Major General

Source: Fidelity
fuck the RIAA

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... is-in.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 9:30AM 
Drowning

Source: EE Building
fuck them hard, but this bitch was using kazaa, dumb enough to use that you deserve to be slapped. The price is quite absurd, considering most of the people in that jury box probably have just as many or more downloaded songs on their home PCs. It makes no sense.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 10:27AM 
post whore
post whore

Source: VPN
Things like this really call for jury nullification. It's an interesting concept and it seems to really apply in cases where the law obviously favors the corporations and not the people... it's a chance for the jury to disagree with the law & nullify it in that case. Unfortunately, most judges don't want juries to know anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 10:29AM 
post whore
post whore

"During Prohibition, juries often nullified alcohol control laws,possibly as often as 60% of the time"

Unfortunately I'd say we're mostly a nation of sheeple that won't do this now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 11:08AM 
Colonel

benm wrote:
"During Prohibition, juries often nullified alcohol control laws,possibly as often as 60% of the time"

I'm not sure I quite see the connection between brewing beer in your basement, and blatantly stealing copyrighted material... The fine is perhaps a little steep, but you have to know that they're going to continue to make examples of people until they feel they've achieved their goal (never?). Honestly, I'm not sure how much I can blame them either... If I created something, I imagine I'd want to protect my rights to it. I'm certainly not saying I support the RIAA or their tactics, but at the same time, can anyone honestly say that this girl didn't do anything wrong? You commit a crime, you get caught, you get punished...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 11:35AM 
Major General

Source: IT Staff
Altaica wrote:
benm wrote:

I'm not sure I quite see the connection between brewing beer in your basement, and blatantly stealing copyrighted material... The fine is perhaps a little steep, but you have to know that they're going to continue to make examples of people until they feel they've achieved their goal (never?). Honestly, I'm not sure how much I can blame them either... If I created something, I imagine I'd want to protect my rights to it. I'm certainly not saying I support the RIAA or their tactics, but at the same time, can anyone honestly say that this girl didn't do anything wrong? You commit a crime, you get caught, you get punished...

Yes, she commited a crime and should pay damages. How much is a song on iTunes? $1.00. So fine her $24. She didn't cause $220,000 in damages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 11:56AM 
Colonel

devil wrote:
Altaica wrote:
benm wrote:

Yes, she commited a crime and should pay damages. How much is a song on iTunes? $1.00. So fine her $24. She didn't cause $220,000 in damages.

"The fine is perhaps a little steep, but you have to know that they're going to continue to make examples of people..." Sucks for her, but she's certainly not the first case and certainly won't be the last. People should know by now what's at stake when they steal copyrighted material.

Of course, $24 isn't really fair either. Otherwise, what would be the incentive to not steal songs? You get caught and all you have to do is pay for them? I think that perhaps penalties similar to shoplifting would be fair... but oh well. I don't think she'll be downloading songs anymore. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 11:56AM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
devil wrote:

But remember she probably shared every song to at least one other person, so it should be more like $48

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 12:51PM 
Brigadier General

Source: RC I
Altaica wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure how much I can blame them either... If I created something, I imagine I'd want to protect my rights to it. I'm certainly not saying I support the RIAA or their tactics, but at the same time, can anyone honestly say that this girl didn't do anything wrong? You commit a crime, you get caught, you get punished...

I see what you're saying and some part of me agrees. It just really pisses me off that they do this because they _only_ make one billion a year instead of two* by using other peoples shit and claiming rights to it. How much of this settlement goes to the artists?

* figures aren't actual since I just pulled them out of my ass to make a point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 1:07PM 
Major General

Source: IT Staff
Chankster wrote:
devil wrote:

But remember she probably shared every song to at least one other person, so it should be more like $48

Perhaps, but regardless of the settlement amount, how much of it is going to the artist? The people who are really losing out when you pirate music? Probably nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-05-2007 1:18PM 
Colonel

berto wrote:
Altaica wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure how much I can blame them either... If I created something, I imagine I'd want to protect my rights to it. I'm certainly not saying I support the RIAA or their tactics, but at the same time, can anyone honestly say that this girl didn't do anything wrong? You commit a crime, you get caught, you get punished...

I see what you're saying and some part of me agrees. It just really pisses me off that they do this because they _only_ make one billion a year instead of two* by using other peoples shit and claiming rights to it. How much of this settlement goes to the artists?

* figures aren't actual since I just pulled them out of my ass to make a point

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying as well. As I said, I don't really support the RIAA or their tactics, but nothing goes to the artists either when people steal their music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 10-06-2007 12:51PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

What happened to the punishment fits the crime? This is at best equivalent to shoplifting, which has a MAXIMUM fine of $5,000 (or $25,000, I can't remember, it has been to long since I seen the poster in the wal-mart bathrooms). That is for shoplifting items of less than felony values. Here, the total items are worth $24. I believe that if you get caught, then you must be held accountable. But the $220,000 is total bullshit. The government needs to establish a maximum fine for this crap, otherwise, the RIAA is going to take over the world.

Before you know it, they will stop distributing music all together and their sole income will be the payments of these select victims.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 10-06-2007 11:22PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
I think a fair fine is $100-200 a song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 10-07-2007 5:37PM 
Major

Anything more than $10 per infringement is ridiculous. I understand that part of their argument is that if a song is being shared by someone using kazaa etc., then it could have been downloaded many times, thus compounding the 'damage'. But that is a 'could have' and not something that the RIAA can prove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 10-07-2007 5:56PM 
Drowning

Source: McNutt Hall
Sadly our system sucks. Look at investment when they charge you $50 per light bulb to replace, or $60 a stair to clean. Fair and reasonable dont have meaning anymore to those calling the shots.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail