* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:08AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 8:58PM 
Lieutenant General

Source: Fidelity
Agentzak wrote:
That's what she said. I highly doubt that it is true. Just driving around campus during the summer was way different than Rolla though.

But, Florida isn't in the midwest, and only people in the midwest know about UMR. Did you put MUST on your resume or something?

I know I am an asshole. I am sorry, I couldn't resist. That is just such a BS argument...

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 9:08PM 
Brigadier General

I know what you mean about making everything a free speech zone but somehow the powers that be are allowed to designate specific areas for protesting.

As far as UMR being known inside the midwest, it is true. My employers didn't actually know about UMR. They were just so impressed that I was willing to drive 1,000 miles just to work for them and that I wasn't just another Gator from UF that they wanted to give me a shot. The funny part was that my boss who hired me was from UF and he was sick of hearing how good the Gators are. My first day, he introduced me to the Vice President of the plant because he mistakenly thought we went to the same school since the VP went to Mizzou. Yes, I was an intern at a place where the highest guy on site went to Mizzou. The irony.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 9:15PM 
Lieutenant General

BigPeeOn wrote:
Agentzak wrote:
I was at UF this summer since I worked nearby. When I was walking around with my friends, they pointed out that there are "free speech areas." Basically there are areas of grass where people can say/do anything. From what I understand, you can say all the bad words and public nudity you want. The place where this video took place was not one of those "free speech areas."

Not that I agree with the tazed guy (I don't, he was resisting arrest) but isn't our whole country supposed ot be a "free speech area"?

They didn't try to censor him (at least that I saw) they tried to remove a disturbance from the building. Free speech didn't necessarily enter into it. I doubt anyone would say that the guy wasn't being a disturbance, and they probably had a time limit on the question he could ask, since Kerry problem cost them 50k+...

Well, my job is in PA in December, and one of my buddies has a job offer in Florida and Texas.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 10:23AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
The guy who posted this video on Youtube, claims that the kid came running in with a few cops already behind him.

It sounds to me like the kid, for whatever reason, didn't attempt to properly ask his question to start with. He must have been doing something else that was uncalled for or out of hand before he even got in the building...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 11:57AM 
Colonel

Source: Fulton Hall
jthxv wrote:
BigPeeOn wrote:
Agentzak wrote:
I was at UF this summer since I worked nearby. When I was walking around with my friends, they pointed out that there are "free speech areas." Basically there are areas of grass where people can say/do anything. From what I understand, you can say all the bad words and public nudity you want. The place where this video took place was not one of those "free speech areas."

Not that I agree with the tazed guy (I don't, he was resisting arrest) but isn't our whole country supposed ot be a "free speech area"?

They didn't try to censor him (at least that I saw) they tried to remove a disturbance from the building. Free speech didn't necessarily enter into it. I doubt anyone would say that the guy wasn't being a disturbance, and they probably had a time limit on the question he could ask, since Kerry problem cost them 50k+...

I was more saying that I disagree with the concept of "free speech areas" rather than saying anything about this instance.

Such zones are actually pretty common at large political rallies, speeches, marches, etc. They're areas where dissenters are allowed to do whatever it is they feel like doing, and usually it's out of the way of the main festivities. This allows the event to be surrounded by supporters and not really have to interact with dissenters. President Bush has made pretty wide use of them (to be fair, I think Clinton did too). In some cases, you can be arressted/detained for dissent/gestures/whatever made outside of those "free speech areas."

I think that, in general, using them is bullshit.

But, I don't think any of that really applies in this particular case. The dude was definately resisting arrest, and using the taser was justified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:05PM 
Major

I could be wrong, but wouldn't the University be considered 'private property', therefore they can more or less tell you what you can and cannot say on that property.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry, that is just how I viewed it. It seems that if a speaker is paid by the University to come and speak they don't want some nutjob running his mouth forever about who knows what...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:12PM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Holtman Hall
paulmyers00 wrote:
The guy who posted this video on Youtube, claims that the kid came running in with a few cops already behind him.

It sounds to me like the kid, for whatever reason, didn't attempt to properly ask his question to start with. He must have been doing something else that was uncalled for or out of hand before he even got in the building...

there was a cop-lady standing right behind him before he starts asking his question. if that was the case, i highly doubt that she would have just let him stand there and ask away.

And then, the monkey died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:16PM 
Lieutenant General

From what I under stand, a public university, is "technically" a public area, same as with Elementary/Middle/High Schools, BUT they really aren't treated as such as far as I can tell. I could be wrong, but I think that "by the letter" they are public areas, they just don't get treated that way too often.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:16PM 
Major

Okay, then the question arises... Why was the 'cop lady' already standing behind him? If you look at that video there are already a few cops right behind him. I doubt that every person who stood up to ask a question was surrounded by cops before they even started...

I would conclude that he was a bit rowdy, or unruly outside, managed to sneak or scramble inside, and at that point was allowed to ask his question just because he was up at the mic...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:18PM 
Colonel

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
paulmyers00 wrote:

If that's the case, then I don't understand why they even allowed him to be there in the first place. Why bother waiting till the end of his question, just to forcefully remove him? The caption for the video says Kerry was willing to answer the question, Kerry goes along with the questioning, and Kerry even states "That's alright, let me answer his question (officers?)" (slightly better audio in this video, less crazy guy screaming) as the officers begin to detain him. Hell... Kerry is still trying to answer the guy's question while they're getting ready to taser him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:24PM 
Lieutenant General

WOW!!!!!
Quote:
Police, or the vast majority, are the strong arm of their Fascist Government leaders. They must have control and/or submission of the populace. Why? To control them. Why didn't Kerry speak up and say "Leave him alone, I'll answer that."? If this were a democracy 70% of the audience would have jumped on these swine and snapped the cops necks. Take your country back damn it!

That was from youtube...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:27PM 
Major

I just doubt that this kid was removed for asking Kerry a bunch of conspiracy theory questions, along with being unruly at the same time. The video that is nice and clear appears to be taken by someone that knew this kid was coming in to make a big scene, or it could've just been the University or local news taping the whole thing.

But, the video that I linked to was from some random person's cell phone. Why do you think that he pulled out his cell phone and starting recording before the kid even started asking his question?

If you read the video's caption, the submitter, states that the kid came running in with police already behind him. The cell phone guy must have suspected things to get out of hand because of the kid's behavior and the cops already following the kid...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:43PM 
Colonel

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
paulmyers00 wrote:
If you read the video's caption, the submitter, states that the kid came running in with police already behind him. The cell phone guy must have suspected things to get out of hand because of the kid's behavior and the cops already following the kid...

I'm not attempting to dispute the authenticity of the statements in the caption on youtube. I wasn't there, so I obviously don't know what happened prior to what is shown in the videos. My questions is, if this guy wasn't supposed to be there and they knew he was going to make a scene... why let him be there? Better yet, why give him a microphone? I think I've seen at least 4 different videos of the event. With 3 or 4 different cameras going (maybe more), I figure at least one of them caught something more than the clips that have been shown. I'm curious to know what really did happen before they gave him a mic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 1:51PM 
Brigadier General

An opinion from a libertarian texan cop, who dislilkes Kerry: http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007 ... -part.html

and

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007 ... inted.html

They're definitely worth reading.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 2:13PM 
Major

Wow, that was definitely some excellent reading. Thank you very much for your post.

Profile E-mail