Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 4:38PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
LuvMyTreefrogs wrote:
atm314 wrote:
BigPeeOn wrote:
atm314 wrote:
oh come now, Glocks are ugly, plastic, and made by furrners (to quote Kim du Toit). A 1911 is a much more aesthetically pleasing choice ;)

(to make it clear that I harbor no hostility: there are many perfectly acceptable reasons to buy a glock, but none apply to me, so that's why I'm saving for a Para-Ordinance 1911)

You, sir, have good taste in firearms.

1911's and Colt's single action army revolvers are where it's at.

Why thank you. And I can't think of a better looking revolver either.

How are you supposed to conceal that?

Concealing something that pretty is a crime against aesthetics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 4:42PM 
Lieutenant General

Agentzak wrote:
LuvMyTreefrogs wrote:
atm314 wrote:
BigPeeOn wrote:
atm314 wrote:
oh come now, Glocks are ugly, plastic, and made by furrners (to quote Kim du Toit). A 1911 is a much more aesthetically pleasing choice ;)

(to make it clear that I harbor no hostility: there are many perfectly acceptable reasons to buy a glock, but none apply to me, so that's why I'm saving for a Para-Ordinance 1911)

You, sir, have good taste in firearms.

1911's and Colt's single action army revolvers are where it's at.

Why thank you. And I can't think of a better looking revolver either.

How are you supposed to conceal that?

like this

That is a crazy awesome video... so long as it is muted.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 4:45PM 
Brigadier General

I didn't care too much for the commentary either.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 6:14PM 
Major

Ooookay, how do I conceal it if I don't want to dress myself in clothes three times my size? Only place I can think of is my purse, and what's the most likely to be taken from my person? Bingo.

...like I can fit a friggin' shotgun in my jeans, get real... :lol:

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 7:04PM 
Lieutenant General

LuvMyTreefrogs wrote:
Ooookay, how do I conceal it if I don't want to dress myself in clothes three times my size? Only place I can think of is my purse, and what's the most likely to be taken from my person? Bingo.

...like I can fit a friggin' shotgun in my jeans, get real... :lol:

It is all I can do to keep from making a lewd suggestion, but here is a real suggestion... although if you were tight jeans, that still wouldn't work too great...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 9:46PM 
Major

Cute idea, but garter holsters are so much sexier.

However, that little Latex getup looks like it could have the torso-slimming potential of some brands of pantyhose...

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 10:36PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
I would rather have a Walther PPK. However I would rather have this then a pistol. It is cheaper, looks better, and never needs ammo. Plus I don't think that anyone would fu*k with you if you were walking around with that strapped to your hip. But you would also need one of these for close quarters. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 11:17PM 
bertowned
bertowned

i don't think anyone would take you seriously if you walked around looking like a guy obsessed with ninja games...

edit: not that swords aren't cool, i just think they're not very suitable for wearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-27-2007 11:25PM 
Brigadier General

killerofall wrote:
However I would rather have this then a pistol.

Out of all of the threads you could've posted that in, you pick this one? Don't get me wrong, sharp objects are very powerful weapons if used effectively but I find it ironic that you picked this particular thread to make that statement since the video was a guy with a knife getting shot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 1:43AM 
Colonel

I agree that someone wearing a sword would look strange but I would also think that they would be at least a little crazy and who wants to mess with a crazy person? Plus I am sure that he wasn't trained on how to kill with a knife and if I got a sword I would make sure that I knew how to use it. You also need to remember that most people aren't a good shot and I know how to dodge (at distance anyway). Sword > knife. Knife ~6 inches long, sword ~ 40 inches long.

Seriously I don't think that I will ever get a gun or a sword to use to defend myself. I might buy a gun for range shooting or a sword for display. Plus swords need to be cleaned every 3 months or whenever you touch the blade (skin oil is bad for the steel).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 9:32AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST Wireless
I have to disagree that a sword would be better than a knife. True, at bad-breath distances, a knife may be more deadly than a gun, in the hands of a skilled knife-fighter, versus the average person with little pistol time. A sword, by its nature, is not as good at those close ranges, precisely because it's larger.

Col. Cooper said "time and distance favor the skilled gunman." If you get in close enough, that negates some of your opponents skill. You can't get too close with a sword, but with a knife, you can kill someone while hugging them. Of course, there are gun techniques (like firing from a retention position, gun nearly in your armpit, tilted away from your body) that work at such close range.

I sure wouldn't want to be in a knife fight, but I sure wouldn't want to use a knife to attack me with a pistol, either. I'd take a guy with a sword over a guy with a knife - the guy with the sword can't get too close to me, and I've got an advantage at all ranges but contact. I'd take a guy with a knife over a guy with a screwdriver, too - an inexperienced person with a knife slashes, whereas the same person with a screwdriver will stab. It's the stabs that kill you, a slash might be nasty, but you'll probably survive it.

I agree that an openly carried sword may be a deterrent, but if they want your sword, now they know you have it, and they have incentive to plan an ambush. If they didn't know you were armed, they wouldn't have any particular extra reason to target you. That's why I carry concealed and not openly.

In every case though, the single most important thing is not the weapon. Training is more important than the weapon (I'm on campus right now, and don't have my carry gun - but I have a legal pocketknife, there's a screwdriver, scissors, pens/pencils, and about a bazillion things that could be used as a club if necessary, sitting on my desk), and if you've got the mindset that you're going to survive any attack on your person, you'll use whatever tools are around you to fend off the attack.

But even training can only benefit you if you're already in a fight. The single most important thing is avoiding the fight in the first place. Avoid bad locations, and don't hang out with stupid people who are likely to get you into the kind of situation where you might have to fight for your life. Don't start stuff. Pay attention to your surroundings, and listen to your instincts. Don't let yourself get ambushed. You should be able to notice someone following you, or someone watching you.

Carrying a gun won't make you safer. It's the lifestyle change that makes you safer, and the gun is merely the last, and least likely to be used, layer in that change. That change is recognizing that there's bad people out there, that yes it can happen to you, realizing that you are the only one responsible for your safety, and deciding to do something about it. The rest is tactics.

[edited for speeling]

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

Last edited by the naked prophet on Tue 08-28-2007 2:34PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 11:00AM 
Colonel

If you saw my last link you would see that there are short swords ~16 inches long called Tantos that would be great at close range, in fact they were made to be used indoors where you wouldn't take a longer sword. Plus they are small enough to carry concealed and you don't need a permit for one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 12:28PM 
Lieutenant General

killerofall wrote:
If you saw my last link you would see that there are short swords ~16 inches long called Tantos that would be great at close range, in fact they were made to be used indoors where you wouldn't take a longer sword. Plus they are small enough to carry concealed and you don't need a permit for one of those.

ACTUALLY, I believe by the letter of the law, you DO need a LTC in order to legally carry a blade longer than 4"

MO Statute wrote:
(10) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

Emphasis mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 1:25PM 
bertowned
bertowned

imagines butcher/chef getting arrested while walking outside carrying a knife (ie to accept a delivery or take the trash out)

i've done this with cooking utensils a time or two myself (though never with a massive knife - that tends to scare the postman away)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 1:47PM 
Drowning

it isnt concealed

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail