All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New iPods revealed
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 2:14PM 
Major General

Source: Altman Hall
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/ipod ... -official/

and

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/05/apples-new-ipod/

If only they would have put a non flash high capacity hard drive on that damn iPod touch and I would purchase one immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 3:30PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
if only i had $300 and hadnt just warantee'd my ipod and got a new one. and it isnt just 16 freaking gigs!

yes, i am Shatner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 3:58PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
touch ipod = iphone - phone = cool

classic ipod w/ massive hard drives for cheap = cool

new nano = gay + fugly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 4:59PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
how can they call it the ipod classic? for one it isn't that old and the "classic" on didn't have a button wheel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 5:46PM 
Major General

Well, I bought the iPhone Touch 8 gig. Since it's not like I'd be able to fit my entire music collection on either the 8 or 16 gig versions, I went for the cheaper one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 7:51PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Altman Hall
I plan on getting one, but I'm torn between the 80gb iPod Classic and the 8gb iPod Touch. Obviously, the touch only has a tenth of the capacity (which sucks) and costs $50 more, but I'm really liking the display and the WiFi on that thing. I'm really leaning toward that at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 8:02PM 
Major General

The Touch is cool, but I've got 60 gigs of music and want to carry it around. If I just want something to carry a small chunk of my library, I'll just get a bigger SD card for my phone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 9:57PM 
Brigadier General

How many people actually listen to their entire library on their iPods? I have about 60gbs of music but only 7gb of those are on my 3+ stars playlist that I listen to mostly so I could easily see myself going with less space to save some money.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 10:23PM 
Major General

Colossians3 wrote:
I plan on getting one, but I'm torn between the 80gb iPod Classic and the 8gb iPod Touch. Obviously, the touch only has a tenth of the capacity (which sucks) and costs $50 more, but I'm really liking the display and the WiFi on that thing. I'm really leaning toward that at the moment.

I'll have mine by the end of September, so I'll let you check it out first hand if you want to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 10:43PM 
Major General

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
How many people actually listen to their entire library on their iPods? I have about 60gbs of music but only 7gb of those are on my 3+ stars playlist that I listen to mostly so I could easily see myself going with less space to save some money.

Well of course, I'm not going to listen to my entire 60 gig iPod in one sitting, but it's still nice to know that I have every single song I, um, own, on my iPod for me to listen to in case for some odd reason, I feel like it. Which isn't quite the case since I have 80 gigs of music and a 60 gig iPod, but I have almost everything.

I went out of town over the summer, and while waiting at the airport and while on the plane, I went through the albums on my iPod and listened to some stuff that I never listened to before...albums I didn't even know I had (I've, um, bought stuff just for the sake of having it...), and now have a few new favorite artists and albums. For example, I didn't know how much ass Dillinger Escape Plan kicked until I randomly decided to listen to it on the plane. If I had an iPod Touch, or some other device with only a small handful of my favorite albums on it, I would never discover any new music since I'd be listening to the same crap over and over.

Plus, its another backup of my music collection, which I'd hate to lose. Although I have a RAID1 array for my music, so I suppose that point is moot.

I'd be willing to sacrifice battery life and be willing to have a slightly thicker iPod Touch if it had the 160 gig hard drive the classic has. I'd order it right now if Apple had that. For now though, I suppose I'll stick with my 5G 60 iPod. As nice as the 160 gig classic sounds, I'll pass on it right now since it doesn't really offer any new features (I couldn't give 2 shits about CoverFlow), and not having all of my music on my iPod isn't a big deal. As long as I have most, I'm happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 10:46PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
kjk437 wrote:
I'll have mine by the end of September, so I'll let you check it out first hand if you want to see it.

Yeah, that would be cool (unless I buy one before then).

At this point, I think I'm leaning back toward the 80gb iPod Classic. I love the iTouch, but I think it's more than I need. When it all comes down to it, it's a glorified (yet stripped down) PDA. In the past, I've tried several pretty nice PDAs but never ended up using them as much as I thought I would. Besides, I have a pretty nice phone (LG Chocolate) that works pretty well for web browsing.

Really, all I want in an iPod is the ability to store my entire music collection (along with a few videos) and be able to replace my crappy uber-sensitive CD player in my car, either by cassette adapter or FM transmitter. Oh, and I like really good battery life.

By the way, is there a noticeable difference in quality between a cassette adapter and an FM transmitter?

Wow, I just realized that this is probably the most boring, irrelevant post of the day. My bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 11:00PM 
Colonel

I'm debating between the 8GB iPod Touch and the 8GB iPhone. i want multi touch and Wifi so it's either of those... I can't decide if the phone and e-mail is worth it or not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 11:07PM 
Major General

I think the iPhone is one of the biggest jokes to hit the cell phone market, and I say this as a huge Apple fanboy. I say stick with the iPod, but that's just me. But no expensive phone should prevent you from using IM and 3rd party apps (natively, not with all of the retarded hacks that may not work after the next firmware updates) and should have MMS support. Oh, and locking to at&t is just retarded. I'd at least consider it if I could use it with T-Mobile, because I refuse to ever go back to at&t.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-07-2007 8:01AM 
Major General

Colossians3 wrote:
kjk437 wrote:

By the way, is there a noticeable difference in quality between a cassette adapter and an FM transmitter?

Cassette adapters have always (in my experience) provided a better sound than FM transmitters. You kinda have to find the sweet spot for the volume on the ipod to stay at though, otherwise you put out more than the adapter can handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 12:22PM 
Lieutenant

Source: RC I
maybe if you guys wait...they'll come out with more GBs

patience :wink: