What bill? 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
I don't care. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Legislation to allow federal education funds to fight P2P
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 10:08AM 
Lieutenant

Source: MST Wireless
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... t-p2p.html

The article is up on /. too, but I wanted to be cool and cite one of the original articles.

Basically, the bill being introduced would allow universities to use certain types of government funding to combat P2P (pirating for the most part). That's the quick and dirty. There's definitely more to it than that, so read the article and tell me what you think.

Personally, like many, I don't see this ever being passed. However, it's still scary that people in higher places are dreaming this stuff up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 10:30AM 
Lieutenant General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Oh yeah, it will pass. There is an insane amount of money out there that would like to see this happen.... so it will.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 10:48AM 
Major

Source: TJ North
I'll agree that the government right now is basically under the the MPAA and RIAA's thumbs, one look at the DMCA or the recent changes for internet radio will tell you that, but I don't see this as being an easy one for them. I haven't had the chance to read the whole article yet (I am at work), but this just kind of screams out state vs. federal rights.

First off, control of education is already accepted as a right of the states. Passing a federal law in this respect usually doesn't go over well. Secondly, we (UMR) are a state school. What can they do? Cut our federal research funding?

It just doesn't make sense to me yet. Maybe when I learn more about it I'll get worried.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 10:53AM 
Lieutenant General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Gamer Donkey wrote:
I'll agree that the government right now is basically under the the MPAA and RIAA's thumbs, one look at the DMCA or the recent changes for internet radio will tell you that, but I don't see this as being an easy one for them. I haven't had the chance to read the whole article yet (I am at work), but this just kind of screams out state vs. federal rights.

First off, control of education is already accepted as a right of the states. Passing a federal law in this respect usually doesn't go over well. Secondly, we (UMR) are a state school. What can they do? Cut our federal research funding?

It just doesn't make sense to me yet. Maybe when I learn more about it I'll get worried.

I don't know anything about it, I just look at where the money is, and that is what I figure is going to happen....

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 11:14AM 
Lieutenant

Source: MST Wireless
From what I got out of the article, it seemed to me like it was some epidemic that schools couldn't afford to cure. Thus, this bill would allow them to take money out of certain funds that could only be spent on certain education-related (not administrative) costs. That's my beef.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 11:59AM 
Major

Source: Pine Street
Even though it shouldn't pass, it will.

For the people that don't think it will pass... how smart (technologically) do you think politicians in general are? And how much money do you think they get in "campaign contributions" from RIAA and MPAA?

"When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends."
-Japanese Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 1:53PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
Gamer Donkey wrote:
First off, control of education is already accepted as a right of the states. Passing a federal law in this respect usually doesn't go over well.

LOL!!! Since when? Just cause it says in the US Constitution, doesn't mean they can't do it their way!

Seriously, the Feds control schools in just about every way already. The states just do the secretary work.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 2:32PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
the naked prophet wrote:
Gamer Donkey wrote:
First off, control of education is already accepted as a right of the states. Passing a federal law in this respect usually doesn't go over well.

LOL!!! Since when? Just cause it says in the US Constitution, doesn't mean they can't do it their way!

Seriously, the Feds control schools in just about every way already. The states just do the secretary work.

Actually, the states really are the ones who are supposed to run it. If you want some proof, just look here (not in-depth, but a handy tab that was already open). Stuff like the No Child Left Behind Act is new, and shows a big shift against states' rights.

No matter the case, after reading the whole thing I'm even less worried. By tacking it onto a fund that already exists and that the schools control, it's really more of a symbolic move than anything else. Most colleges aren't going to take money away from their federal scholarships to combat file sharing.

Profile E-mail