a name change that uses neither University or Missouri now.... :(

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 10:52PM 
Brigadier General

jthxv wrote:
We need a name change that uses neither University or Missouri now.... :(

I don't see what is so embarrassing about the research. I believe the results of the study because I'm sure at the high school level it probably does help the average student. It works differently for different people, even here. Some people are begging for homework to offset bad test grades and others are willing to bet everything on 2-3 tests.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 11:04PM 
Lieutenant General

While I don't beleive in the theory that more is better, I think that kids should have homework, even in elementary school. I don't have any research, but I think that a little homework is good to prepare them for higher grades...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 11:18PM 
Major General

I don't remember getting any homework until the 6th grade or so. I did very little homework all through school now that I think of it (and got crappy grades), but going to UMR has given me all the HW I even need....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 11:29PM 
Lieutenant General

I didn't get much, but learning to do something without a teacher standing over your shoulder telling you to over and over was a good thing IMHO.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-04-2007 11:57PM 
Brigadier General

I really didn't have much until 5th grade (just mad minutes and the like), but after that it was quite a bit. Although I may have hated it then, it did help me develop some semblance of time management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 2:15PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
There is no real connection between homework and learning. I've personally never believed in it, and the usual assumptions about its benefits lack good evidence.

There may be some use for it in higher grades, but I'm glad they're getting homework out of elementary school.

The win.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 2:22PM 
Colonel

I had all kinds of homework starting around third or fourth grade. Starting in fourth grade I had to work on "independent study projects." You had to go to the library and get all kinds of sources, keep track of a bibliography, turn in X amount of notecards per week, turn in several drafts, present a posterboard, all kinds of stuff. Everything had to be typed out. My school made us do science fairs too, which was at least the same amount of work. I had to learn how to count in binary in fourth grade (did you know the Korean flag has links to binary numbers? Well my class did).

I feel that I didn't get anything out of it and it was just a frustrating waste of time. My parents thought it was ridiculous too. A ten year old kid has better things to do (like play SNES).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 3:39PM 
Brigadier General

I always hated the notecard approach to papers. It's retarded, you don't learn anything, and, well, it's retarded. I always ended up turning in some half-assed notecards whenever they were due and the just sitting down and writing the damn thing. I think some teachers sat down and decided they knew best for all the students on how to research papers. I think ~5 mins of hw a night for 4th graders is acceptable, perhaps even earlier than that, but still.

<rant>
As for science fair projects, damn I hated those. I had to do a class one 4th grade and then an individual one every year there after. The part that pissed me off the most was that they kept changing the first year. When I was in 5th grade, that was the first year our school did them. Then when I was in 6th grade they were a middle school thing (we started "middle school" in 6th grade). My 7th and 8th grade years they were for 7th and 8th graders. I think a year or 2 after I started hs they were abolished all together.
</rant>

Anyhow, while I feel some homework is good, it shouldn't be more than a half-hour max until middle school (well, unless you put off said paper until the night before (like I always did/do), then it's your own damn fault and you should get no sympathy (which I didn't/don't))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 5:16PM 
Colonel

I totally agree with you, atm314. By the way, where is your sig from? I could have sworn I read it in one of my EE textbooks. It sounds really familiar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 5:42PM 
Brigadier General

Only one of your textbooks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 6:44PM 
Major

Hitchhiker's, right?

EDIT: BTW, I still use notecards... got about 200 here for various papers this semester... and I feel they're keeping me really organized. Depends on who you are, though. Also, just because my sister and brother and I had little to no discipline growing up I feel that there needs to be SOME form of homework (even if it's just asking mommy or daddy what their favorite food is) to encourage responsibility young.

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-05-2007 8:41PM 
Lieutenant General

LuvMyTreefrogs wrote:
Hitchhiker's, right?

EDIT: BTW, I still use notecards... got about 200 here for various papers this semester... and I feel they're keeping me really organized. Depends on who you are, though. Also, just because my sister and brother and I had little to no discipline growing up I feel that there needs to be SOME form of homework (even if it's just asking mommy or daddy what their favorite food is) to encourage responsibility young.

I am starting to believe some people are just driven to succeed, where others couldn't care less. I blame mine more of stubbornness than anything else....

Profile E-mail