Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:55PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04-18-2007 10:55PM 
Brigadier General

Source: TJ South
These kids were joking on the front page, the only difference is he has a picture. The picture is the same as saying "omg hes lara croft!" when other kids were saying it was CS, etc etc.

So stfu unless you want damn near everyone on the first page banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04-18-2007 11:49PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
berto wrote:
These kids were joking on the front page, the only difference is he has a picture. The picture is the same as saying "omg hes lara croft!" when other kids were saying it was CS, etc etc.

So stfu unless you want damn near everyone on the first page banned.

The person who made the first comment regarding video games was pointing out that many, many people are going to blame this on video games, and if you read into that post at all then you would have seen that. It's ridiculous to blame it on video games because if you're watching the news at all, his roommates said this guy didn't play video games.

The CS comment that followed wasn't approriate. But how is one comment "damn near everyone on the first page." And if you think that it's okay to post that tomb raider picture, then you shouldn't be on this forum either. How the fuck could you support bullshit like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04-18-2007 11:56PM 
Brigadier General

jeff wrote:
The person who made the first comment regarding video games was pointing out that many, many people are going to blame this on video games, and if you read into that post at all then you would have seen that. It's ridiculous to blame it on video games because if you're watching the news at all, his roommates said this guy didn't play video games.

The CS comment that followed wasn't approriate. But how is one comment "damn near everyone on the first page." And if you think that it's okay to post that tomb raider picture, then you shouldn't be on this forum either. How the fuck could you support bullshit like that.

You're right. The second, third, and fifth posts aren't jokes at all. And if you actually read into my post, you would realize that nowhere did I agree with what he posted but I'm instead pointing out the fact that you can't crucify one kid on this forum and not crucify the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 04-18-2007 11:59PM 
Major General

Holy shit folks. I think that picture was totally inappropriate, but it doesn't call for this ridiculous backlash.

If I post a funny picture of Hitler, am I going to get the same treatment? I mean, he killed millions of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:02AM 
Colonel

berto wrote:
These kids were joking

berto wrote:
posts aren't jokes

Come on.

You said they were jokes, that's why I said what I said to you. And what you are saying about the one vs. all thing is completely agreeable, but posting a picture like that other guy did is so past the line that him being a member on this forum doesn't do anyone any good. I'm not the only one taken back by that image.

Last edited by jeff on Thu 04-19-2007 12:06AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:03AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: TJ North
it was highly inappropriate, and not at all funny. while everyone has a right to be an asshole, i would have no problem with a mod removing the post.

outright banning? i'm sure stupider things have been done on seek without a ban. just make it his permanent avatar, give him the title "douchebag" or "asshole" so everybody knows what a bastard he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:05AM 
Colonel

kjk437 wrote:
Holy shit folks. I think that picture was totally inappropriate, but it doesn't call for this ridiculous backlash.

If I post a funny picture of Hitler, am I going to get the same treatment? I mean, he killed millions of people.

You wouldn't post that, that's the thing. Fuck this. If others seem to think this bullshit is acceptable material for this forum then fine. I'm done trying to maintain some level of morals. It's a lost cause here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:06AM 
Brigadier General

jeff wrote:
Come on.

You said they were jokes, that's why I said what I said to you. And what you are saying about the one vs. all thing is completely agreeable, but pasting a picture like that other guy did is so past the line that him being a member on this forum doesn't do anyone any good. I'm not the only one taken back by that image.

I'm not sure why you quoted those two seeing how the second one was sarcasm and emphasizing my first one. I only made the rebuttal in lieu of your 'one post' comment. And as for the picture, yeah, I've already said I agreed. =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:27AM 
Major General

jeff wrote:
You wouldn't post that, that's the thing. Fuck this. If others seem to think this bullshit is acceptable material for this forum then fine. I'm done trying to maintain some level of morals. It's a lost cause here.

You're trying to maintain your level of morals. They aren't necessarily held by everyone else. Again, I'll say that I wouldn't have posted the picture, and given the situation I think it was inappropriate, but why in God's name are you out for blood. Jokes are made all the time about tragic events. There exists jokes about the Holocaust for God's sake. The Holocaust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:42AM 
Brigadier General

ughhh, your sig sucks. concealed weapons COULD have saved lives. and at birth, i COULD have shot out my mother's mouth. there is always a could have but I hate gun's rights activists jumping all over tragedies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 12:51AM 
Major General

berto wrote:
ughhh, your sig sucks. concealed weapons COULD have saved lives. and at birth, i COULD have shot out my mother's mouth. there is always a could have but I hate gun's rights activists jumping all over tragedies.

No, I'm not, but this situation serves a great point. My uncle gave me a first hand account of watching students jump out of the building where the shootings happened and the grief he is going through with a personal friend of his dying. He talked about it here on Larry King:

Dr. William Knocke wrote:
Dr. William Knocke joins us. He's head of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at Virginia Tech. And was friend of the late professor G.V . Loganathan who was killed in the campus massacre. How close were you and he?

DR. WILLIAM KNOCKE, PROFESSOR, VIRGINIA TECH: Dr. Loganathan and I have been colleagues for approximately 25 years. He was a very close and dear personal friend. A true colleague. As I think about G.V., I think of someone who was totally pure in heart. Someone who had great respect for his students, be they Ph.D. students, sophomore students, whatever, he loved them all.

KING: Where were you when the events occurred?

KNOCKE: My office is in Patton Hall and the windows out of my office look directly on Norris Hall. So I saw students jumping out of the windows, I heard gunfire. I saw the police surrounding the building and bringing students out. It was a very surreal experience to observe.

KING: How did you find out about your friend?

KNOCKE: Well, we did not find out officially about his situation until last evening. We kept hoping and praying during the day that we would get good news for he and we lost eight students in our department as well. And throughout the day, we had hope hoped -- hoped beyond hope that we would find out something positive. But unfortunately in the end, all were deceased.

KING: How do you equate this to yourself? How do you deal with it?

KNOCKE: Well, it has been a very rocky day-and-a-half. We have received tremendous support from around the world. I literally have hundreds of e-mails on my computer back in the office. Every time I stop by, there's more there. People that I quite honestly even don't know from our places, friends I haven't talked to in 20 years from prior sabbaticals and the like who have called or contacted us.

The outpouring for our department and for the individuals impacted has been simply overwhelming and much needed.

KING: Thank you, Dr. Knocke.

I will get to feel this impact of this probably (and I say probably, because someone might know someone closer to the event to me) more than anyone else on this board, and yet I still feel that it is my responsibility to say what I have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 1:02AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
kjk437 wrote:
Concealed weapons could have saved dozens of lives at VT.

Heres how I see this being played out. One guy walks into a room and shoots some people. Another guy from another room comes in after that guy leaves with his gun drawn. Some kid pissing himself under the table pulls out his gun and shoots the first other kid he sees with a gun. When most people are scared of their life they don't think. Guns kill people, they don't build houses or bake cakes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 1:03AM 
bertowned
bertowned

berto wrote:

This is not a tragedy.

Oedipus is a tragedy. Leonidas and 300 Spartans is a tragedy.

The heinous crime at VT is nothing more than cold blooded murder. It was preventable. And while a lot of things are preventable, what matters is how we change ourselves to make sure they don't happen again. If we take nothing away from this incident, and don't improve ourselves: who is to say it won't be worse?

Allowing responsible adults to carry guns at places like VT is one way we can improve ourselves. Enforcing the "gun free" zone with metal detectors , search teams, and tight security at EVERY ENTRANCE to the 2600 acre campus is another way to do this. Converting the atmosphere to lead and thereby killing all mankind would also stop crimes like these. While in a Utopian society, people don't need guns to defend themselves, it seems that in this case allowing responsible adults to carry weapons is the most effective and least intrusive way of preventing such incidents from occurring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 1:06AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Fall0ut-Boy wrote:
kjk437 wrote:
Concealed weapons could have saved dozens of lives at VT.

Heres how I see this being played out. One guy walks into a room and shoots some people. Another guy from another room comes in after that guy leaves with his gun drawn. Some kid pissing himself under the table pulls out his gun and shoots the first other kid he sees with a gun. When most people are scared of their life they don't think. Guns kill people, they don't build houses or bake cakes.

why didn't the first kid pissing under the table just shoot the crazy fucker bent on a suicidal rampage in the first place? Oh. Right. He wasn't allowed to have a gun, and because he's afraid of being charged with a felony and having his life go down the toilet (by having a gun) - the crazy fucker bent on a suicidal rampage who doesn't give a fuck about anyone kills the guy pissing under the table too.

EDIT: shit i just realized this tread is turning back into gun legislation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-19-2007 4:53AM 
Major

Wow. I'm suprised that no one seems to have brought up some of the issues surrounding the way students were notified. Anyone think that the bulk of the murders could have been prevented given some better system of notification. At VT they just sent out e-mails, way too late to do any good. Didn't the exact same thing happen here not so long ago. Thankfully it was a bluff. Some schools employ an opt-in text messaging service for situations like this, as well as for power outages, inclamite (sp?) weather, etc.

Edit:
Here is the fourth page of one of Cho's play's:

I don't know what to say about this. One of those things that just speaks for itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next